Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

So, I had some leather left over from a college art project I did some 30+ years ago. I finally put it to some good use--embellishing the box for a H2 V2 preamp...
IMG_2825.jpg

And here are the guts:
IMG_2824.jpg

Yes, that's 4 inputs. Kinda overkill, but I had a 4-throw switch lying around....
IMG_2826.jpg

Speaking of overkill...
IMG_2682.jpg

Yeah, ball bearings for the volume knobs.

The faceplate & knobs are made from purpleheart & leather. The rest of the box is made from stainless steel & birch plywood. AB 25K volume pots. H2 V2 board and jfets from the diyAudio store. Not terribly satisfied with the volume pot shaft extensions; shouldn't be too hard to replace them somewhere down the road. Sounds great, as can be expected from a Nelson Pass design. Thank you, Nelson! Listening to a little Clark Terry now...

Reactions: 11 users
BA3 Front End......

Curly maple stained with aniline dye and lacquered
Panel/panel lettering is rattle can laquer and stencils made on a vinyl cutter.......letters are white lacquer on black lacquer

3 inputs: Bluetooth ($2 Ebay PCB), digital/USB (Ebay DAC), and Line in
Salas Shunt Reg Supply

works great.....

Attachments

• BA3 front.jpg
    BA3 front.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 324
  • BA3 Front 2.jpg
    BA3 Front 2.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 276
  • BA3 inside.jpg
    BA3 inside.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 260
  • BA3 Rear.jpg
    BA3 Rear.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 256
  • BA3 rear 2.jpg
    BA3 rear 2.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 240
  • BA3 side.jpg
    BA3 side.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I cooked up a couple of F7-ish boards from @mareli . Everything went smoothly with SMPS for testing. Test speakers passed, so up it goes in the main system!

Big fun. Sounds great so far. I will need to add local cap banks and maybe output DC protection…

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: 4 users
Just so that those interested can re-used and modify to their linking (bear in mind that i mentionned the NuTube preamp is a bit too high and the location for the potentiometer is a bit too low, post above) and to use the forum as an archive, here are the Schaeffer Front Panel Design files for front and back panels
Hope it can be useful to some.
Thanks for the Files, Looks nice

Dieter

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 126
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I really like the external dual mono linear setup. Allows for more space in the various +/-24VDC class A amps. Once it's set in the system, it's a known quantity of quality. Swapping out the amp flavor of the month is easier. And lighter! The separate power supply can be a massive monster that rarely gets moved.
If you don't have a separate chassis ready, I'd say go ahead and build the M2X all together, rather than wait for more shipments. You can move the power supply out to another chassis when the time comes. Although that means you'll need another amp to go in place of the M2X while it is under surgery... :spin:

Reactions: 1 user
The beauty of where I'm at, I've got a pair of F4 clones in the system as my main amps. Wanted to try the M2x and various daughter boards but also have a bench amp for speaker building purposes. So, I could definitely take the time to wait on another chassis. In the least, like you pointed out, I'll have a bench supply for any other pre/amps to build.
Next steps are to do some layout measurements to see if a 2U mini-Dissipante will work.

Hello! My small adition to ACA builders - decided to connect wires using connectors - FASTON 2.8mm and inputs via PSH 3pins with the middle one removed (one channel is 4pin because I had only one 3pin). Wiring of the back panel is very simple for now - just for simple stereo amp.
To be honest I did not have much expectations (mainly max. power), but it sounds amazing and power is more than enough. I have a single-ended tube amp featuring 6C33C Russian power triodes and the sound is pretty similar. A class is very good, but damn that thing is hot :)
Thank You Mr. Nelson. P.S. I have to look to other Papa`s (hope I can call You that way) stuff :)
IMG_20240106_163524.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Likely not very interesting to anyone because I keep showing variations of the same thing, but my latest amplifier front end shenanigans looks like this. Didn't mess with boosted rails from an external supply or anything, but I have some bootstrapping going on to help with voltage swing. There's not too much "Stasis" left in it after all my massaging. So compared to the previous version at #6779, gain is now 14db (5X) with some new resistor values. R1=R3=16.2K... R2=R4=82.5K. Got rid of the input filter cap (C1) using the same trick as NP does on the new F5m, fat (enough) input resistor + combined gate capacitance of the jfets. Feedback cap is now a 3.3uF Panasonic polypropylene, thanks to the resistor change that keeps the cutoff low enough. The IPS get the same "lender" connection like the updated FE '22 has, and also the same 750 ohm in place of R5/P1. There's a 12 ohm degen resistor on the VAS emitter. Also was able to get rid of the lag compensation cap (miller). I had just a little overshoot with no compensation at all, 3.3pf in parallel with the feedback resistor (lead comp) seemed to be perfect. I didn't have a 3.3pf cap at the time so I have three 10pf caps (COG/NPO) in series instead, maybe even better VOLTCO in that case? It does see the full voltage swing right there, might be a good thing. The 20kHz square wave is perfect and the 100kHz signal is quite good also, probably the best I've had. I added a simple RC bootstrap on the positive rail, just to help the clipping behavior, since the negative rail still has the bootstrapped VAS (now a 1:1.5 ratio, 1.2K / 1.8K). I kept those values conservative, favoring a fast response rather than shooting for the lowest possible cutoff, while still being "low enough". So I have a 1.5K and 10uF series string there. SissySIT OS gets some of those cheap Dayton film and foils for coupling, just to try those out (no picture). Just one evening of listening so far, but a promising start..

Attachments

• latest stasis fe.jpeg
    latest stasis fe.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: 1 user