Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my line of thought is that its a simple job to wire past them while doing the other bits. Whether a difference could be heard is unlikely but at least its a clearer path and no chance of a poor contact in the fuse holder.
there must be a point at high volume where a physical change occurs in the conductor but how close to overload that is I dont know. A least this way I wont be concerned either way.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Whether a difference could be heard is unlikely but at least its a clearer path and no chance of a poor contact in the fuse holder.

If this is for your own gear and it's not likely to blow every other minute, why not solder the fuse caps to its respective holders?

On the topic of bypassing an inferior cap with one of smaller value but superior quality, this invariably creates a filter.

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

If this is for your own gear and it's not likely to blow every other minute, why not solder the fuse caps to its respective holders?

On the topic of bypassing an inferior cap with one of smaller value but superior quality, this invariably creates a filter.

Cheers, ;)

That could be a valid option for those wishing to keep a fuse in case.
My current amp is a Beard valve, a heavy beast which is powerful enough in a large room while the UV meters are at less than 10% . my ear drums would disintegrate before the amp or speakers stretched their legs.

When you say filter do you mean rather than purely clarity , the frequency response of the smaller cap being more efficient in its range would create a step?

Based on views so far it appears the K73-16's are not lacking in detail. Ive not experimented hugely with bypass caps but the normal aim id assume is to gain some detail on larger caps that dont express so good in the higher range?
Therefore, rather than a small bypass mixing in an alternative type larger value might be worth trying, if using all K73-16's doesn't hit the spot.

for my MF I need to make up 34uf so ill be trying first a 22+8.2+3.9 For the 7uf cross cap a single 6.8 will do.
the HF uses a 4 and a 6. So that will be a single 3.9 and the 6uf ill have a few options. I have ordered a variety of K73-16's in different voltages and from 22uf down to 1uf.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

When you say filter do you mean rather than purely clarity , the frequency response of the smaller cap being more efficient in its range would create a step?

Yes. Filter isn't the right word, it's more like an emphasis/highlight somehow.
How much it's going to be audible depends on the load the circuit is driving.
Essentially you want that bypass to dominate the entire audio band for the "inferior" component to audibly disappear.

Sometimes so called "inferior" passive parts serve a useful purpose so be ware of what you're using and what for.

Cheers, ;)

Whilst waiting for parts to arrive for my gale rebuild I thought id try some K73-16's in my valve phono stage.

This had ansar supersounds in 3.3uf. As my other values had not arrived I fitted some 3.9 250v.
first listening they have more weight than I was perhaps expecting (although I believe the supersounds are not know for this).
Seemed promising. After about 10hrs I gave them another proper listen. Lacking air at the moment but will keep them burning (playing a radio on low volume through the phono stage).
I should get a frequency response with just 1uf so will also try the 400v ones I now have.
need to rig up a burner to save time.
also on order are some 6.8n k73-16 to try bypassing with.
I have some 1uf mundorf silver oil supremes I could test to compare.

I have the 1uf cooking now. The 3.9's were still sounding a bit lifeless on about 20hrs.
I have just clipped on some 0.056 ampohm tin foil/oils.
huge increase in detail with these on top.
ill run like this tonight then try with removed tomorrow and give the 1ufs a try.
perhaps the 3.9's need more time as im not getting a sense yet of a detailed cap.

I have the 1uf cooking now. The 3.9's were still sounding a bit lifeless on about 20hrs.
I have just clipped on some 0.056 ampohm tin foil/oils.
huge increase in detail with these on top.
ill run like this tonight then try with removed tomorrow and give the 1ufs a try.
perhaps the 3.9's need more time as im not getting a sense yet of a detailed cap.

Done some more swapping tonight. Tried a k75-10 with a k42 0.056uf bypass as had these already with around 50hrs.
not a great mix. Not defined or open. Not sure if they would get a lot better.

