'Perceive' Contruction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
OK managed to take the latest pics today and upload them:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Got the whole of this week off so hoping to get these really moving.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by lufbramatt wow

looks like a very impressive project so far, will be very keen on seeing the finished article.

and I sympathise with you about the router- i recently killed my dremel in a similar fashion :D

Cheers buddy.

i was wondering, seeing as there are some very expensive commercial amps available, how the amps a lot of people use in active systems compare? does the qualitiy of the amp not have as much effect as the amps are only handling a small range of the audio spectrum?

These are the highly regarded P101 amps from ESP. They use lateral MOSFET's and specifically the SK1058/SJ162. These can be found in highend amps costing upto £1000's.

Your also spot on with your observation regarding less work. Each driver has its own amp and each amp only has to cover a limited frequency range. This means lower THD, IMD, and generally a higher quality sound than a single amp could achieve. The passive XO network is also removed from the equation so the amp is directly coupled to the speaker, meaning more control, power and better quality.

cheers for the quick reply :)

im considering building some active speakers for my final year design project next year for uni, those amps look very interesting.
Obviously im gonna have to do a lot more research, but have all summer to get to grips with what is required. If i can get some interesting materials selection in there too ill be set . . . :cool:

pinkmouse- hehe it looks so different from the air! small world and all that-

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
David Gatti said:
Thats' the best mounting of the ATC mid I've seen. Great work.

Thanks David, I know what you mean. Most bolt through the front, including ATC, and it wasn't the look I was after.

Still admire your sterling work on the Delta's. I saw your work posted here and it made me sit up and want to be build that' no holds barred' speaker that I'd always planned to build but never got any further than a few lose idea's in my head.

David Gatti said:
By the way, one thing you may want to consider is decoupling the drivers/mounting screws from the baffle with a rubber or felt gasket & rubber washers.

Already done m8, ATC supply a rubber gasket which interfaces with the drive unit and baffle. I've also used 2 felt washers on each of the 4 mountings.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dayton+audio+spikes&btnG=Google+Search

don't know if Partsexpress or others do over seas shipping (but some where in the search you might find a UK supplier..)

also note that they have several "colors" available -

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage...dio+speaker+spikes&raid=44&rak=cabinet_spikes

As to the bannana connectors - you won't need them assuming you direct connect the amps to the drivers, but you will need good female RCA connectors - the best of which are the new WBT "Next Gen" pure silver (if your using silver wire) or their copper version if your using copper wire - and if so the only copper wire I'd consider is this (and its the ONLY place I know of to get it):

http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/cccaudiowireccaudiosolder.html

As for the WBT connectors - you should be able to get them anywhere..

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
studiotech said:
ShinOBIWAN,

Have you made any good progress? I seem to remember that you said you had last week off, so how did it go? I am dying to see more updates.

Greg

Cheers for the interest Greg.

Sorry but I hardly managed anything last week, infact the cabinets are essentially untouched from my last posting. The only thing I've really done is finished up all the soldering on the amps and ordered a few more bits including caps, toroidal's and somemore boards from ESP.

In the end I had to work from Wednesday onwards because my second took ill, then we went away over the weekend.

I'm extremely busy for the next week or two catching up on the workload after last weeks hickup. So I really doubt I'll have anything more to show soonish.

Pop back in a couple of weeks and I'll definitely have more to show around that time.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hello again all,

Had a little time to finish all the amps off and, this evening, tested two of them.

Some problem along the way but thanks to the help of PM and Rich, I got them sorted.

These are absolutely fantastic, a real control to them. I've had them rigged up to the active XO along with the Scan & ATC, no Seas as the bass cabinets aren't finished yet.
I've settled on what I think is the best frequency for the most natural and open sound between the ATC and scan, and that is 3100hz.
Did try 1850hz - the ATC is clearly a better performer than the scan in this area so the sound is somewhat 'thin' using this point. Also tried 2400hz, better but I think that ATC really deserves more of the frequency range - its that good.

Undoubtably the best mid & treble I've heard, quite a nice improvement over the passive XO too. But that is all I can tell from just listening to one speaker with limited bass response.

Really going to have to get these finished, can't wait to hear something in stereo and with a little bass ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
edjosh23 said:
ShinOBIWAN,

congrats, lets see some photos.

Are all 3 amps going to be mounted in the back of the speakers?

Josh

Cheers Josh,

Will get some photo's of the finished amps up tommorow sometime.

Your right about the amps, they're going in the back, along with all the boards. I'm going for a self contained speaker in much the same vein as many of the active studio monitors. Just turn on and then plug in your pre-amp/source and off you go.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with quite a loud buzz from the amps at the moment though, probably a ground issue. But its audible from quiet some distance (3-4meters). Obviously this won't do for the and unless I get it sorted I may have to rethink.

Anyone with advice on this?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
edjosh23 said:
Are you going to have to reach behind each speaker to turn on, or are you going to plug them into your preamp and have your preamp turn them on?

Is the noise coming from the amp itself or the speaker connected?

Good Luck, and you always reply very fast :)

Josh

:D

I've been virtually living on this forum since I started these and email alerts are a good idea ;) Also hoping someone was offering advice on this damned buzz.

Yes the power switch will be on the rear, no plans to implement a trigger or auto-off. Would be nice but I've already overstepped my abilities with regards to building the amps. There's a first time for everything though.

The buzz is comming from the speakers not the amps, although the way I worded it made it sound different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.