• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phono stage design considerations part 1: choosing 1st stage tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
huh? best is elusive, but i gather that best to him could mean generous 2H, that is why he dislike SY's CCS tricks..... :D

to me "best" may mean the least number of parts....perhaps because i dislike complicated things....

perhaps OP can get inspiration from here....JE Labs Arkiv: JE Labs phono and line preamp

Some people evaluate the sound quality of audio gear by its' THD+N figure, disregarding other measured parameters and disregarding listening evaluations.

Some people evaluate the sound quality of audio gear by its' parts number count.

What I don't get is why some people are being intimidated by an approach different than theirs.
Likewise, I don't get why some people turn technical discussions and considerations into personal issues.

I let it be.
In the end, it's me and the music being reproduced in my living room – not what was written in a forum.

Hi,
Thank you.

Compared to a D3A a Ec8010 is more lineair and specially the Cag is much lower, 1,5pF vs 2,7pF. But S and µ is better for a D3A.

D3a has lower anode resistance, which is an advantage when transformer loaded.
As for the difference in Cmiller, it isn't crucial in this application.
Also, I have no idea about EC8010 noise in the audio band and its' microphonics.

Btw, a lcr is a no go to me. You never get good enough chokes for this: low precision and variable with signal.

It may depend which coils you tried. LCR modules can be purchased from Thomas (Vynilsavor). I have a reason to assume they are accurate enough.

Hi!

I don't see how the EC8010 is more linear as the D3a as triode. See actual plate curves of the D3a here:

VinylSavor: Tube of the Month: The D3a

Especially for phono I see no issue with linearity at all.

I have not used the EC8010 much since I have plenty stock of EC8020.

Telefunken lists the amplification factor in the data sheet of the EC8010 with 'ca 60' which means about 60. For other tubes amplification factor is spec'ed as '=' and not 'ca'. I am sure there was a reason for this an the mu can deviate from ample to sample. So selecting tubes for equal mu between channels would be important.

Best regards

Thomas

It dosnt matter who made the coils, they are always less good then any resistor or capacitor, just a matter of physics. If the coils have a core then all depends of the intitial permeability of the core material and this is very complex. If its an aircoil then the value of the coil is also not constant ( more leakage inductance and winding capacity)

Hi,
Thank you.

D3a has lower anode resistance, which is an advantage when transformer loaded.
As for the difference in Cmiller, it isn't crucial in this application.
Also, I have no idea about EC8010 noise in the audio band and its' microphonics.

It may depend which coils you tried. LCR modules can be purchased from Thomas (Vynilsavor). I have a reason to assume they are accurate enough.

Last edited:
Hi!

If the tester has good tolerance for gm matching then μ should be derivable but rp differs too across those tubes? Mu = Gm x Rp

Yes you are measuring both mu and rp.
Those TV-7s are fairly crude when it comes to characterising a tube.
But as mentioned mu can be easily matched in the actual circuit and it should be double-checked there anyways.

Best regards

Thomas

Maybe you are right but i remember that my EC8010 pre amp have much better frequency response then my ecc83 and ecc88.

Morgen Jones says (p560, 3th edition) that all bridge measurement equipment have problems so maybe we can trust no published data of all those tubes?

Anyway i don't think that the D3a is better, simulair problems.

I do since I've done the measurement. Morgan Jones has done the same and gotten a similar number (see "Valve Amplifiers").

Last edited:
Morgen Jones says (p560, 3th edition) that all bridge measurement equipment have problems so maybe we can trust no published data of all those tubes?

Trust, but verify. He used a bridge, I used an RC time constant measurement. When two different methods give the same (or similar) answers, one can have a bit more confidence that the data are correct.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.