Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2000
Paid Member
That tablecloth is epic!

Shrooms taste good! Shame I'm beating up that table cloth by building things on it...

Sooo How does it sound ?
Better, same, or lesser than an F6 ?

Ok, so I'm a bit greedy in the sense that I haven't let the amp settle/warm up enough to give it good listen yet. I got it to 10v waited 15 minutes and plugged it into the dining room system. Listened for 10 minutes, then shut it off and went to bed.

There's always a first impression and it was this- not harsh at all, very smooth.
vocal mid-range like the F6 Jfet, a little better than the F6 mosfets, and verging on the mid-range of the L'amp vFet choke loaded version. I haven't heard anything better than the vFET L'amp mid-range, except maybe some high dollar tubes stuff. My memory is not perfect, but it sounded bloomy like Schubert's (moniker) M2 I heard a while back. When I say "bloomy" I mean that in a good way. Very tube-like (whatever that means, right?).
It's saturated with sound. Basic imaging is good. Bass is a bit loose compared to my Mini-A. Can't crank it up (90db speakers).

To be fair, it needs to be warmed up properly. Great first impression though.
I would not hesitate to put the ACA on the tweeter of an active 2-way or efficient full-range.

I will re-adjust it tonight and let it warm up properly. :)

V.

There's always a first impression and it was this- not harsh at all, very smooth.
vocal mid-range like the F6 Jfet, a little better than the F6 mosfets, a
V.

Thank you for the feedback effort.
But it is a wee bit Ambiguous.
Don't both DIYaudio version amps use the ..Same 240 mosfets.. ?
Think I'll build Another F6 though. It's proving to be 'Just Fine'.
Been thru the two varying amps nonsense in a previous biamp effort.
It proved a problem/waste of time.
No wish to repeat that.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Recalibrated but it didn't move but a couple hundredths of a volt after setting it the first time. After two hours of warm-up it still sounds very nice. The bass tightened up a bit and a bit better behaved at higher levels. Very pleasing sound.

Fun amp to build and definitely worth the effort.

F5 V3

First power up and biasing using variac...very nice to adjust.

630Va Noratel + 8x22000uF Mundorf.

Thanks to Mr Pass.

KM

Attachments

• Oppstart First Watt F5.jpg
    Oppstart First Watt F5.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 1,743
First, sorry for my english.

I just build a F5 turbo v1 and want to share the pleasure with you ladies and gentleman.

Here are the photos of my F5T.

And also, I uploaded few sound test videos to YouTube. So you can have a concept of my machine.

DIY AUDIO - F5 Turbo V1 (test 1)
https://youtu.be/dYz4HRbV2y8

DIY AUDIO - F5 Turbo V1 (test 2)
https://youtu.be/UlvzqjkepZk

DIY AUDIO - F5 Turbo V1 (test 3)
https://youtu.be/O3zrVeKKnJI

Is your F5T has the similar sense of hearing?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,461
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,416
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 857
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 835
just be sure that these bolts (toroid mounting) are not having electrical contact on top , with anything

No, definitely no contact, made double sure.

What is the public consensus on speaker protection? I briefly measured, the boards I have seem to increase the DC offset, roughly from 8mV to 18mV. Have to admit I did not even inquire how this circuit works, should take a look into it