Philips CD-960

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Indeed.

I noticed prices of good Philips/Marantz transports are rising so don't expect an answer from me ;)

I realise I am cutting myself in the fingers. Do what you have to do to discover yourself what good transports are. I did so and I don't regret it ( meanwhile looking at a pile of cdplayers ).

CD931 isn't.

Refer to this link for the internals of many CD players, including the Philips 931/951

http://eddie.dyec.com.tw/diy-demo/audio-diy/cd_dvd_modify/philipscd951/philipscd951.htm

Do note that the proprietor modifies stock CD players and the pictures include modifications already.

On the Phlips 900 series, there was a range of CD players

First generation (Made in Belgium)
Philips CD 930
Philips CD 950

Second Genertaion (Made in Singapore)
Philips CDC 915 (5 disc carousel changer)
Philips CD 931
Philips CDC 935 (5 disc carousel changer)
Philips CD 951

There's also a CD 920. I"m not sure about the 940. I've never seen one before.

jean-paul said:
Indeed.

I realise I am cutting myself in the fingers. Do what you have to do to discover yourself what good transports are. I did so and I don't regret it ( meanwhile looking at a pile of cdplayers ).

CD931 isn't.

Dear Jean-paul,

Please advise about which transports are good. I've started collecting players based on the Philips swingarm mechanisms. Besides the swingarms, are there good transports from other brands?

How is the Pioneer Stable Platter and Sony KSS series of lens?

Thanks for your help.

Prometheus said:
Refer to this link for the internals of many CD players, including the Philips 931/951

http://eddie.dyec.com.tw/diy-demo/audio-diy/cd_dvd_modify/philipscd951/philipscd951.htm

Do note that the proprietor modifies stock CD players and the pictures include modifications already.

On the Phlips 900 series, there was a range of CD players

First generation (Made in Belgium)
Philips CD 930
Philips CD 950

Second Genertaion (Made in Singapore)
Philips CDC 915 (5 disc carousel changer)
Philips CD 931
Philips CDC 935 (5 disc carousel changer)
Philips CD 951

There's also a CD 920. I"m not sure about the 940. I've never seen one before.

I've got a CD 940, but I'm not the first owner, the guy I bought it from told me he was the 1st owner, and that the player was 3 years old (seems young for a CDM9 based player)

I'll check if there's a manufacturing date on it

Choice of CDP

Prometheus said:

Dear Jean-paul,

Please advise about which transports are good. I've started collecting players based on the Philips swingarm mechanisms. Besides the swingarms, are there good transports from other brands?

How is the Pioneer Stable Platter and Sony KSS series of lens?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Prometheus,
Forget about Pioneer. I crime to adjust.
Even Philips CD650 does sound better than Sony CDPX0-33ES or CDPA-30ESwith KSS laser. I don't know if this is due to the laser or the chipset used, or both. Anyway my love with Sony is over and out!
;)

Bricolo said:

I've got a CD 940, but I'm not the first owner, the guy I bought it from told me he was the 1st owner, and that the player was 3 years old (seems young for a CDM9 based player)

I'll check if there's a manufacturing date on it

I doubt that the CD 940 is 3 years old. The Philips Belgium factory, from which almost all of the famous CD players and their Marantz counterparts emerged, turned to DVD player production in 98/99.

I just saw a CD 920 today. The chassis is slimline with a CDM 12.1 or 12.4 transport. Like all the CDC 915, CDC 935 with the CDM 12, the CD 920 is made in Singapore.

By the way, I have both the CD 950 and the CD 935.

Re: Choice of CDP

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Prometheus,
Forget about Pioneer. I crime to adjust.
Even Philips CD650 does sound better than Sony CDPX0-33ES or CDPA-30ESwith KSS laser. I don't know if this is due to the laser or the chipset used, or both. Anyway my love with Sony is over and out!
;)

Have to concur when it comes to Pioneer players. After auditioning the Pionner PD 904, I was astounded by how bad it sounded. Moreover, some of the non-elite series of Pioneer pkayers like the PD 904/801 only have optical digital output.

