Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AFAIK, roughly the same is what you are after, so I guess, yes, you would change R1 to 20R. Mine is 11R, so I will use a 10R for R1. That also then means that you limit R2 to 30 times the internal impedance. So for your 20R, R2 is <600R.

I bought the stuff for my phonoclone 3 last night. Should be here in a few days. Might arrive in time for the boards!

Fran

Hi there, I just caught on to this thread and I am very interested. Fran I would like to have emailed you for a BOM but I am still under moderation? could you please send it to rprimmett @ msn dot com

Will this board be available as a group buy or in a online shop at a latter time or is it a complete DIY'er

Cheers

Ryan

woodturner-fran said:
how would you feel about using something like a regular polar blackgate for C3 but then bypassing it with a smaller film cap? Blackgate pk are still widely available..... and I have some!

I've used that for outputs on headphone amps in the past to very good effect.

It depends on your taste, usually BlackGate's sound "fast" and a bit of "thin".

From the experience of my last project VSPS, I've changed the 4.7u output to AuriCap, it sounds excellent! I guess MusicCap maybe even better, but a pair of 4.7u MusicCap are very expensive, some Taiwanese builders suggest change to 3.3u MusicCap should be fine.

http://picasaweb.google.com.hk/lh/photo/CU_Evlgms_TPpeLBRVO9Aw?feat=directlink

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Xreg Evaluation Board

I've made a standalone version of the Xreg, intended for evaluation in the circuit of your choice. It can be added to the VSPS, previous Phonoclone versions, or any op amp powered phono stage or headphone amp. Just replace the existing LM7812/7912 etc. regulator section with the Xreg.

Attachments

• xreg 13b eval.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 116

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Image of the above file, showing both sides of the double sided board. Unfortunately the Xreg does not lend itself to a single-sided layout.

From the image, the X of the Xreg name becomes obvious I think,

Attachments

• xreg31b.png
    xreg31b.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 891
I think many just bought some 12V transformers with dual secondaries and powered it off those (simple rectification and then right into the boards).

I went dual mono on mine, so ended up with 2 x such transformers in a separate box. rectification in this box and then wired to the box with the phonoclone.

Fran

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
rhysh said:
What are people using to power this? I was thinking about using a wallwart? or would i need a full regulated internal power supply?

Also, i see there is no decoupling for the opamps?

rhysh,

please read the original project pages:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho4.html
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_guide.html

The Phononlone 3 requires exactly the same power supply as the earlier versions, the boards are drop in replacements. You'll need a 2x12VAC sec. transformer and 1 or 2 bridge rectifiers. No filter caps or regulators.

If by decouple caps you mean 0,1 uF ceramics, then the answer is no, there are none. The electrolytics are positionned close to the ICs, and should function up to the bandwidth of the circuit, which is about 250 kHz.

P.S. If you use a wallwart with the Phonoclone 3 I will never speak to you again. :)

rjm said:

rhysh,

please read the original project pages:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho4.html
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_guide.html

The Phononlone 3 requires exactly the same power supply as the earlier versions, the boards are drop in replacements. You'll need a 2x12VAC sec. transformer and 1 or 2 bridge rectifiers. No filter caps or regulators.

If by decouple caps you mean 0,1 uF ceramics, then the answer is no, there are none. The electrolytics are positionned close to the ICs, and should function up to the bandwidth of the circuit, which is about 250 kHz.

P.S. If you use a wallwart with the Phonoclone 3 I will never speak to you again. :)

Thanks rjm, much appreciated. Am i okay to get some boards made up with a couple modifications? Keeping the credits ofcourse.

After learning how to do this for the F3/F5 group buy thread, here is the ZIP file which has a mouser BOM for the phonoclone 3. Please check it to make sure its correct before ordering!

BTW, you might need to add .zip to the name when you download it....

Fran

Attachments

• phonoclone bom.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 127

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for that, Fran.

The BOM for 30n (the beta version you have) and 31j (the latest revision) will be very slightly different.

The beta version has no R21,22 or C0.

pc31j has the above, and also the 100 uF filter caps are repositioned and renumbered, such that there are no optional placements.

/R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.