Phase plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, OK, I know this has been discussed several times in the past but it would be good to get feedback from the people who have used them.
I have a set of MK's MLTL's with 207E's and even after 100hrs the mid/high's are still a bit.....bright!
I have the correction circuit in place and have changed it to give me what I see as the optimum setting (it really does work well) but that glare keeps coming back on certain albums.

It doesn't help that I have a T-amp running them either!

Unless there is something else I can do to inhibit the effect, do these phase plugs help? Maybe the Decware socket?

Any tried and tested feedback would be much appreciated.

As a footnote I would like to compliment Martin on a very simple (it needed to be with my abilities) but effective design that has introduced me to the world of high definition sound!

Thanks

Lee

I have some plannet 10 phase plugs on my FE206e's which have the same cone as your 207's. It seemed to me that the addition of the plugs smoothed out the treble a bit. The character of the driver is still forward though.

You might also consider the $0.99 tweak....you damp the wizzer cone by wrapping a finger sized cylander of teased wool or polyester stuffing between the main cone and the back of the wizzer. Try it, as you have nothing to lose-if you don't like the result, take it off.

jeremym said:
You might also consider the $0.99 tweak....you damp the wizzer cone by wrapping a finger sized cylander of teased wool or polyester stuffing between the main cone and the back of the wizzer. Try it, as you have nothing to lose-if you don't like the result, take it off.

That sounds like a nice and easy one to try first!

Cheers jeremy

Lee

Plugs

Well I must chime in here and offer something.

I am the guy that cuts the wood and works the lathe, that spins the plugs, that dave sells.

The comments from you guys make me feel happy. I am glad that I make a product that is appreciated and functional. It is motivating to read that others have had the same experience as me.

I am glad you like the plugs I make.

Dammit, I forget what the correct wrench socket size is. I got mine from Sears.

I listen to FE207Es in vented cabinets, with just a little (2ohms?) series resistance. They are placed slightly below ear level.

The $0.00 tweak is cross-toeing the speakers. That is, rake them in so that their axes cross well in front of listening position.

In my experience, larger full-rangers sound best slightly off-axis. On-axis, they are certainly very "direct".

I do not hear "glare" in my setup. But have them placed near the back wall, slightly lower than ear-level, and cross-toed. I enjoy the result. Milestones sounds very good right now.

I can hardly wait till you guys report on what changes they made on the B200.

Does this mean someone is doing surgery on a pair of Visatons and installing phase plugs? I'd like to hear about that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possible effectiveness of adding a shorting ring to the base of a wooden phase plug? Or would this be too far from the VC to have an effect?

Scott

Thanks for the replies chaps, plenty of food for thought.
I think I'll stick some of those socket heads in and give it a try.

Tried the wadding behind the whizzer but didn't hear much attenuation of that gare though, never mind, worth a try.

Toe-in does make a difference but not completely, although my listening position will be further away when finally in place, don't know if that will make any difference?

How many hours have you got on yours Dumbass?

Thanks again

Lee

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JohnnyBoy said:
I can hardly wait till you guys report on what changes they made on the B200.

John was kind enuff to vollenteer to be a B200 phase plug guinea pig... this week i'm hauling the OBs over from storage at my parents (have to make room for them ) and start doing some listening evals.

Thanx John for your patience -- things can be slow going here.

dave

Attachments

• b200-wplugs.jpg
    b200-wplugs.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,320
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lostcause said:
I think I'll stick some of those socket heads in and give it a try.

I've not personally tried the sockets... one of my customers has.

Wow Dave!
These phase plugs are a significant improvement over the Steve Deckert
socket wrench mod. Much more even tempered from top to bottom. Whatever
seemed 'wrong' with the original 207 driver has been eliminated, and are
more involving even when you aren't sitting in the sweet spot. Maybe the
mids are more detailed, who knows, but they are certainly worth the purchase
price even if it seems like a lot of $$ when you first look at them.
Thanks again,
Bob

dave

My first mod to the FE206E was Planet 10 phase plugs. After reading about the socket mod, I had to try it because it was cheap and seemed logical. With the sockets there was a change, but not really an improvement in smoothness and dispersion as there was with the wooden plugs. To me, the Planet 10 plugs reduced the beaming more and FWIW look cool in the driver. The plugs I was sent were clear finished wood and I planned on painting them black. After living with them a few months, I won`t change the color, they look good and perform as advertised. I have no association with Planet 10, other than being a fan of their products....they`re worth the money and the thrill ( made me nervous, but turned out to be easy), of installing them. Put the sockets back in your tool box where they belong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.