• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Thanks guys,
I had virtually given up on tubes and sold most of them, after I had nearly disappeared up my own backside, building ever more complex push pull amps and becoming thoroughly disillusioned by the end of that road.
In the end, I bought a simple 25W solid state amp and just played that.

I was persuaded by a few British forum friends to go back to basics and just build a simple SET amplifier to try to get back to what I had had 5 years ago and maybe recapture the old DIY spirit.

No complex regulation, no DC filaments, just a simple choke input supply and a straightforward, well proven "input stage, driver stage, output stage" gain structure. A friend let me have a pair of old style Hammond 1627SE output transformers and I was good to go.

Because it uses the JJ 2A3-40, I cranked up the dissipation to 27W in the output tubes, so it develops a bit more power than a bog standard 2A3 amp. The downside is that the circuit would fry any "normal" 2A3 unfortunate enough to find itself plugged into the UX4 sockets. However, the 2A3-40 is a great tube so I don't feel I'm missing out.

The amp does what it says on the tin and plays music beautifully. :)

Last edited:
Well done, keep up the good work, have built a few valve amps myself, but haven't built any for the last few years, been too busy designing and developing full range planars. Nearly finished building these, will probably start building valve amps in the near future. Have thousands of valves to get on with, wish me luck.
:)

Now completed cabling, testing and ...listening. OTL headphone amplifier 6N6P differential input gain stage, broksie output buffer with paralleled 6BL7, 310 V supply.

Danilo

Attachments

• Amp1.jpg
    Amp1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 880
Thanks guys,<snip>

Interesting, Steve. Did I follow a thread of yours a while ago on another forum about the 6AS7 amp? If so, I remember being engaged for a while and eventually thinking I couldn't keep up. Too many changes, too much complexity for my tastes. But it DID sound enticing. Afraid I'm just into simple topologies and pursuit of the PDG (pretty damn good) as opposed to the perfect.

Interesting, Steve. <snip>

Oh yes, that was years and years ago :)
Regarding the complexity issue. It had become an obsession to be honest, and the more complexity I added, the worse the sound became, but of course, I was blind to this issue until I just thought, I've had enough, and got myself a little 25W solid state amp that got rid of the hassle and doubt.
The SET is simple, sounds frankly beautiful and will be left alone to play music.

Busy with a coil winder for signal transformers, not for big output types, Need that for the amplifier I busy with.

It is not yet ready I need still some parts who are underway.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN2619.JPG
    DSCN2619.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN2620.JPG
    DSCN2620.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSCN2621.JPG
    DSCN2621.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 997