Planet 10 FF125wk dFonken125T 0v8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's pretty much the story, the full range speakers that I have been working with are very sensitive to small changes. (I did make 9 boxes)

Too Bad.......I liked the look of the 2nd pic, (horizontal grain), but don't sound near as good as shown in pic 1. I'm going to try to rebuild them.

The speakers in Pic one; sometimes I think somebody is right behind me, and often look.

That would be hard now.............

Going to re-build these (this was pic 2), using cheery on the vents/outsides.

The two pics may look close, but they were taken at different times and distance.

Attachments

• P1040697.JPG
    P1040697.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 423
The cabinet is 3/4 baltic birch on the outside (17 or 19 layers) and i used basic ply on the inside to save on funds. Even though you still have leftovers from a 5x5 sheet it worked out. THe stain is General Java, as well as the clear coat. Just their basic gloss. They are heafty speakers due to the baltic, but I think that will help with sound-not that its a big driver. Total cost is 50 for the sheet of baltic, 100 for drivers, 15 dollars for wire and connectors, 10 dollars and a lunch to borrow my friends stain both.. so 175 total.. and some time. What a steal... you guys need to order this plan from Dave at Planet10. Listening thoughts to come later.

Good job on the finishing Jon.

I have to agree with you, the rectangle pair I am using just vanish into the background.

I'm going to build a trapeziod next, use it for the HT center channel, the rectangle pair will be used for the mains.

Will be using 18mm ply; I modify the build slightly, but it comes out the same in the end.

Nice job on the enclosures Jon,

Your going to really enjoy those speakers. I've built five trapezoidal enclosures so far and really enjoy building them. Dave has the ff85wkT that I built so, I've only heard them a couple of times, both times I was blown away by how good the sound. I had brought a couple of friends to Dave's, when Dave hooked them up for them to hear they literally sat on the floor, amazed at how good they sounded and filled Dave's big room.

Dave is going to have to answer to how much of a difference in sound it will make but I noticed you didn't trim the sides parallel. This has happened in one build before and I believe it was a fairly easy fix, you'll have to ask Dave and Chris about that. Hate to see you have to cut into a beautiful finish, hopefully it won't be necessary although esthetics it does make them look better.

Looking forward to seeing your future builds.
Bernie

Sorry about that Jon I didn't mean to imply that you screwed up. After reading Doug's post I checked the plans that I have from Dave and two of them had no notes, one of them being the first pair built the Mar-Ken12t. After that build I just look for the measurements and hadn't caught the notes. It's good to know that it won't effect the sound, the trapezoids are a fantastic design well worth the time to build.

Can you post a picture with your speakers with a reference to size to another speaker? I haven't seen the plans yet, has Dave given more then one design( trapezoid, wide trap, tall trap)? If so which did you build?

Bernie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.