Pitchfork pre-amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put 100r resistors in series with r22, r23, 32 and 33. Now the heatsink run stable at 59C. That's more then I'm comfortable with, but it's ok for testing.
It plays music through spooky ips and 5p Slewmonster and works fine. It seems to be more neutral then the dcb1 buffer, but it's hard to say since I haven't listened to my stereo for a couple of days.

Attachments

• DSC_0844.jpg
    DSC_0844.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 356
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looks like everyone is ditching the TO92's. The company I used to work for up until about 1 mpnth ago, got out of that business in 2006/2007 - no money in it (i.e. the TO-92 package).

Time to get used to soldering SOT23's! Easy to do if you use a fine tipped soldering iron and some 0.8mm solder.

I am soldering down .5 mm pitch IC's with an iron. How are you re-flowing?

When I used to hand etch, I just used a toaster oven. I liked how parts would self align themselves.

Since I've switched to Chinese boards I've ran into problems with parts moving while baking. I think I'm trapping air under the parts due to the silkscreen outlines under the parts. I'm in the process of building a better temperature controller and I'm liking going to need to use stencils for the paste.

How does it sound? Is your volume changes still pop free?

It sounds great! I have been using it for a while using a big heatsink clamped to the small aluminium sink before I relocated the transistors, no pops or other noise.
It took a while to get used to the sound compared to the dcb1 buffer, the pitchfork sounds more transparent.
It really brings the slewmaster to life when I crank the volume. :)

To have a new layout you may start with this ..single sided ..
Power suplly in the center an audio on each side .. an a few jumper
THere is also a track at ground level to work as a gard betwen sections
All power transistor in a single line to fit heatsink.

Attachments

• pdfpitch1.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 125
  • pdfpitch2.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.