With the exception of Sony fixed lens players, sony lens seem to be incompatible with CDRs. On the other hand, my NAD C502 sounds simply fantastic and I'm tempted to attibute that to the KSS 210A.:)

Are we left with Phiilips swingarm transports? Finding CDM 4/9 Pro is a nightmare...........................

I used to think Pioneer drives having a low jitter. There was an article in Stereophile about mesuring jitter and Pioneer 06 was actually very good. And Wadia uses or used a drive from 505 in it's cheapest palyer - but you know the Wadia prices.

The article also pointed out that for best possible sound jitter spectres of the drive and DAC must fit.

What say u, Elso?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
PDS-901 wasn't bad but Teac VRDS are better. I have a Sony CDP-X3000ES which I can't complain about although I prefer CDM1/4/9's.

Edit: I mean that they were used as a transport. PDS-901 and VRDS sound far from good when using their internal DAC's.

A nice solution would be to have a VRDS with a TDA1541 ...

jean-paul said:
PDS-901 wasn't bad but Teac VRDS are better. I have a Sony CDP-X3000ES which I can't complain about although I prefer CDM1/4/9's.

Edit: I mean that they were used as a transport. PDS-901 and VRDS sound far from good when using their internal DAC's.

A nice solution would be to have a VRDS with a TDA1541 ...

Thanks. Will consider getting a TEAC VRDS 7,8,10

Does the 904 have a coaxial digital out? Or just optical?

I am new to this forum (entered last week) but I do know "a bit" about playability mainly on Philips CD players.

Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but regarding the question of Prometheus I would stick to CDM0 or CDM1. After the development of these drives there was the urgent need for cheaper drives. CDM2, CDM4 etc. It was extremely difficult to get the performance on the same level. Some "quality" CDM's were developped lateron as the market required a better CDM. This mostly was a metal top/mounting plate. (Perceived quality!)
The production cost of a CDM0 or CDM1 was very high. Reducing cost considerably and maintaining a very high quality is not a light task.

When REVOX, who supplied CD-players to CD factories for quality control found out that the CDM1 production had stopped they went almost mad:xeye:

So if you can stick to CDM0 or CDM1!

Ward

EDUM said:
I am new to this forum (entered last week) but I do know "a bit" about playability mainly on Philips CD players.

Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but regarding the question of Prometheus I would stick to CDM0 or CDM1. After the development of these drives there was the urgent need for cheaper drives. CDM2, CDM4 etc. It was extremely difficult to get the performance on the same level. Some "quality" CDM's were developped lateron as the market required a better CDM. This mostly was a metal top/mounting plate. (Perceived quality!)
The production cost of a CDM0 or CDM1 was very high. Reducing cost considerably and maintaining a very high quality is not a light task.

When REVOX, who supplied CD-players to CD factories for quality control found out that the CDM1 production had stopped they went almost mad:xeye:

So if you can stick to CDM0 or CDM1!

And do You know what transport the CD-960 used?

Ward

Hello Fedde,

Check very carefull what kind of problem your CD-960 /CDM1 begins to have. It is not always necessary to replace parts. As this product is already an "oldtimer" ;) it might simply need some dedusting or the pivot arm might need some maintenance.

success!

Ward

fedde said:
The CDM1. I have a CD-960 :)
(though it begins to have problems, I wonder how long I can use it...) replacement parts are highly welcome!!!

Fedde

ps. Please quote more careful ;)

Hi,

I have the same player just a little modified,but it sounds very good.WhaT`s the problem of yours?
I remember my had problems reading some cd`s then i bought
a lens cleaner and now it`s like good old days.
If it want work anymore please contact me so i can have some spareparts from it.

Reg,

ManUtd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.