• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Jeb-D. said:
Hello Felixx,
I used custom Edcor transformers for both power and output. The input/driver tube is a 6F1P (equivalent to ECF180). The pentode section of the 6F1P is used as the input/gain stage. The triode section of the 6F1P is the second stage, which is a cathode follower that is direct coupled to the first stage. The cathode follower stage drives the 6c33c.

The other large tube you see is a 5c8s rectifier tube. It is a good match for the 6c33c both in appearance and characteristics. It's a low impedance high current rectifier tube.

Jeb-D,

Those look great! Seeing your USA location I was just wondering on the why of your particular choice of 6F1P, a perhaps harder to obtain European type pentode-triode as the input stage and driver when there are a multitude of these of US heritage in the common 9 pin miniatures like 6AN8, 6GH8, etc., or larger sexy looking bottles from compactron days when the quality of NOS tubes are arguably the best ever made and NOS are plentiful and cheap.

Jeb-D, Those look great! Seeing your USA location I was just wondering on the why of your particular choice of 6F1P, a perhaps harder to obtain European type pentode-triode as the input stage and driver when there are a multitude of these of US heritage in the common 9 pin miniatures like 6AN8, 6GH8, etc., or larger sexy looking bottles from compactron days when the quality of NOS tubes are arguably the best ever made and NOS are plentiful and cheap

I looked through a lot of datasheets for tubes that seemed like a good match for my intended circuit topology (which surprisingly wasn't that many of them). I ordered the remaining candidates and tried them in circuit using a few variations with each. Some of the candidates clipped really nasty and some of the candidates didn't sound to my liking. The amp sounded exceptionally best with this one (ECF80 at the time).

Once I decided on the ECF80/6BL8/6F1P (all equivalent), I bought a couple samples from a few different brands. The russian NOS variant was my overall favorite with all aspects being considered (availability, price, minimal sample-to-sample variation, tonality, bling factor). I plan to try a few more brands in the future, but am quite happy with it as-is.

As for sexy looking, I'd agree that miniature isn't the best looking package. But the 6F1P looks really nice, for a miniature. All of the pentodes grids are visible, and it glows quite bright when it's in action. Klaus seems to like their appearance as well.

http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6f1p.htm

The 6E5P works very good with 6C33C in SE. Check the Melquiades design: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/PDF/Melquiades_SET.pdf

Hello Felix,
I'm familiar with the Melquiades design. It is good, but I've never been a person to follow the foot steps of others. However, I did apply some of the pointers (but not all of them) from Romy's website in my design.

My Amp

My latest amp.
12AX7, 12AU7 and EL34.
Hammond 1645

output 28W @ 8ohm

Tube_amp%20007.jpg

Thanks for those nice word.
All is self made, cabinet is made off brushed stainless steel (AISI316).
Wood plate on the side is sand teak.
Knobs are made off brass and the rings around is aluminum.
Tube cage is brass and steel, feet is brass.
More info is on my homepage (use translater choice)

I'm going to put it on an audio analyzer when i get time.
The sound is wery nice, but my next one is going to use EF86, 12AX7/12AU7(have not desided) as phase splitter and EL34 with Novarria transformers.
Have started to collect the items that I need. :)

Hi,

having read a few pages of this thread, I´ve decided to create an account and post a few pictures of some selfbuild amplifiers:

I start with my first DIY headphone amplifier:

E80F ( triode connection, G2+G3 with anode, 100V uA)+EL90 ( triode connection 125V uA ) + 2x EZ80 parallel.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This amplifiers is strong enough to drive 16-600Ohm headphones without any problems. It sounds very smooth and precise.

Best regards,

George

New amplifier for my Stax headphones

...it's so ugly that it is barely allowed here, but hey! I managed to finish it, and it makes very nice sound indeed.
It's my new amplifier for my old Stax headphones.

Very basic schematic:
First a phase splitter, 5965 in LTP with CCS,
then one... must be common-cathode triode per phase, so four in total (two 6SN7) also biased with CCS.

Big thanks to this forum for all the things I've learnt.

(Yes, I'll put sides and a cover for safety, and also a few more LEDs to know when it's on... for now I want to listen to it for the evening)

Attachments

• DSC_9881_.jpg
    DSC_9881_.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 584
Hey all, new here
Recently we moved into our first family home and on loft exploring duties i found some old valve radios plus other bits & bobs and this amp
which from examining tubes etc seemes to be a el84 pp with ec83 pre amp valves? and the ez81 rectifier and maybe tone controls

to cut a long story short ive loved hifi and always wanted a valve amp
i got my chance now but lots of reading to do if i wanna rebuild it :)
ps got more pics if anyones interested

Attachments

• SL270085.JPG
    SL270085.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 425