• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil and superpensil for A12.2 P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have paid for a pair of these speakers and would like to make a decision for the cabinet.
My room is about 200 sq ft and a ceiling of about 9 feet.

I hope someone with experience can share the sound difference between these 2 cabinets,?

I read that there is a midbass dip with superpensil.
How significant is this ?
HOw much more bass extension do I get with the bigger cabinet ?
Are both cabinets designed to be placed close to the wall?

thanks

kp93300

SuperPensil is not a small cabinet, (19" deep) and that's a fairly small room, so I'd suggest nothing larger than the regular Pensil (~11.5", depending on material used)

Actually, it sounds like it's a bit late to comment, but the 12P might be overkill for the room.

mp9 - I think we're on the same page - even the standard Pensil for the 12P isn't compact. I've heard the 12P in 2 different enclosures and rooms - the SuperPensil ( approx 300 ft^2 room, Jeff?) and MarKen12T in much larger space. In both cases driven by tube amps, but P/P with much more than single digit flea power.

The only downside I could foresee with Scott's little BR is the rear port - when space is at a premium as I suspect would be the case in a 200sq ft room, there could be some compromise in performance if placed too near a back wall.

Iirc, initially when Scott gave Colin the plans they were just dimensions and he didn't specify a front or rear port location, i think Colin chose rear for additional bass reinforcement from a rear wall.

I don't know if Scott would approve of the small reflex box built with a front port and or if doing so will subject us to chuffing noises from a front port?

I'd guess the above would be a non issue with the front vents of the MarKen possibly tipping the scales in their favor...although -

Re: the MarKen i read it has a smooth LF rolloff.
Re: Moose-box, slightly damped which will match well with low power tube amps.

- henceforth i'm not clear if that would indicate the slightly damped Moose-box the better choice for low watt SET aficionados then a MarKen?

Another cabinet with small footprint for the A12P is Bob Brines M12-A12 MLTL. Internal depth few inches less than the standard Pensil. A bit taller though, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Z, i don't think it so much a issue of foot print as all are about the same and both B.B's MLTL and Pencil's are front ported.
If i'm not mistaken i think it's more about bass overpowering the small room. Also the two monitors by virtue of such and on stands, should have the edge wrt imaging, idk...am very curious to try one in one of my small rooms.

mp9 / Zia - based on my listening to the 12P, bass overpowering the smallish room was my prime concern

I have experience with a room approx that size - I doubt that even a 9ft ceiling would help all that much, and before extensive acoustic treatment is suggested, be aware that bass traps / absorbers have their own real estate premium - by the time the acoustic issues are resolved, the room can get too small to sit in. A case were less can be more.

I've already asked in different topics, but haven't received any replies even though i'm sure a number of members knew the answer.
I'll finish my Superpensils in a few days and I'm going with very fine quality sheep wool for damping. Naturally I'm using internal bracing as well..
Where should the damping go within the enclosure? And how does it stay in place?
Thanks

and depending on how many hours of playing / break-in time on the drivers, be prepared to adjust the level of fill to fine tune for synergy with amp / room

on my first build of Pensil7s almost 2 years ago, I found the recommended amount of fill excessive, and removed at least 1/3.

Just finished a 16 hour stint on my thesis.

The BR I did for Colin is usually to be found lurking in what would be regarded by many as a small room, near a front wall, & generally used with 300b monoblocks. No issues with the rear-firing vent. It's a moderately damped alignment so is fairly flexible in practice. You might get some if it really was rammed up against a wall, but you'd expect that; ye olde common sense is always required. ;)

No midbass dip re the larger pensil AFAIK. With that said, from a design / alignment I prefer the standard box: the larger one I did simply because I was asked to. As for damping: as above. When it comes to densities, that varies depending on room, amplifier, personal preference & the material used. That's why they have a removable back: so DIYers have a large amount of latitude to tune them to suit their particular requirements.

SuperPensil is not a small cabinet, (19" deep) and that's a fairly small room, so I'd suggest nothing larger than the regular Pensil (~11.5", depending on material used)

Actually, it sounds like it's a bit late to comment, but the 12P might be overkill for the room.
Hi chrisb,
thanks for the comment.
My present speaker is V2 from GR research with 4 --12 inch open baffle woofer going into the low 30 hz.
I donot find bass boom an issue with my well damped room that also double as my study room.
My plan is to rotate the usage of the speaker depending on my music choice. hence the speaker will be sited adjacent to my existing V2 that is about 3 feet away from the front wall and about 7 feet from my listerning position.

I intend to raise the speaker to ear level by building a small stands.

I prefer transparent and honest speakers that brings you to the concert hall in a live recording !

This is the link to V2. V-2

cheers
kp93300

Last edited:
Just finished a 16 hour stint on my thesis.

The BR I did for Colin is usually to be found lurking in what would be regarded by many as a small room, near a front wall, & generally used with 300b monoblocks. No issues with the rear-firing vent. It's a moderately damped alignment so is fairly flexible in practice. You might get some if it really was rammed up against a wall, but you'd expect that; ye olde common sense is always required. ;)

No midbass dip re the larger pensil AFAIK. With that said, from a design / alignment I prefer the standard box: the larger one I did simply because I was asked to. As for damping: as above. When it comes to densities, that varies depending on room, amplifier, personal preference & the material used. That's why they have a removable back: so DIYers have a large amount of latitude to tune them to suit their particular requirements.

Hi Scottmose,
thanks for your reply.
You design the superpensil to get more bass extension or better dynamic contrast ?
I have numerous diy amps to try in this speaker and hope to venture into tube amp with this speaker in future .
regards

kp93300

At the risk of sounding like a broken LP (remember those?), I think the Avebury would need even more real estate - i.e. spacing from rear wall - than the SuperPensils to fully blossom, and regardless of contribution to cubic volume by 9 or even 10ft ceiling, I seriously question that 200sq ft would provide the listening distance for the panoramic soundstage of which this tall double rear mouth design is capable. I've heard the smaller sibling Maeshowe (A7.3) and kissing cousins Victor ( FE126E) and Vulcan (FE166E) fill a big room.

But if you're finding the GR V2s to not present any issues in the room, then I could be all wet. I have limited experience with open baffle designs, and while none that I have heard had issues with bass boom, there were other reasons why they're not quite right for me.

If the 12P is definitely the driver to be used, I'd seriously consider any of the smaller stand mounted designs already named.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.