Philips UCD application note

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lumanauw said:
From the post here, I read that Bruno Putzeys himself even makes 5 or 6 pcb's before get 1 that works. Lets calculate. I don't use SMD. I just learn about classD. How many PCB designs will I have to toss away? :D

I'm like you - I'm not using SMD at the moment. Just about to try my 2nd prototype with through hole -- I've added OVP, OCP and differential input. I'm also not trying for more than about 75W from a +/- 28 V rail.
I agree with the comments that suggest trying lower power amplifiers before trying to build a big one - makes sense from a smoke point of view! :)

I found the best way to compare to the 'real thing' was to buy a UCD180, and compare it to my results, by using the same PSU, load etc... ---- not quite as good yet, but hopefully getting closer!

I just bought a EE ferrite core. Something is strange. The ferrite has no gap. But when I wound the wire (0.7mm magnet wire), it takes 25 turns to get 30uH. This is above the suggested turns about 10-15turns.

Without gapping, it already takes quite some turns.

Do I still have to gap the core (grinding the center ferrite)?

Or is it OK for me to use it without gap? The size is about RM10 size.

Time to try out my mini UcD in stereo on my main speaker setup.
I fitted the smal amps into an old DVD player casing:clown: ..... thee will be room enough for two more amps (will try out the amp running hysteresis mode).

Well I guess it should have been obvious, that it wouldn't beat my main amp (LC Audio "The end" with ULC input circuit, dual mono 180W out, 2 x 800VA + 4 x 22.000 uF RIFA):smash:
Anyway I was almost thinking that it being a UcD it could beat anything:rolleyes:

Well it plays quite well. The bass is not as "deep" and does not have the same weight as the LC. The mid and high is quite distinct but very clear. The feeling of space and room is good, but not as relaxed, and well defined as on the LC.

But there was a problem with a high pitched tone being present all the time.

Think I've heard this before, when trying to put two amps in one case. As I recall it should help moungint the two amps as close together as possible .... but that was what I thought I hade already done.

Would it help syncronising the amps??
And hould bould that be done as easy as possible??

IT also have some 100 Hz "noise" .... gues it comes directly from the PSU.
:xeye:

Attachments

• img_1120.jpg
    img_1120.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 971
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Baldin said:
But there was a problem with a high pitched tone being present all the time.

Think I've heard this before, when trying to put two amps in one case. As I recall it should help moungint the two amps as close together as possible .... but that was what I thought I hade already done.

Would it help syncronising the amps??
And hould bould that be done as easy as possible??

IT also have some 100 Hz "noise" .... gues it comes directly from the PSU.
:xeye:

Hi Baldin. Does the high pitched noise go away if you only have one module powered? If so, the two modules are definitely interacting. It may help to physically space them farther apart.

Reloacte the rectifier side of the power supply board as far away from the module wiring as possible. That should help reduce the 100Hz noise a bit. Also try twisting the power supply wiring together for each module if possible.

Has anybody experience this? When the mosfet's heatsink is attached to the case (=grounded), the residual output get distorted (sinusoidal becomes wrecked)?

How to counter this? The heatsink needs to be grounded, how to advoid this? I think this is because the low side Drain actually=full swing, and when this transistor gets grounded, it forms a capacitor between transistor's base metal plate (=full swing) and heatsink (=ground).

Is this why the real UCD uses plastic mosfets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.