• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've used the batts before and it seems to work fine - the stuff I had was self-supporting and maintained a uniform density but had I teased into to fluff it might have gotten clumpy.

Application dependent. For the Pensils, it should be well teased and fairly uniform. Also leaving it as bats means you can't change the density of the stuffing.

dave

Thanks Lorien, looking at that now...any idea what amount I should order ?

1 /2 / 5 KG for both Pencils ? Also where to put the stuffing and what
quantity. I'll PM you my system and room dims now to not draw this thread away from Pencil Pics ! Thanks again , appriciate your help. Steve.

More pics below of my build . . .

Attachments

• DSCN0682.jpg
    DSCN0682.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 485
Stuffing pic from inside - room 3.5 x 7 mtrs.

Was just searching " pencil stuffing " on here, don't seem to be any
pictures / methods...I know it's room dependant so trial and error I guess
is the answer.

Getting a Dacron headache. ! Thanks again, Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN0670.jpg
    DSCN0670.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 555
Thanks again for that - just ordered 2 KG : eBay item - 190899212947.

Hoping that'll be enough. Will use some of the existing Dacron glued at the base to support this new wadding.

" Too much stuffing...Sounds congested and boxy "...that sums up my current SQ. But very very impressed though, even at this early burn in stage.

All the best, Steve.

Hi all,

Just ripped out most of the wadding fitted at the back of the cabinets
held in place by the brace.

Night and day difference. Before ( with a very sensitive tinitus - suffering left ear ) the sound was very shrill - vocals were shouty, soudstage was lacking. All that remains are some 12" pieces of dacron fitted to the front and about 2" down from the bottom of the Alpairs.

Absolutely incredible difference, massive improvement.

Why's stuffing important if all the internal surfaces are very heavily bitumen damped with the best internal brace I could build ? Pictures below, very best regards, Steve.

Nb..The Alpairs will be 100Hz high passed so any boominess will hopefully be avoided ?

Attachments

• IMG03459-20140305-1356.jpg
    IMG03459-20140305-1356.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 531
  • build 9 internal brace.jpg
    build 9 internal brace.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why's stuffing important if all the internal surfaces are very heavily bitumen damped with the best internal brace I could build ?

All transmission lines have a fundemental 1/4 w/l resonance and a bunch of higher harmonic resonances. The fundemental improves bass extension, all the rest cause ripple in the LF response. The idea is to keep the 1st one, and eliminated all the rest. Driver offset can be used to mostly eliminate one of those, usually you try for the 1st one, a restricted terminus improves the low pass function of the line, but volume fill damping is a prime tool for reducing this ripple.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bitumen padding is certainly one way to significantly reduce enclosure panel resonances

(Assumming bitumen padding -- you did also say paint)

Actually it can be a mixed bag. You are adding damping, which will suck up energy that can cause the panel to resonate, but you are also adding mass without stiffness which both lowers the (potential) resonance frequency and lowering the Q, which means there is more energy to excite it, and lower Q resonances are more audiable. Since it is solid you are also reducing enclosure volume, so changing the design parameters.

dave