Piezo Tweeter for Dogs

Gold_xyz said:
New schematics III

This satisfies me more than the old version.
on Pspice it work very good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I also think that it can easily be converted to single supply...
Looking at your latest schematic, I'm confused about the BDW93C (TIP142 & TIP147) & BDW94C (TIP142), which one is p-n-p & which one is n-p-n? Also, a single-supply would be nice. Thanks for this great job, it is almost at a point where I can duplicate it, given my non-existent skills.

ardo said:

Looking at your latest schematic, I'm confused about the BDW93C (TIP142 & TIP147) & BDW94C (TIP142), which one is p-n-p & which one is n-p-n? Also, a single-supply would be nice. Thanks for this great job, it is almost at a point where I can duplicate it, given my non-existent skills.

yep a single 12v supply with the same output would be VERY nice :)
Much simpler in my case if i can connect to a 12v battery, rather than runing cables.

phase_accurate said:

Sorry I should have added: Making them loud is easy for ANY supply voltage (anyone for 1.5 volts ???), if the relative bandwidth doesn't need to be very high.

Regards

Charles

and i can build a coldfusion generator out of match sticks :D

Play fair.................. you can't tell people you have the solution to there problems and then not tell them. Come on, if you know how its done and there are several people here without your experiance that would benifit from your help, post away...............Please.

Sorry for being a bit mean but I already hinted at possible solutions before.

If you don't need a wide frequency range you can use the piezo's property of being a lossy capacitor to transform the input voltage to the desired level.

One possibility is a series tank circuit (left) and the other one is a parallel tank circuit with a tapped inductor (right). C-large is there to block DC and might not be needed in some cases (like bridge topologies). Another possibility, though very static in terms of output frequency would be the push-pull oscillator that I once posted within another thread.

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• piezo_xfrm.gif
    piezo_xfrm.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 313
Graham Maynard said:
Only there as an example !
Puts 24V square across the piezo without transformer.

I had one with three Motorola piezos and LM3900 warble driving a capacitor firing transistor npnp arrangement and step-up transformer (pcb about 1 x1 x2 inches) each but can't find the circuit I developed.
The beats were unbearable.

Was being designed as an airport bird scarer, one box could scare birds up to 1/2 mile.

Motorolas very directional at hf, thus if aimed into a neighbours garden will work over a very narrow range.

Any chance you managed to find the circuit? also can you remember what tranny you used.

cheers

I built the PCB for the attached schmetic of goldxyz with the power supply of +25 and -25 volts. It works fine up to 8kHz
and both transistor pairs remain cool but if you increase the frequency above 8kHz, the output waveform across the load(piezo or resistance) is no longer symmetrical. The negative portion of the output becomes longer than the positive. Also the NPN transistor extremly heats up at frequencies higher than 8kHz.
Still trying to get symmetrical output across the piezo with both cool transistors.

ml342001 said:
I built the PCB for the attached schmetic of goldxyz with the power supply of +25 and -25 volts. It works fine up to 8kHz
and both transistor pairs remain cool but if you increase the frequency above 8kHz, the output waveform across the load(piezo or resistance) is no longer symmetrical. The negative portion of the output becomes longer than the positive. Also the NPN transistor extremly heats up at frequencies higher than 8kHz.
Still trying to get symmetrical output across the piezo with both cool transistors.

thank you a lot, ml342001!
you have saved me to build a not good working project.
I'm trying to contact the original maker to see if it has improved his project.
Thanks again