• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Hi all. Here's my second speaker tube amp made from wood around. For this I used a chestnut wood frame realized from an acquaintance carpenter, it is really nice and solid and I like the color nuances.

The amplifier is still like the first single ended, this time running with two 6V6gt tube and one 6AQ8. The voltage is lower and current too, so I can expect max. a 2.5W per channel. Notwithstandig the little power I can enjoy a quite round and detailed sound.

Yoy can try ECC85 instead for 6AQ8, Telefunken is realy good and schematic look similar to my ECC85-el84se with some changes. I like the look matt versus gloss, nice done.

Nothing matches Italian style. Probably sounds good too.

All good fortune,
Chris

Thanks, indeed this is as gift for the 50th of a friend of mine and I worried to make something estethically nice. I hope he'll have fun with it, I think it plays well. Respect to the other two with EL34-KT66 SE I have I find this a little "darker" but less fatiguing on long hearing: I could compare it to the HD650 on a headphone system.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Here is an amplifier I just finished. It is a high end headphone amplifier, commissioned by a friend, Zach Mehrbach of ZMF Headphones.

Input tubes are a pair of 5687 with parallel sections, IST coupled by transformers by Intact Audio, 45 outputs are fixed bias, output transformers are Electra-Print tapped for 300ohm, 120ohm, 32ohm, switch on the front panel changes the output tap. Filament supply is Rod Coleman, B+ is voltage regulated for separate regulators for R and L channels, bias supplies are also voltage regulated. 5687 heaters are DC regulated. Sockets are vintage Amphenol, volume knob is also vintage, front panel ammeters are new production Simpson. Power switch is on the rear panel. Chassis designed by me and machined / powder coated by Landfall Systems.

Pictured with some Tung-Sol 5687 and Philco globe 45s :)

AEG7Uaw.jpg

F2l3pVn.jpg

X2LMJDg.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I don't have a current photo of the interior, made some changes inside in the past 48 hours, maybe I'll take a new one.

Having Landfall do the machining on CNC is great, makes for a nice clean look, but really have to be confident the layout is spot on, don't want the chassis to arrive and have something not fit. Designing the chassis and doing the layout without the box in front of you is a lot of work.

Here is an amplifier I just finished. It is a high end headphone amplifier, commissioned by a friend, Zach Mehrbach of ZMF Headphones.

Input tubes are a pair of 5687 with parallel sections, IST coupled by transformers by Intact Audio, 45 outputs are fixed bias, output transformers are Electra-Print tapped for 300ohm, 120ohm, 32ohm, switch on the front panel changes the output tap. Filament supply is Rod Coleman, B+ is voltage regulated for separate regulators for R and L channels, bias supplies are also voltage regulated. 5687 heaters are DC regulated. Sockets are vintage Amphenol, volume knob is also vintage, front panel ammeters are new production Simpson. Power switch is on the rear panel. Chassis designed by me and machined / powder coated by Landfall Systems.

Pictured with some Tung-Sol 5687 and Philco globe 45s :)
What a lovely amp! Reminds me of Manley Labs, a manufacturer that constantly keeps inspiring me. Any inside pics?

It's starting to look more like a preamp now... :D

Now while I wait for the ADC to get here, I can start the wiring of the rest of the thing...
Looks very nice; I wonder about the dual transformer board close to the back panel. If these are audio input/output transformers, what is the manufacturer and part number? I also see a RC network on the transformer - any details about it?

Looks very nice; I wonder about the dual transformer board close to the back panel. If these are audio input/output transformers, what is the manufacturer and part number? I also see a RC network on the transformer - any details about it?

They are Triad TY-250P and I used them as isolation to break ground loops when running amplifiers on other branch circuits.

The RC network is a Zobel 1k5||1000pF - makes 10kHz square waves square and kills ringing.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
What a magnificent piece of work!

How do you specify a color like that? Did you pick the color from a color chart and did it turn out as expected?

Thanks! I ordered a few different swatches from a powder coating company in the USA, found the one I wanted and had it shipped to my guy Dave at Landfall Systems. The powder is Distant Blue from Columbia Coatings.

They are Triad TY-250P and I used them as isolation to break ground loops when running amplifiers on other branch circuits.

The RC network is a Zobel 1k5||1000pF - makes 10kHz square waves square and kills ringing.
Thanks a lot! It seems like these transformers are dirt cheap and I could use them in my projects, I hope that they don't get too much THD on lower frequencies.