Pics new 4-way Azura horn system, plus BIG bass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eagerly watching your progress!

Thanks.

Added 19mm hardwood trim to horn mouth. I did this to even out the opening...as the front of the horn was positioned forward by 19mm.

This will now be easier to fit the horn mouth extension piece.

A friend has AE TD15M's...so I may try them on the weekend, all things going well to finish the horns.

Attachments

• mouth trim on.jpg
    mouth trim on.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 516
Looking great! Looking forward to your impressions with the AE 15M if that's still in the cards. I've been thinking about a horn build and have read great things about AE (12s and 15s), but have yet to hear them.

Funny I'm hoping someone in Australia shares some listening impressions when AE HQ is located just 90 minutes from me!

I've built Carfrae, Big Fun Lowther, GOTO bass horns, Tannoys, Cornscala, Altec 620, Altec Stonehenge with 604...just love playing around...and the sound of a big cab is great.

With this bass horn, it's certainly a more ambitious project....

I'll keep you posted.

Well, I've heard the Big Fun Lowther (which to me is one of the better Lowther backhorns), and I would guess your new 515 horn sounds more ... well, solid and powerful, which is kind of an Altec trademark.

I'm contemplating a dual 416 (Alnico) for my own build, which might not have 100% of the impact of a compact bass horn, but should be more dynamic than a single 416. (6 dB more headroom than a single direct-radiator driver.)

My Brit friends pointed me to the Fane 15BX and 18BX for subwoofer applications, and they look very attractive, with dual-spider construction. Dual spiders are not common, even in prosound applications, but have an interesting advantage in preventing side-to-side rocking more effectively than a single spider, and if one of the spiders is reversed, 2nd-harmonic distortion from the spider is reduced.

OK, after quite some work, I have the horns playing.

Using temporary AE TD15M's (thanks Henry!)....while I sort out my own drivers, hopefully the 515 Altecs.

I've not mounted the horn mouth section yet....as I need to trim and sand.

I've played around with different room placement...and the Azura horns are currently sitting on top of the mid bass horns...probably too hight...but the sound stage is fantastic. Horns are angled down to meet listening position.

Playing with Minidsp....at present, I have the subs 20-70...with 48dB steep roll off at 20, and a 24dB roll off at 70.

The mid bass is running from 70Hz (24dB roll off) up to 400Hz (also 24dB).

The 340 Azura is running from 400Hz, with no tweeter.

The mid bass is very rich and fills the room. I needed to bring back the input volume setting for the horn...as its output is very high...it's about 10dB lower than the Lab12 subs.

I've not had much listening time...but I'm enjoying the sound.

One interesting thing....I've noticed little difference in bass depth when the horn mouth extension is removed...! It will be interesting to measure this.

Hopefully some recordings/measures to follow shortly.

Thanks for your interest in following this.

Attachments

• wool in.jpg
    wool in.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 211
  • wool felt in.jpg
    wool felt in.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 228
  • driver in.jpg
    driver in.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 221
  • driver in throat.jpg
    driver in throat.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 485
  • horns in lounge 3.jpg
    horns in lounge 3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 501
  • horns in lounge 2.jpg
    horns in lounge 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 513
  • horns in lounge 1.jpg
    horns in lounge 1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 514
  • horn mouth on.jpg
    horn mouth on.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 525
Nice work Andrew!

As I also have a Td15m-4a, but have not decided upon application yet, other than passband of 80-100 to 3-500 hz, I would love to get your view on the sound.

Best regards Gisle
Thanks.

I like the way the horn kicks...I played the main track from The Wall, Pink Floyd...where there's just the drum playing...very powerful.

Of course, it's quite some work building the horn...but rewarding.

I'm getting very rich bass down to 70Hz....

Hi Andrew, I like your project and another of your nice builds.

I know you based it on Martin Sneddon's design, presumably the one on his website?

Just thinking out loud here...

wonder what might be the result if the general concept was applied to a design using room corners?

Could the top crossover point be taken up to the 600Hz region?

I've little knowledge/experience of the fundamental theory and looking for some steers on understanding/modelling something along those lines; Hornresp?

Ray

Hi Andrew, I like your project and another of your nice builds.

I know you based it on Martin Sneddon's design, presumably the one on his website?

Just thinking out loud here...

wonder what might be the result if the general concept was applied to a design using room corners?

Could the top crossover point be taken up to the 600Hz region?

I've little knowledge/experience of the fundamental theory and looking for some steers on understanding/modelling something along those lines; Hornresp?

Ray

Hi Ray

Sure, corners and walls act as part of the flare...just need to get the right design.

The more I listen to mine, the more more I'm happy with the detailed bass without the big horn mouth flares added.

I co-designed a GOTO bass design to site against side walls per your question.

Attachments

• GOTO bass horn rocky mtn.jpg
    GOTO bass horn rocky mtn.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 270
hi atilsley!
can you compare Yuichi\Azura listening imressions?

Hi

Before Yuichi, I had a mix of mid range horns including Faital Pro eliptic 400hz, Altec multi 8005, 511/811, Stereolabs 250Hz stone horns, JBL clones etc.

I found the Yucchi was the better than the Altecs...in that it offerd no coloration...and a nice wide dispersion.

The Altecs, however, have a certain 'zing' to them that is not unpleasant...and offers a nice presentation.

The Azura (and similarly, my friend's ) offer a very smooth overall presentation that is simply unbeatable. The speakers vanish...and there's no coloration.

I've enjoyed Azura 340Hz in both 1 inch version (SeleniumDt220) and my current 340's with the two inch thoats with massive JBLs 2445's. The large format is unbeatable.

My Azura's were built (by me) with the two inch throats...but I used a P-Audio 2.0-1.4 inch adapter to suit my (then) Altec massive 288 drivers.

This is a fun journey...and it takes some learning...but very rewarding.

Don'ttell me you wouldn't want one of the Yuichi's per the attached pics (not mine)..?!

Andrew

Attachments

• Yuichi 1.jpg
    Yuichi 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 266
  • yuichi 2.jpg
    yuichi 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 177
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.