Phase plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris, if you are referring to my post, NO XO, I did the comparison myself without a 2nd opnion...just my observations. I am in no way an engineer, I read a couple forums and play around with my 2 systems, main is 2 channell triode-analog, and 2nd system is SS HT. All I know is if I like the sound or not. My most sophisticated test equipment is a Radio Shack digital SPL meter and a Stereophile test cd....pretty much just listen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lostcause said:
How bizzare!

It comes down to a service Canada Post has called small packet. This provides affordable postage for small, light packages ($7.50 USD/Air to UK). This isn't an option in Canada. Anything fatter than 2 cm has to go as a parcel so everything below a kilo gets lumped together (a pair of packaged phase plugs is ~120g), and postage starts at ~$10 (to Ontario) for the smallest packages. I call this the Canada Post black hole.

So no point in delaying satisfaction... :)

dave

planet10 said:

It comes down to a service Canada Post has called small packet. This provides affordable postage for small, light packages ($7.50 USD/Air to UK). This isn't an option in Canada. Anything fatter than 2 cm has to go as a parcel so everything below a kilo gets lumped together (a pair of packaged phase plugs is ~120g), and postage starts at ~$10 for the smallest packages. I call this the Canada Post black hole.

So no point in delaying satisfaction... :)

dave

You have mail!

no xo said:
Chris, if you are referring to my post, NO XO, I did the comparison myself without a 2nd opnion...just my observations. I am in no way an engineer, I read a couple forums and play around with my 2 systems, main is 2 channell triode-analog, and 2nd system is SS HT. All I know is if I like the sound or not. My most sophisticated test equipment is a Radio Shack digital SPL meter and a Stereophile test cd....pretty much just listen.

So how can you provide technical support for the silly smile on your face? :cannotbe:

Count me among those who couldn't give a flying frack about how my system measures :hot:

Now of course, if I was in the business of selling audio gear, it would be nice to have pretty math or graphics for digestion of those so inclined. :angel:

John was kind enuff to vollenteer to be a B200 phase plug guinea pig...

Hey Dave,

A couple questions if you don't mind.

Are those your standard 7/8" by 1 1/2" (22mm x 38mm) phase plugs?

In the picture it looks like there is only a thin layer of adhesive left where the dust cap attached. Was there cutting involved or was the dust cap somehow able to be pulled from the cone?

And, when removing the dust cap, any risk to the voice coil leads under the cap?

thanks,

Scott

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
scottw said:
Are those your standard 7/8" by 1 1/2" (22mm x 38mm) phase plugs?

No they are quite a bit bigger (longer in particular -- i have a pic in my camera i can't get at ATM). They are also CNCed instead of hand turned (costs more, but means Scott doesn't have to build a custom tool for one-offs)

In the picture it looks like there is only a thin layer of adhesive left where the dust cap attached. Was there cutting involved or was the dust cap somehow able to be pulled from the cone?

The dust cap came off easy enuff. Cleanig the adhesive off around the edges was a real chore.

And, when removing the dust cap, any risk to the voice coil leads under the cap?

No. Of course you still have to be really careful.

dave

ChrisB, I hope my post was not offensive to you. What I was trying to say is I`m not a technical type at all, and any measuring I do is primative at best. And please count me among those who feel your ears tell you what you really need to know. I value the information and opinions I read on this forum, and compare this with what I hear in my system. Stereo equipment are among my favorite toys and want to make it as much fun as possible. I live in a rural area where there are no others to talk to or learn from, so I enjoy these discussions. Please take my apology if I sounded like I was some kind of a expert. This is a great hobby. Not that this has to do with this thread, but I`m finished with my Fostex recommended horns for the FE206ESR and will be listening to them for the 1st time tonite....I can`t wait to gethome and install the drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
B200 is walnut vrs custom FE166/167 in Garry Oak

Attachments

• b200-v-fe167.jpg
    b200-v-fe167.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 289
no xo said:
ChrisB, I hope my post was not offensive to you. What I was trying to say is I`m not a technical type at all, and any measuring I do is primative at best. And please count me among those who feel your ears tell you what you really need to know. I value the information and opinions I read on this forum, and compare this with what I hear in my system. Stereo equipment are among my favorite toys and want to make it as much fun as possible. I live in a rural area where there are no others to talk to or learn from, so I enjoy these discussions. Please take my apology if I sounded like I was some kind of a expert. This is a great hobby. Not that this has to do with this thread, but I`m finished with my Fostex recommended horns for the FE206ESR and will be listening to them for the 1st time tonite....I can`t wait to gethome and install the drivers.