Put on the 1uf k73-16 400v which had been burning on a rig for about 10hrs. These are better than the 3.9 250v already. Bass more controlled, everything had a bit more of its own space. Still not a large amount of air or ambience but better.
Tried bypassing with the ampohms, again lots of detail. Perhaps too much at higher listening levels starting to over take the lower midrange.
Put them back on the burner, see what more hours do for them.
I have some:vishay 1837's to try as bypass and some 6.8nf k73-16 on their way if the main k73-16's dont open up enough alone. A lot more hours could be needed yet.

I don't bypass the K73-16 when used as an input cap, since I find the values that I use (typically 1.8 or 2.2 uF) sufficiently detailed and natural. However, if a small bypass is needed, a PPS or film/foil cap below ~10 nF should be worth trying. Things that come to mind are Panasonic ECHS, ERO KP1837, KC1850, Wima FKP2/FKP3, FKS2/FKS3 and Sprague orange drop 716P.

My aim for the k73-16's is to use in gale crossovers but the experimenting above is output couplers on my valve phono stage. Ive been meaning to try some different caps here so this was a good excuse to do.

The 1uf have had more hours overnight so at about 20 now. Tried with the ampohms. I think 0.056 is too high for this purpose as pulling the top end detail down into the upper mids. For lower input impedance amps these or if you can find smaller values are amazing caps for detail.

The 1uf k73-16 400v at 20hrs has brightened up but in my system at these hours is a bit focused on the top mids. See what more burning does.

Read a bit about the lush mids of K75-10's but have failed so far to get the best from these. Usually sounding a bit muddled. However, just trying these now (2x0.47) bypassed with 10nf 1837's. Read a tip to trim the legs right back on the 1837's.
I can see why as they are almost like spring metal. I've done this and put some silver plated fly leads on.
this combo is sounding promising so far, the muddled sound has gone.

Update on comparisons.

I have now spent two weeks comparing capacitors and combinations in my valve phono stage against the k73-16's.

It has been interesting but difficult. They all sound different, with good elements.

My conclusion is the choice is down to picking an even balance.

K75-10's. Wanted to like these. Alone the sound was confused. With a bypass of a 10nf 1837 it cleared up but had a dip in upper mids. With 20nf it was better.
A nice tone was in there, but they never really came to life for me.

Last edited:
K73-16's.
I may not have given the 3.9uf long enough to burn in but the 1uf k73-16 400v sounded better sooner.

Firstly, I think these take a lot if hours to reveal themselves. They were nothing special until 100hrs plus.

I was expecting a detailed but possibly thin sound.
they are not thin, interesting stuff happens lower down too.
However, I have found bypassing with a 6.8nf k73-16 1600v to give them a kick. To me this takes them from a 8 to a 10. A 1837 10nf didn't have the same balanced effect.

I think these baby k73-16's are something very special.

So, out of various combinations of about 15 types of caps this was the clear winner.
detailed without a dip or step in the balance, good tone and tight bass.

Mundorf silver - the PETP matched it for detail and I believe was less strident and aggressive at the top end.

PETP/polyester caps has a much higher dissipation factor than
those made with polypropylene and is not recommended for use in high frequency designs.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28147/intro.pdf

My theory would be that the PETP caps work as crude low pass filter, meaning that the top end is not "less strident and aggressive", but simply missing/dampended ;)

So how di they compare against 1uf mundorf supreme silver oils?
I have swapped back and forth about 10 times over a week.
First impression was the SIO had a depth and tone in the vocal range the k73 couldn't match.
I think this remains true.
However, I found the k73 combo to have the advantage in bass control and upper frequency.

I tried bypassing the SIO with the baby k73-16's.
This gave some pretty standout results in terms of detail.
But on extended listening it was over kill in my system.

So, back to SIO against k73 combo.

In the end I have settled on the k73's.

I think the vocals on the SIO are special. But I found the bass tighter on the k73 and more telling, the top end was detailed yet easy on the ear. The top on the SIO could occasionally sound louder or brighter than the rest. Just enough to break my bubble.
Given the SIO cost around 30x the price the results are even more telling.
The do have great vocals, but overall the K73 is just there. But only with the bypass, alone I found they were a bit distant against the SIO

Status
Not open for further replies.