Pictures of my amp (not nearly complete)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if you are worried about growth maybe you should use some of that blue stuff that goes inside water beds.

BTW is there anything with a higher heat capacity than water? antifreeze lessens the heat capacity of water, but it also changes the freeze and boiling point, which is why it is used.
water wetter is good stuff, it wil make a cars coling system run measurable degrees cooler due to the better liquid - metal heat transfer.

kilowatt - you saif you screwed the tubes together? Doesnt that leave a potential leak at every screw? Wy not weld it ?

I was going to try something like this with an A75 amp a while back. Water pumps are noisy, so I was going to put the pump, heat exchangers, fans, and reservoir in a separate chassis and run hoses between the amp and the cooling system. Put the colling system chassis in another room, or hang it out a window. I figured I'd fill the thing with that weird flourescent green car radiator fluid and use clear tubing so it would look really neato. Like Reanimator!

I couldn't find a decent sized pump at a reasonable price (heatsinks are cheaper and quieter) even at surplus, so I decided against the whole idea. 500 gph seems excessive...

MR

"you saif you screwed the tubes together? Doesnt that leave a potential leak at every screw? Wy not weld it ?" The screw holes are sealed with epoxy, so they should not leak. I could not weld it because I had no access to a TIG welder at the time I made the block (I do now because school has started again).

"I couldn't find a decent sized pump at a reasonable price" I got my 500gph pump at Petsmart. It was $50, and it's pretty quiet. Large heatsinks can cost more than that.

"BTW is there anything with a higher heat capacity than water?" Mercury has a higher heat capacity than water. Gallium is even better, maybe the best substance for cooling an amp, but mercury is toxic and expensive, and gallium is very hard to come by. Also it's melting point is 33C, so it would freeze up easily. I think I will stick with water.:)

for a better heat exanger you could use wath they use in nuclear reactor. In french we call it "eau lourde" wich mean heavy water but i am not sure if tahts the term. It's not easy to get it here in Canada but in europe it should be possible...maybe...:hot:

Heavy water (water in which each hydrogen molecule is replaced with one of deuterium - the 2nd isotope of hydrogen) is used in nuclear facilities - specifically those which can produce weapons grade plutonium.

It is going to be highly regulated pretty much anywhere on the planet, I'm guessing, other than some middle eastern states. Having said that, the people you go to purchase the heavy water from may well have a supply of surplus tanks and uranium-238 to sell you as well. :)

It should be noted that you must be very careful that the heavy water you purchase hasn't been previously "used" for its typical application before either. The deuterium atoms in the heavy water undergo heavy neutron bombardment when used in a nuclear reactor, and tend to absorb the neutrons from time to time, creating tritium, which is quite radioactive.

If you were to get pure heavy water (D2O), it's not harmful to your health, though. Its use in nuclear reactors as opposed to normal water is because of its properties with regards to the nuclear reaction, not due to any higher thermal conductivity or capacity. Deuterium is 600 times less likely than hydrogen to absorb an additional neutron, which makes it much more desirable than normal water.

At any rate, moral of the story? Stick with normal H2O. :angel:

Kilowatt said:
I haven't worked on the amp for awhile (but I bet no one missed me:) ), I have been doing other electric stuff (high voltage pulsed power), sort of a much-needed vacation from audio and amp bulding, but I will get back to it some now and hope to have all channels of the amp running within an month's time (but maybe that's a bit optomistic).

"high voltage pulsed power?" Sounds like a Tesla Coil ;) or a Marx Generator. or even a "quarter crusher." :) I've been meaning to finish "Project Groucho, which sits about 95% done on the floor behind me..... ;)

Back to the topic at hand. I remember seeing your "cooling schematic" a month ago, but it didn't hit me until now.... With one pump and two aqua sinks in parallel can lead to some heat problems. The water will tend to flow through the sink with the least resistance to the flow. All things being equal, that's the one with the shorter path. Electrical analogy: with two resistors in parallel, the current favors the lower resistance (executive summary ;) ). Therefore, the larger sink will run hotter than the smaller one. It probably won't be a problem unless you're attempting to drive a 2-ohm sub to clipping all day long or are using an exceptionally healthy bias. :eek:

To fix it, the easiest option, IMHO, is to add a small ball valve on the smaller sink. Yes, another leak point, but you wouldn't want one amp to overheat while the other remains cool....

Stay :cold:

Mark Broker

Tritium.......they used that in the "Mike" Hydrogen Bomb to up its output, or should I say enhance its functionality. I wonder if Nelson could design a Tritium enhanced single ended power amp. A microgram of tritium injected into each MOSFET before encapsulation in a tuballoy casing......? You'd really need those cooling blocks then!
:eek:
Mark

"high voltage pulsed power" Yes, I obtained some large capacitors, including a 30uF 6kV defibrillator capacitor, and 6 x 55uF 15kV energy storage capacitors. I completed a high power switch for them, and have made a disc launcher with the defib cap. I have also prototyped a lateral disc launcher:D with some smaller caps (to see if it worked, and it does) and will make a larger version for the defib cap and a larger yet one for the big caps, maybe to shoot small sawblades or something about that size. I have completed a steel box for a quarter crusher, and can run it as soon as I get everything hooked up (not easy when you're working with 500MCM cable:eek: ). I am also working on an axial can crusher, similar to two opposing disc lauchers. I am also making a 6" x 30" 2-4kVA Tesla coil, once I get the 6" PVC (I have the wire), and various coilguns. Most of my time was spent either completing the things I did get done, or getting neat stuff and planning what to do with it (and school takes up alot of time too).

I admit I'm one of those people who is always "almost done" :rolleyes: , but I acutally do crank some stuff out once in awhile, and in the next weeks I should be completing some interesting things, including some more channels for my amp.:D

Anyway, back to the subject, I have thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would be a problem. Maybe I will have to add a valve to each block to control the flow rate. Yes, that's what I'll do. Because I actually do want 2 of the modified p3a channels on the big block to be able to drive 2ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.