Pioneer 8" BOFU BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BTW that tweeter was a Vifa TW269A in series with a 1 uF
cap.

Here's the impedance curves of the 8" alone and in a
transmission line with the tweeter.

Attachments

• pioneer bu20fu20 z in tl.gif
    pioneer bu20fu20 z in tl.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,256
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, a 1uf cap is first order so only rolls off 6dB an octave so even though it starts high, it isn't affecting much right away.
Also , it's a 6 ohm tweeter I believe, which I think means it actually crosses even higher..

However, with the new tweeters that I 'm using, which are a bit more efficient, I find 2uF is just right.

Nelson, those are the tiny ones with the mylar dome? I thought that they were Aiwa? I like them better already..

That's not what it states right here. Do you think they may have changed things of late?

Paper cone with poly foam surround. Incorporates a center whizzer cone. Recommended for sound reinforcement or single component cabinets where a wider frequency coverage pattern is required. * Power handling: 60 watts RMS/85 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 1-1/2" * Impedance: 8 ohms * Frequency response: 36-17,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 20 oz. * Fs: 43 Hz * SPL: 90 dB1W/1m * Vas: 1.75 cu. ft. * Xmax: 3.0mm * Qms: 3.02 * Qes: .62 * Qts: .51 * Net weight: 5 lbs. * Manufacturer model number: B20FU20-51FW * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 8-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 7-1/4", Mounting Depth: 4-1/8", Magnet Diameter: 4-1/4", Magnet Height: 1-1/4".

Re: I have a cunning plan...

I have just emailed PE for a shipping quote for 2x 290-045 (BOFU) and 2x275-025 (the neo dome tweeters that GYChang used). It came to $76.09, so with VAT added on top (disregarding duty for now) it comes to £75.63. Quite a lot really, but still cheaper than 2x monacor sp200x+shipping+tweeters.

Who else in the UK wants a set of BOFUs? Reckon the S+H would be less per driver if we order more of them, and we can get the PE multi-purchase discount.

James

Re: Re: I have a cunning plan...

jrevillug said:
I have just emailed PE for a shipping quote for 2x 290-045 (BOFU) and 2x275-025 (the neo dome tweeters that GYChang used). It came to $76.09, so with VAT added on top (disregarding duty for now) it comes to £75.63. Quite a lot really, but still cheaper than 2x monacor sp200x+shipping+tweeters.

Who else in the UK wants a set of BOFUs? Reckon the S+H would be less per driver if we order more of them, and we can get the PE multi-purchase discount.

James
Thats not too bad, considering my order came to about 80 dollars with shipping (though I also purchased some speaker wire and caps, around 70 for raw drivers and tweeters). 75 euros comes out to what, 100 USD? No idea what the current transfer rate is :D

jrevillug said:
75GBP comes out at about $150USD. Should make it clear- on top of the drivers, the shipping is $75.

The MOnacors work out at about £75 too.

Scary thing is, I could get a pair of Fostex FE207E for around £140 exc. delivery.

James
Im not sure if its worth it for that price, beauty of the Bofu in the states after all is its price :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I may overemphasize the price thing when discussing the BOFU BIBs.
The sound itself is really very good.- all warm and friendly. You just want to listen to them..

We recently built a pair of FE168ESigma BIBs, and at the moment the highs are harsh and not extended. I've heard what others say here, so I suspect that they just need more breaking in-and possibly a tweeter rolled in very high.. But at the moment it's much better to listen to the BOFUs

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
Of course I tried the 1 uF in series with the Pioneer 8", but it
was a bit thin on the bottom.

Funny, Nelson!

FWIW, I use the little neo tweet and like it with anywhere from 1uF to 2uF. Just depends on how and where you use them. But if you get too much energy down low, they can make rude noises - so be careful.

panomaniac said:

Funny, Nelson!

FWIW, I use the little neo tweet and like it with anywhere from 1uF to 2uF. Just depends on how and where you use them. But if you get too much energy down low, they can make rude noises - so be careful.

I will probably start with the 2uf and work down as needed with mine, when I finish the cabinets. My hearing is a little bit less than perfect anymore, considering my age, and vetran status. If it cuts off too high, I may not be able to appreciate the added tweaters. ;)

However, I still have two more projects with loose ends to complete before I can start on my six sided enclosures that will house them. I think I pretty much have everything, including the veneer for the enclosures. I just need to get through with those little speakers I have on the "veneer" thread, and another pair of 6 1/2" MTMs to finish up.

Variac said:
We did as recommended. Get a pile of caps, two of each:
2, 1, 0.5, 0.25 uF
It was very clear when we hit the right point., .25 uF each way wasn't as good as 2 for us with the BOFU in a BIB

Yeah, I got a bunch of them too, along with my two FOFUs and those two tiny little tweaters. They are so small, you almost think of them as minature toys. :D

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A great thing about those tweeters is how easy they are to mount- just drill the hole and push them in..I had to sand the hole a bit, but still. I don't know if not having them flush is really bad, but they sound good, and I think because they are used only at the uppermost frequencies, if doesn't seem as important.

Variac said:
A great thing about those tweeters is how easy they are to mount- just drill the hole and push them in..I had to sand the hole a bit, but still. I don't know if not having them flush is really bad, but they sound good, and I think because they are used only at the uppermost frequencies, if doesn't seem as important.

I was just amazed at how good the response curve was for these little buggers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A buddy of mine sent me a pair of these little tweets about a year ago. I've since used them on all sorts of projects. They work well in almost every case.

They seem not to get the attention they deserve because they don't look fancy and they don't cost fancy. But used right they really do add a lot to most speakers projects. They are as good, if not better than, most drivers used in these pages.

How can you resist? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.