Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Hi peppenní, I'm from Bari, you're more Southern than me! I often look at your beautiful builds, congrats! Hope you'll give me an hand with some tips when I'll build the Iron Pre from @Zenmod. I'm waiting for the kit to be available, but it's taking sooo long... Can't wait!

Cheers from Santa's town!

Gaetano.

Se we all from the South??? Gaetano I am as skilled with electronics as I am with Chinese, with the help of the guys in my thread about the F4 I am at least learning how to check the bias and other little things, my hope is to make so the F4 can amplify the whole input signal as it's now running with about 120mV rather than 200+mV (I might push it further as the chassis sure allows enough cooling but don't feel the need to do so until I can tell if, once running fine, it does well for my speakers) and also to adjust the DC offset, maybe I will come ask for your help in the (very) near future.

Hi

Here are pictures of an M2x with B1 Nutube Preamp, 1st as rough sheet for components placement, then components in a laser cut cardboard mimicking the inside of a Mini-Dissipante 4U, last the final product in the real chassis.
It is as "planned" but i did a few mistakes which could have translated into the components not fitting.
= the front panel is in fact bigger (higher/taller) than the heatsink and i didn't notice it from the 2D given by Moduloshop. I should have been more careful. But i played to quickly with my own made 3D...
So
a. bottom left, the ALPS pot of the B1 Nutube Preamp is just 2mm above the bottom metallic plate holding the component inside
b. on top, the preamp board is very close to the top cover. Hence output wires may touch the cover depending on the angle = i will do something to minimise future potential issues.
c. the holes to have access to the preamp potentiometer are well placed, but my screwdriver is not long enough... have to find a thin and long one!
If i had to do it again, i would have put the volume control bottom left 5 or 10mm above (same for the switch) & preamp with nutube 10mm below, put bigger holes for access to the preamp pot.

That's it.
Maybe it will give ideas to others who would avoid my mistakes.

Attachments

• M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-1.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-1.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 502
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-5.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-5.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 471
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-4.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-4.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 454
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-6.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-6.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 477
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-8.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-8.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 491
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-9.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-9.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 504
  • M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-10.jpg
    M2X-B1_NuTube_Preamp-10.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: 6 users
Hi

1) To Mikerodrig27 :
a. i planned to have the back panel with threads to put a Noir preamp (which i had), a B1 Korg Nutube preamp (pictures, main intend) and wanted provision for others, like ACP+ & Wayne stage
Yet, those wouldn't fit due to size (ACP+) and bad interaction with Noir/Nutube thread & holes for switches
So i simplified. See final back renderings of the panels made
b. there is provision for headphone jack (if Noir were to be used or something else placed inside later)
c. There are holes in the back to have RCA connections going directly to the power amp (to be used with an external preamp)
And others holes to have RCA connection going to the front preamp ( then inside to the power amp.)
[rat's nest! i have to do a bit of cable management]

2) To SRMMcGee :
a. With the Noir preamp, it sounded nice for all music except some rock/hard rock (very much compressed...)
b. With the B1 Nutube preamp, it is much better sounding to me and more of the rock/hard rock is enjoyable. (before i could only listen to those through tube headphones)
But everything is way better than previous Marantz PM6004.
More versatile than a tube amp i have and as nice
Other have discussed preamp / amps in the forum a. & b. are the only thing i can comment on.

Take care
[edit: Moutain View inputs for the time being]

Attachments

• Front-Panel-Back-2preamp-only.png
    Front-Panel-Back-2preamp-only.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just so that those interested can re-used and modify to their linking (bear in mind that i mentionned the NuTube preamp is a bit too high and the location for the potentiometer is a bit too low, post above) and to use the forum as an archive, here are the Schaeffer Front Panel Design files for front and back panels
Hope it can be useful to some.

Attachments

• ModuloShopHifi2000.zip
    7 KB · Views: 107
Hi,
Almost finish with my Aleph 1.2
I started the projekt 13 years ago! Now I only have to power them up for the very first time, but i'm not in a hurry.
They messured L680xW480xH400mm and the weight about 65kg.
I have Pass design i mind when I made the front, its made of 20+25mm aluminium plates, just for design.
kk-pcb.net and sjostromaudio.com have delivered the pcb's, other ones are DIY like VU-meter pcb, DC protection, T-toggle for switch.
The cooling fins from heatsinkusa.com, and I choose the 10.080" 16 inch tall x 10pcs. I split two of them so each side are made of 2½pc.
The picture with the set up contains a look a like HPA-1, but is also made by me with Whammy inlet. Comming up soon:)
The speakers are mostly Dynaudio element and the front speaker are the Dynaudio model "Finale" but with upgraded element.
Missing in the set up are my Aleph 1.7 who are almost finnished on the building table. (Sorry for misspelled).
I hope you will enjoy the pics below.
Best regards, Mikael from Sweden.

Aleph 1.2 1.jpg
Aleph 1.2 2.jpg
Aleph 1.2 3.jpg
Aleph 1.2 4.jpg
Aleph 1.2 5.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 33 users
The special front PassLabs power amps have with a kind of "double plate front" (which is replicated at the amp above). I have the imagination that the front has a practical purpose to serve as handles to lift the amp? .....maybe it is design only also on original Pass amps?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Almost finish with my Aleph 1.2
I started the projekt 13 years ago! Now I only have to power them up for the very first time, but i'm not in a hurry.
They messured L680xW480xH400mm and the weight about 65kg.
I have Pass design i mind when I made the front, its made of 20+25mm aluminium plates, just for design.
kk-pcb.net and sjostromaudio.com have delivered the pcb's, other ones are DIY like VU-meter pcb, DC protection, T-toggle for switch.
The cooling fins from heatsinkusa.com, and I choose the 10.080" 16 inch tall x 10pcs. I split two of them so each side are made of 2½pc.
The picture with the set up contains a look a like HPA-1, but is also made by me with Whammy inlet. Comming up soon:)
The speakers are mostly Dynaudio element and the front speaker are the Dynaudio model "Finale" but with upgraded element.
Missing in the set up are my Aleph 1.7 who are almost finnished on the building table. (Sorry for misspelled).
I hope you will enjoy the pics below.
Best regards, Mikael from Sweden.

View attachment 1152672

Very impressive DIY work Mikael, congratulations! :)

Reactions: 1 user