If we could include web cam photos with these posts, you would have seen the grin on my face while attempting to be "funny"

One of the many things Ed Schilling is certainly right about is the difficulties of attempting to express inflection with the written word, even when assisted by "smilies"

As to your Fostex ESR horns, I'm sure we're all interested in your impressions. How many hours of break-in were you able to give the drivers?

planet10 said:

John was kind enuff to vollenteer to be a B200 phase plug guinea pig... this week i'm hauling the OBs over from storage at my parents (have to make room for them ) and start doing some listening evals.

Thanx John for your patience -- things can be slow going here.

dave

Hey Dave,

I like what I see, nice work! Take your time - no panic... I still haven't committed myself to a baffle or design that has to include the Hawthorne Audio Augie for bass duty. Please be sure to post some notes for the benefit of all B200 owners. I'm sure you'll be receiving more inquiry on your B200 modifications soon.

John.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jacojnr said:
would u recommended one of your phase plugs for fostex ff165k -- or are the wires too close to excise the dust cap? would the 165 benefit from a pp?

Scottmoose asked the same question....

I haven'r actually seen an FF. Pictures indicate PP would not be any problem. I haven't yet run into a driver that didn't benefit from a PP, but these drivers with the metal dustcap that acts as a HF radiator are something i haven't tried yet. If removing the dustcap reduces HF reponse you might get a better performing driver that has less HF (this is all pure speculation on my part)

dave

Interesting Dave,

I remember back in the late seventies, Radio Shack had a 5" cast aluminum FR driver with an aluminum dust cap that was mounted to the end of the coil. It did not land on the cone as I remember. It was a pricey little driver back then but a heck of a midrange. The cap was a HF radiator and very much affected the high end if damaged.

EDIT: I wonder what ever happened to that driver. I wish I could find an old RS catalog.

Dave,

Been messing with the phase plug thing for my Kenwood KFC-6469s, off and on, since we last spoke about it (some months back). I've come to the conclusion that its not going to happen simply or easily or cheaply by modding something pre-existing, so I'm looking for measuring guidelines for having some made custom.

First off, I think I need 15/16" diameter, so none of your 3 standard sizes are going to be drop in solutions. Second, how do we determine how tall they need to be and at what point they need to transition from cylinder to bullet?

Kensai

FE87

I am going to hijack this thread a little. Planet10 have you ever done a phase plug for a FE87? I have two that have the dust caps pushed in. Little fingers got to them. What size would they be and can you create that size? Can it be done or will there be a chance of cutting the voice coil wires. These are the FE87 and not the FE87E. Thanks,

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kensai said:
so I'm looking for measuring guidelines for having some made custom.

First off, I think I need 15/16" diameter, so none of your 3 standard sizes are going to be drop in solutions. Second, how do we determine how tall they need to be and at what point they need to transition from cylinder to bullet?

1" VC diameter?

The production Visaton B200s may just fit (1st listen today -- nothing unexpected -- ie improvements in all expected areas... perhaps not as dramatic as on some of the Fostex, but still worthwhile IMHO)

The plug wants to reach to near the height of the surround. The shoulder wants to be just a bit above the height of the voice coil top above the pole-piece.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: FE87

kazoo said:
I am going to hijack this thread a little. Planet10 have you ever done a phase plug for a FE87? I have two that have the dust caps pushed in. Little fingers got to them. What size would they be and can you create that size? Can it be done or will there be a chance of cutting the voice coil wires. These are the FE87 and not the FE87E. Thanks,

I don't see a problem. with the caps pushed in, get that sharp knife out and excise one. if you want to be cautious just trim it back enuff to post a pic of what is underneath,

The FE126 & FE127 are the only problematic drivers so far. Reports from the field are that the FE103e is not a problem, older drivers should have no issues.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.