• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Trancy,

Did you try using 2 power xformers? It gives better separation between channels anyway. I am curious about the schematics - once built an EL34-based triode connected SE amp, but the sound was not satisfactory. Are those RFT tubes? Can you reveal the mystery? :)

Pawel

My new 2a3.. couldnt help but show off..

As this is an experimental amp, note the many free sockets and free space on the chassis to put more irons as the project goes along.
Currently it is driven by 6c45. Next to try is the mosfet regulation and 5842 driver. DC heating is on the list as well, but currently having problem with heater supply voltage.

Driving coral fullrange flat-6, this babe kickass!!

Attachments

• dsc01576.jpg
    dsc01576.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,529
wow! you guys have done some NICE work! I would love to build a tube amp for myself, from scratch, but ah I need money for it :(.

well I'm 16, heres my second tube prodject. My first is still under construction, Its yet another radio, but I custom built an oak case and a panel to mount the tubes on on the top. It sorta looks like a 300 dollar tissue box with a gloss black plate in the hole and tubes and trannys on top :D

heres my current project: Its a 1936 RCA 5T AM/Shortwave 5 tube radio.
It was my Grandpa's radio, and he did some work on it, and we inherited it after he passed away. I'm enjoying restoring it because I know he'd be proud! :-D

Heres what it looked like before I started the restoration. Actually worse, the grille cloth was all torn up ( cats got to it lol ). This pic isnt of mine, I got it off the net, as I took some before pics but my dumb camera's mem stick went bad! :mad:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you can kinda get an idea of what it looked like.

After useing Fornby's Varnish Remover (which removes varnish and shelac, but not the original stain), I put 3 coats of polyurethane on it to make it really glow. Its so much prettier now!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The grillecloth I got at walmart, I liked the coca-cola pattern.
heres the poor speaker I tried to resurect with nail polish.. it had too many tears in it :(

so I made my own cone! That was hard.. I even made a whizzer cone so there would be more high end responce. I made the surround out of too thick of paper I think, its kinda stiff. I think I'll make a new one out of construction paper. Anyways, it sounds wonderful though! :)

sorry, I dont have an after pic of the chassis, I'm still working on it. It needs TOTALLY rewired... all the wireing is original and all the insulation is coming off the wires and could easily cause a short. I have to order some orange drops up and recap it too. You can see my other thread in tube stuff asking about transofmer help ( yes this ones overheating

:confused: :( ) so anyways, enjoy!

thanks! Its not as "original" looking and i destroyed any value it had by redoing it, but hey. who wants it if its worth a million bucks and looks ugly? ( ie. paris hilton.. :D just kidding :p)

heh.. i'm scared of those caps, they look like the tip of a bottle rocket...I'm sure theyl be more realistic soon too unless i replace them :D

My visions on looks. Not yet on a decent chassis, but a wooden plate.

It is a russion GU50 pp with ecc99 phase splitters ans a 7193 stage.

If these tubes were common, subwooferbuilders would be extinct!:)

It's my first amp, but..wow... what a cool sound

for people who haven't noticed, i like exotic tubes (anybody any suggestions for exotic tubs to put in the place of the ecc99?)

Bas

Attachments

• gu50.jpg
    gu50.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,236
As for the vision thing:

-A rare or expensive tube on it does NOT mean the amp looks pretty.

-Transformers are ugly. you have every reason to put them INSIDE the amp.

-A shiny wooden box is nice,chrome is nice, aluminium is nice, originality is nicer...

I am NOT saying anything looks bad, but sometimes i think amplifiers look like boxes wit all the parts threwn on top.

I have seen really cool things here. Does anybody know of REALLY odd or exotic amps?

Bas

-A shiny wooden box is nice,chrome is nice, aluminium is nice, originality is nicer...

I agree totally! Tube lovers are a special breed, but it seems they all have the same limited taste in designing their amps.

I am NOT saying anything looks bad, but sometimes i think amplifiers look like boxes wit all the parts threwn on top.

It's sòò boring...:headbash:

I like it more like this:

Not very exotic, I agree, but at least they got rid of the 'wooden box withall the parts on top'-syndrome... And it's very stylish and glossy...:D

And it's very stylish and glossy...
Aaargh another square black box!!! Yucky!!! ;)

I guess it has to do a lot with "what you grew up with" I never saw the wooden chassis with metal plate and tubes on top..till..say my 29th year.

To me therefore the amps that say Triode Dick builds look sooo yummy to me.