• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Most of my designs went missing after a crash, but i recovered some. They are the most conservative designs i made so far

Attachments

• woodaluminiumclosedklein.jpg
    woodaluminiumclosedklein.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,192
small correction -> i have HUGE transformers! they are partially IN the enclosure, the thing on top is the part that doesnt fit in. I have an EI 15 core input tranny and two bigger bandcore output tranny's

the designs still have the kt88's, but i am using GU50's at the moment. I think they even look cooler with the cast aluminium "trashcans"

for clarity:

Attachments

• woodaluminiumopensmall.jpg
    woodaluminiumopensmall.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 3,177
Wow bas, this seems lik it is "een 1-2'tje" between 2 dutch guys with the same name on dit thread ;)

My final design has the transformers "fallen through" the bottom plate. The amp is placed on about 3 cm tall spike feet, so the transformers can stick out the bottom. This way, you get a completely free top plate, with only the tubes sticking out!

As might be derived from the pic with the cd player. I want to make a sound system that is "horizontally stacked". So if i have three components, it seems like they were extruded from the same thing.

You allso can see i removed all switches on that one. I wanted the enclosure to be as clean as possible.

Ever seen a B&O? they have these systems that have a black glass plate and it reacts to your finger touching the glass.

I have made infrared switches that work on basically the same principle.

Between the wood and the metal topplate is a 3mm gap. there you can switch the inputs! (on the aluminium design you can read the signs indicating the switches)

I am still not sure wther to make the volume switch that way too. I have made prototypes, but i think a knob is much more convenient when you want to rapidly turn the volume down...

ow, and as to fill this topic with pics: here's my first design i made, now you can see the evolution!

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,849
I'm an undustrial design student. If there's one thing i learned over the past years, is that NOTHING is original. EVERYTHING has been thought before, and new designs are allways a combination of insprations, given by past designs.

the trick is to use it.

The enclosure was thought up while paying with a piece of allsorts liquorice...can you imagine?

this one is inspired on an old studio-microphone i saw:

Attachments

• front indent amp2small.jpg
    front indent amp2small.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3,059
Hello folks!
What about making 807 sockets and fittings by yourself?
Too mad? Is it? Is that stuff for you? Well, don't start loughing too loud, I made it, and I think I made it well. Did I? Take just one look and express yourself, I'll listen! :rolleyes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All pins are made with hard berillium copper silver coated over nickel plating. Insertion is very smoot and contact is garanteed over time. Silver was polished to full bright, to avoid stain and gritt formation under atmosferic etching. At last I hope so!
All the white plastic is high density extruded PTFE for low stray capacitance and high mist resitance. I hope this too! :rolleyes:

Some more pics about those fittings:

SHiFTY said:
Nice going! 807s are nice to work with, they don't get too hot either. BTW is there a London tube amp "scene"? I'm getting withdrawal symptoms heh.

It could be! :bigeyes:

Thanks, for comments, on my DIY last frontier! ;)
A little hint,
If you don't like those sockets availlable, change tube. Don't even try to make it yourself, you'll risk to hate your hobby!:bawling:
Cheers!