'Perceive v2.0' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Drivers for the sub arrived today.

2 x 15" Volt R3863.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Definitely got a very British studio flavour going on now with the ATC's and the Volts :)

Again, I still haven't fully finished the v2's but I'm working on the cabinet design for the Volts right now so when the time comes I'll be ready. God I hate the British weather! :(

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
How many of these drivers are you using and what kind of alignment? Are you making one sub or stereo subs? Very interesting design on those drivers, they look really well built (is that the spider in FRONT of the cone?).

Hi motion,

I've got just two of the Volt Radials and each is 15". I'll be using stereo subs to augment the mains and each of these subs will feature just a single 15" Volt Radial. Alignment is floating between sealed Linkwitz Transform and ported - I really think I'll have to build one of each to get a complete picture.

The design is interesting, the entire basket is moved to the front of the cone and actually has dual spiders: one in front and one behind. The radial style basket design is actually an effort to more effectively cool the VC and prevent compression and TS parameters from deviating under loads.

I've actually owned this particular model of Volt bass driver a year or so ago where it performed subwoofer duties. The quality of the bass was quite incredible but the xmax is relatively small. The upshot is higher efficiency at 94dB. These designs don't go incredibly low either so flat to 20hz is my revised and realistic goal. This was a compromise between outright quality, musicality and realism vs. depth and SPL.

They also need quite large boxes at around 100-150ltrs to perform best and another reason why I didn't go with 2 per sub as the cabinets would be rather large 300ltr efforts.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Hi motion,

I've got just two of the Volt Radials and each is 15". I'll be using stereo subs to augment the mains and each of these subs will feature just a single 15" Volt Radial. Alignment is floating between sealed Linkwitz Transform and ported - I really think I'll have to build one of each to get a complete picture.

The design is interesting, the entire basket is moved to the front of the cone and actually has dual spiders: one in front and one behind. The radial style basket design is actually an effort to more effectively cool the VC and prevent compression and TS parameters from deviating under loads.

I've actually owned this particular model of Volt bass driver a year or so ago where it performed subwoofer duties. The quality of the bass was quite incredible but the xmax is relatively small. The upshot is higher efficiency at 94dB. These designs don't go incredibly low either so flat to 20hz is my revised and realistic goal. This was a compromise between outright quality, musicality and realism vs. depth and SPL.

They also need quite large boxes at around 100-150ltrs to perform best and another reason why I didn't go with 2 per sub as the cabinets would be rather large 300ltr efforts.

If you're going with a box that big, this may interest you:

http://member.newsguy.com/~stigerik/almighty/index.html

Sheldon

I've actually owned this particular model of Volt bass driver a year or so ago where it performed subwoofer duties. The quality of the bass was quite incredible but the xmax is relatively small.
Those Volts remind me of the Celestion AD12 which have a similar looking cone material, very sensitive, low qts, short xmax, but superb sound quality. Drivers in this category always tend to sound impressive.

I've got a pair lying around that I've never known what to do with.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Finished the AKSA 55N+

I've had them up and running for about a week now and I must say they sound superb. I'm not one for really placing much faith in noticing great differences between electronics but I'm finally starting to come around to the idea after listening to these. The improvements are undeniable and unsubtle. Wonderfully cohesive and musical sound to these amps. Really add an extra notch of realism to the performance. The highs in particular seem much smoother that I'm acustom to after comming from Rod's ESP101's and Parasound amplification. Its still very detailed and with possibly more 'atmostphere' or 'air' but doesn't force itself on you like the others did, like I said before this is one extremely natural amp.

Possibly the best amp I've heard full stop or at the very least its the best I've had on the end of the Perceives that's for sure. Overall I couldn't be happier with them and they've taken the speakers up yet another notch or two.

Been deliberating over whether to use some 4u rack mount cases for the amps or redo the bases of the speakers to incorporate the amps like so:

Any thoughts?

ShinOBIWAN said:
Any thoughts?
Into very subjective territory here, but I'm not liking the look of that plinth. Not a fan of the pole that props it up either. Perhaps try modelling a a sheet of wood perpendicular to the rear to prop it up, or maybe clear acrylic so as to take focus of the prop and leave it on those beautiful enclosures.

Attachments

• shin01.gif
    shin01.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 486
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.