• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

I tend to agree with your assessment. My 76-1626 Darling uses the Transcendars (as will my current project), and it puts out startlingly good bass for a <1W amp. The leads are good quality silver plated copper.

Only thing about the budget Transcendars is that they're rather ugly unless you do something with them. I sanded off the coating of enamel and then hand brushed them to give them a nice silvery finish.

Attachments

• Ampli OTL HeadPhone - 32 at 800 Ohms.JPG
    Ampli OTL HeadPhone - 32 at 800 Ohms.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 1,272
I've got it powered up and testing now. Still have to finish the back plate for inputs, speaker jacks, etc.

This is a long time project but I'm getting there. This will be a PP amp transformer coupled. 6N23P parallel driver, 6BG6GA outputs.

The component placement shown is FYI, nothing is mounted. The front area will be an aluminum plate for the tubes.

Attachments

• ampframe1.jpg
    ampframe1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,148
  • ampframe2.jpg
    ampframe2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,132
New 6n6p line stage

Ive been busy so I thought Id share. I just finished my first tube line stage. Well one that actually works, lol. Its nothing fancy, a capacitor coupled 6n6p amp. I used cathode bias. I thought about led bias, but I didn't have any on hand. The line stage is built in a old hp pulse generator chassis. I went bypass happy on this amp too. The input coupling caps are russian teflons. The cathode bypass cap is nothing special. plan electro that will need to be replaced soon. But I did bypass it with a k40 pio. The dc blocking cap on the output is a clarity sa parallel with a russian teflon cap. There is also a Pi L filter in the line stage chassis. It had a little hum in it so I added the filter. The chokes are actually decor se output transformers I had on had. I didn't have any choke that could handle the 40ma that the 2 6n6 triodes pulled. I improvised. It worked perfectly. Its dead quite. The 2 caps there are a erse plus and a solen fast cap. The main power supply is in a separate chassis described below

The power supply is in a cast aluminum hammond chassis. There just 2 transformers in there plus a bridge rectifier and a input filter. I used a 33000mfd cap for the heaters of the 6n6p. The b+ transformer is a hammond open frame. It makes 250 ct which is feed into the way over sized damper diodes. But they look so cool. Ill have to add a pic. They glow like a transmitter tube. There philco's. I think there 6bl7's. There feeding a crcrcrcr filter made of jj electrolytic caps. The other transformer in the chassis is a filament transformer for the rectifier tubes. Thats the down side, the filaments pull a ton of current for what there doing. 3 amps each tube. But they look so cool.

Im very happy with this. But there are upgrades to be made. I experimented with tvc's for volume control but it didn't work right. But I will try again. I also notice that I can hear the same source on all the different source switch positions. Maybe I need a new switch.

My favorite part of this is the articulated arm that operates the source switch. 2 universal joints and 3 inches of telescopic travel. I got the part from an electron microscope I had. It probably cost someone a pretty penny one day. But it does the job here quite well.

Nick

Attachments

• DSC01156.jpg
    DSC01156.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 925
  • DSC01158.jpg
    DSC01158.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC01160.jpg
    DSC01160.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSC01163.jpg
    DSC01163.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSC01164.jpg
    DSC01164.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 898
I also built a pair of push pull amps. There nothing fancy. Very basic circuits. Voltage amp, concertina phase splitter cap coupled to a pair of 6ca7's. Obviously the iron is Edcor. The output tubes are triode wired and there is zero feedback. I use these amps to run my kids and highs which are compression drivers. JBL 2445's and alter 802-8d drivers, so they barely break a sweat. They sound nice but I think A 4p1l triode wired push pull amp will sound better there in the near future. But that will be my first direct heated amp. These are bias heavily into class a at 50ma quiescent current. B+ is 460 under load.

I used all film caps in the power supply but there was a little hum so I added a JJ 500mfd electrolytic cap. All the filaments are dc. I used russian teflon caps as coupling caps in all but one spot. There its a dayton film and foil caps.

These are the first power amp projects Ive finished. Ive built many amps but never finished them. These I troubleshot with the help of KevinKR. He's my tube mentor.

The one picture shows the 2 amps on the outsides and my arc amp that runs the bass horns in between them.

These amps were a stepping stone. next I want to built a push pull amp with an interstage that can go into a2 if need be. Something like the fisher 50a. But with fewer stages and no 12au7's.

Nick

Attachments

• DSC01168.jpg
    DSC01168.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC01169.jpg
    DSC01169.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC01170.jpg
    DSC01170.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 359
This thread of the venerable Diyaudio web page is a Photo Gallery and its name is Photo Gallery.
This means that the members of the Forum may publish photos of their achievements.
Someone likes and some other not of that but tastes are infinites and something will look to others extraordinary.
Some of us learn a lot, watching the other resources and ideas.
And And And: While nobody offends to other members, anybody of us can judge the pics.
Many of us are just fans or hobbiest but also many of this incredible forum are professionals,
However this is the right place to post photos. Whether we like it or not.
If somebody does not want to participate can be found in another parts of this forum endless possibilities for their goals.

Last edited: