Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Pass Burning Amp

Here are a few pictures of my completed BA-2 and BA-1. It has a separate PSU enclosure. Its kinda hard see in the pictures(when the room lights are on) but the Pass logo is lit red (burning) when the amp is on. I mounted a toggle switch, to switch between the 2. I find myself listening to the BA-1 more than the 2. Both sound better than any amp I've owned, but I really like the BA-1. It is my first single ended amp.

Chad

Attachments

• DSC08270.JPG
    DSC08270.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 3,262
  • DSC08269.JPG
    DSC08269.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,186
  • DSC08278.JPG
    DSC08278.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 3,260
  • DSC08271.JPG
    DSC08271.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 3,273
  • DSC08264.JPG
    DSC08264.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSC08263.JPG
    DSC08263.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 3,128
Massimo,

Its a 4 pole plug/receptacle made by Cole Hersee rated for 30 amps DC. The PSU to Amp cord is 12 ga tinned wire. The toggle switch is located on the back of the amp enclosure, it is a double throw dual pole switch, that switches the V+/V-. You can kinda see the power connector in the power supply picture.

Zen,

Yes, it did get a little more crammed than I had envisioned in my head. I made it so all the DC offset adjustments and the bias on the BA-2 was easy to adjust. The BA-2 boards are on the top, so they are easy to take measurements. If the BA-1 ever acts up I will have to do some disassembly to troubleshoot it. Not a big deal except cleaning and redoing the Mica and Goop.

Attachments

• DSC08258.JPG
    DSC08258.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,667
Last edited:
Ok, now that is original thought and implementation. Wow!

MY F5 tower :)

Pic 16f628 remote control, (power on/off, volume and input selector).
UPC 1237 protect.
OPA 2134 preamp, LME 49600 buffer.
2x47000 uf kendeil, 2x15000 nichicon
300w 2x18 toroid transformer.

thanks NELSON PASS.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The logo is reversed engraved in a piece of 1/4" plexiglass. That way the front feels smooth. It is edge lit with red led rope light that is rated for 24v DC. The back has a piece of brushed alum. against it to give it the silver look and direct the light thru the logo. I plan on doing a similar enclosure for my F5. I already have the plexi engraved with the Firstwatt logo. When I put it together I will take a few pictures of the process. The wood is Bubinga finished with a 2 part Dupont marine finish. (Yacht repair is my day job.) Yes, the jfets are in a nice home. What are we gonna due when you run out of them? I wish I could buy a bigger lot from you but between the wife and 3 daughters I always seem to have cut the hobby fund, so I get em as I need em and hope you don't run out.

Chad

F5 built by Tube Person

I scrapped my single ended Tube based class A amplifiers and reused the chassis to build a Mono Block version of The First Watt F5. I added a capactince multiplier and a speaker protection circuit to the design. I have built quite a few amplifiers in my days, but this amplifier grabbed my ears and would not let go. I decided to build a quantity of four Mono Blocks and Biamp the system. Best the system has sounded in 30 years.

Attachments

• 10-20-09_1428.jpg
    10-20-09_1428.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,875
  • Image093.jpg
    Image093.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 2,740