Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am also waiting for the kit, but I already built the VSPS phono pre for MM cartridges.
In the picture you see the pre with separate PSU I built. The cases are from

hammond .

These cases are well suited for the phonoclone because the inner dimension is the standard eurocard used by rjm for his pcbs.

I think the look is also quite professional; I have seen pictures of commercial phono pres using the same case (although with a thicker front panel).

But I also have a question: I would like to use metal spikes as feet but the ones I found until now are all too big. It would be nice a big spike in front and two smaller ones in the back.

bye

Renato

I hope that the picturer is now attached

Attachments

• img_2419.jpg
    img_2419.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 664
actually I did that 2 hours ago. I have used enclosures from them to put Icepower amps in.

I don't think they offer really closed anclosures.
But I will have better look.

I would prefer an enclosure that is even EMI/RF tight.
(not a hard requirement, but I do want a completlely metal enclosure)
Hammond just introduced a new line enclosures that are EMI/RF tight.

Polyrack may also have something nice.

Some work to do ...

Finally, I was able to close the cover on my PhonoClone 3 and to try it.
To make a short story:
-No hum, no noise, dead silence right from the start.
-Simple grounding connection, In/Out cables directly to the PCB, coax (shielded input connectors), twisted pair Kimber wire for the output.
AC inlet GND to the case, preamp GND lug connected to the case. Separate supply GND for both channels, up to the common rectifier.
-For the record (right choice of word ;), I have the supply mounted in the same enclosure as the preamp without any ill effect.

Now the sound. Well, I'm almost ashamed to say that it is sound as good as my very expensive Audio Research PH5. It is as good as that. I'm very please with the result. It is very resolving, bad records sound bad. Very good ones are plain vanilla, sparkles, right timing, just great sound. Again, if you build just one phono preamp, try this one.

northernsky, just to tell you that I'm using 20mm birch plywood disc as footer, with a small layer of foam (from a mouse pad) with very good result.

Attachments

• playing_s.jpg
    playing_s.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 618
Congratulations Algar_emi!

This is a good looking box, where did you find it?

It is a good idea to put the supply in the same box, I found out that the wire to my external supply picks up some hum. I did not expect that so have to make a shield for it. Also the powersupply for my Pink Triangle gives 6 dB extra hum (it is DC..?). So yes it is possible to live without hum!

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@Algar_emi

Glad and indeed relieved to learn everything went well. You put in more time and effort into the project than most so I guess you could say the risk factor was higher as a result.

For the record I don't think an external supply adds noise though I suppose RF injection into the umbilical could be an issue... The main thing I see is in the earthing, and keeping the transformer a good distance away from the phono cartridge, and this are just easier to manage with a separate supply.

In other news:

32e boards arrived from Olimex today, I'll ship them out tomorrow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-Richard

On the back, I had to cover the existing holes, so I installed a new aluminum plate. Neutrik RCA connectors installed horizontally matched nicely the case height. For the GND lug, I used my classic mix of brass bolt, nuts, flat washers and finally thumbscrew (all from Home Depot). All hardware is stainless steel. That gives a very professional and functional look. Not bad :cool:

Attachments

• back_s.jpg
    back_s.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 562
Inside view. Supply and preamp in separate section, divided by a piece of 1/4'' angle aluminum.

For the supply wiring, I'm using an home-brew cable made of multistrand cooper wires, separately insulated and twisted. The supply GND wire is a heavier gauge been share by the +/- supplies.

A little trick, the main AC power switch is hidden under the case, near the front panel, left corner.

Attachments

• completed_top_s.jpg
    completed_top_s.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 523
To everyone who has payed for boards or kits

I need you to send me an email for what you have payed for, with the paypal receipt attached, along with your email address and postal address. If you have allready received your boards please dont do this.

I have had a huge failiure on my home server and all my audio work, group buy and contact information & everything else to do with audio. I have nothing left, so i have to rebuild from scratch. If you have purchased from multiple group buys please only send me one email.

If this can be done quickly there should be no problem.

rjm said:
@Algar_emi

Glad and indeed relieved to learn everything went well. You put in more time and effort into the project than most so I guess you could say the risk factor was higher as a result.

For the record I don't think an external supply adds noise though I suppose RF injection into the umbilical could be an issue... The main thing I see is in the earthing, and keeping the transformer a good distance away from the phono cartridge, and this are just easier to manage with a separate supply.

In other news:

32e boards arrived from Olimex today, I'll ship them out tomorrow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-Richard

Richard -

That's really GREAT news and the boards look fantastic!!!

I've received the other bits-and-pieces and I'm ready to go.

Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.