Philips CD-960

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I"m not mistaken, CDM 1 loaders are the only loaders made of metal. Players using CDM 1 include Philips CD 960, LHH 1000R and the Marantz CD 94 and CD 99 (not sure about the CD 95).

The CD 99 was the top model in its time and almost exclusively found in the Japanese market. CD 99SE uses the TDA 1541S2 DAC.

The CDM 0 was used in broadcase equipment. Philips LHH 2000 uses this lens.

Any other players using CDM 1 and 0?
Most importantly, any sources of these lens?

Thanks

ManUtd said:

I have the same player just a little modified,but it sounds very good.WhaT`s the problem of yours?
I remember my had problems reading some cd`s then i bought
a lens cleaner and now it`s like good old days.
If it want work anymore please contact me so i can have some spareparts from it.

I have a small problem with the drawer that should be fixable (the drawer needs some help to get in/out). Also, sometimes CD's have ticks or it takes a while before the next track is found. It seems the problem is worse with a cold player, so maybe somewhere are bad solder joints. I cleaned the lens before and the problems were less worse after that. Sometimes the player works ok!

(BTW: the output digital connector is damaged. I am looking for a new one...)

Fedde

Pioneer CDP

Ola said:
I used to think Pioneer drives having a low jitter. There was an article in Stereophile about mesuring jitter and Pioneer 06 was actually very good. And Wadia uses or used a drive from 505 in it's cheapest palyer - but you know the Wadia prices.

The article also pointed out that for best possible sound jitter spectres of the drive and DAC must fit.

What say u, Elso?

Hi Ola,
Frankly I don't know the sound of the Pioneer.
Stereophile measured the player in standard condition I presume that is without a new low-jitter clock.
I had to repair and check the repairs of others of too many Pioneer players. That made me to hate them (the player!). If the players transport has a lot of adjustment pots do not touch these!
;)

As newcomer I still have some moderatorial delay of a few hours. Understandable but a bit confusing as my reply seems to be late.

So for:

Prometheus - CD100, CD200, CD300 series. Specially the CD200 series have a lot of space to do mods. And they have the SOPHI board inside. Have fun!

ManUtd/ Fedde - I do not recommend lens cleaners as they might damage the optical coating on the lens. The same for alcohol and alike. Use compressed air instead. If you can't clean it with air then use a drop of distillated water and let it dry completely.

Ward

I will always go with the CDM1. I
I had the Marantz CD95 and also the older Meridien MCD-Pro (anyone rememeber that 14 bit TDA1540?!).
And I had a chance 12 years ago to compare the Krell MD10, Marantz CD95 and the Pioneer. The Krell is also based on CDM1 and is beefed up on the power supply. The output was fed to a Theta ProBasic. The Krell and Marantz won the Pioneer by miles.
I always regretted that I passed on the two boxed CD99 and got the CD95 for $$ reason. That was a bad decision.

YCLee

specifications CD 960

Hello,
can someone inform me about the specifications of the Philips CD 960 player. I obtained one the other day, but without operating instructions. To get a cd playing isn't very difficult but I'm really interested in the specifications... Anyone who can help me ?

Hi, Pal,
I got CD950 which sounds well.
I heard that CD880 & CD960 is much better. Now I found a CD960 without variable (RCA) out in the 2nd market.
Does it mean this CD960 has no volume control?
Is it worth to get one while I've already got CD950 which has volume control?

Your opinion, please.

Happy listening!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.