• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
patented a.d.t. acoustic dampening tube

I'm always suspicious of a phrase like this when the patent # is not given. Usually seen when a patent has been submitted (and most of those aps i've seen don't deserve a patent).

Some googling didn't turn up anything.

From the description, they are trying to do all the damping within the extent of the cover... could be as simple as a block of open cel foam, or a layered arrangement. Certainly doesn't sound like anything that hasn't been tried before.

dave

I found it interesting simply because it may point out the fact that glass does have some issues that have to be worked around. If it is some sort of aperiodic vent, it means they are trying to avoid interaction with the cabinet, probably because they have tried it and had issues. I will try to sketch up some ideas! That is an ugly speaker. This, om the other hand, is not.

PERFECT8 Technologies: The Force

Stereophile
"All of this design would be of no important if the sound produced were deficient. I was prepared for, well, I don't know what. I was stunned to hear utterly transparent sound, with the clarity and lucidity of the original Quad's midrange. Selecting "The Mooche" from Stereophile's Editor's Choice CD, I heard the best sound I've heard from all the different loudspeakers on which I have auditioned this recording. Switching to my current "Record to Die For," the Stravinsky's Rite of Spring with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic (CD, DG 00289477 6198), this orchestral piece sound utterly clean, totally free from distortion, while exhibiting superb subtleties, particularly in the timbre of the woodwinds. The only criticism was that I heard compression on the bass drum beats.

While a $275,000 asking price is other-worldly, so was the sound."

BTW, you cannot find a single picture showing rear of speaker. This would give clues as to how they mounted the drivers. Oddly enough, they seemed to have enclosed the back of the driver in a decorative bezel. On a dipole?

This company uses the glass as if it were a ribbon speaker. Even added some speaker holes for aesthetics. I guess this means glass resonates!:D

Greensound Technology | Home

Last edited:
Hi Mp3,
You've got some very nice gear. Hang on the the Sony 707 (I have a yummy all Japan 333EX). The Fi amp should also be nice but its only 3 watts per channel (by the way, I have matched 3 sets of vintage 2a3 tubes).

We need to relate all these factors to room size. Can you give dimensions and details:

1 - length X width X height?
2 - How many walls with glass windows?
3 - Brief description of how the room's set out (eg. you want speaks to go on the long wall, in each corner, small or big sofa centrally positioned etc.)
4 - Listening distance (how far away from the speaks will you sit)?

Don't rush to buy 10.2' or 12's just yet. Let's sort out getting all the factors working for you. Speaker selection is best done when all the audio elements are fully evaluated.

Cheers

Mark.
I'll try to describe it.
~19'x13'x8'H, one short wall/~5' opening centered 4' from each side and opens to a 7'W hallway. One long wall has a ~8' opening into another room that's 11'Deep from the entry with a similar window to the 19x13x8 rooms 7'Lx4'H window on the long wall. Both have full window treatments. The long wall with window is where i keep the speakers, more so that they're out of the way when not in use. I have two french provincial chairs by the 8' opening where i sit ~9' away. Sometimes i move speakers out into the room and sit 8'-10' away on a couch that spans the windowless 13' wall. There is a baby grand piano in the corner by the short wall with the 5' opening that messes up the layout. A french prov (all the furniture in that room is fp), marble top bench with cushioned seat tops on each end and a ~2'W full length gilded mirror behind it. Large oil on canvas paintings hanging on two walls, round marble top coffee book table that i move out of harms way for music listening. Extra thick oriental carpets/oak hardwood floors. The room beyond the long walls ~8' opening has a full dinning room set.
I toyed with Hiro's for a while which ended up to visually imposing for the room plus i tired of tucking them away in a corner when not in use. I removed the 166es-r's, installed standard fe166 drivers and gave them to my sister for her basement HT and Stereo setup. She has a Sonic Frontiers Anthem int pp el84 tube amp next to a HT receiver/surround system. The Hiro blows away the HT stuff. Tried to convince them to lose the HT setup, i'm pretty sure they're latent hoarders.
I also have a 11.5'x17' room with a 2'x4' bump out closet at one corner by a 4.5'Hx7.5'W window short wall and a 2' opening to another room. The room has a sofa bed, two cushy love seats/ottoman, end tables and flat screen tv. It also has a oriental carpet. I have to get rid of the sofa bed and rearrange the room to want to use it more than i do for music listening.
I've two empty bedrooms/beds/furniture that are really too small and cluttered to enjoy music the way we like to hear it. I have to keep the beds in those rooms for seasonal visits form out of town relatives and such. None are ideal or dedicated to audio, but i'm not complaining, i mean, although not audiophile approved, they could be worse (or something like that).

I found it interesting simply because it may point out the fact that glass does have some issues that have to be worked around. If it is some sort of aperiodic vent, it means they are trying to avoid interaction with the cabinet, probably because they have tried it and had issues. I will try to sketch up some ideas! That is an ugly speaker. This, om the other hand, is not.
PERFECT8 Technologies: The Force
While a $275,000 asking price is other-worldly, so was the sound."
Greensound Technology | Home
That's the speaker i had in mind when i said they should be been made of Starphire glass for that kind of money. To Me the that standard "green" glass we see everywhere kills such a exquisite looking speaker.
Any guess if Fabio ordered a pair to go along with his bedrooms Krell galactic command center? lol.

IIRC, the Waterfall tube is literally that: a cardboard tube filled with damping material that fits across the back of the driver so they can avoid having any material in the box itself. To say it isn't new is something of an understatement. Back in the 1960s, a favoured method of damping things down in BRs (particularly the early modestly-sized ducted port cabinets) was to staple a layer of fiberglas across the back of the driver; Waterfall are just pulling a neat variation on the theme.

Re ringing, it depends what frequency it's ringing at. If it's outside / above the cabinet's operating BW, it doesn't really matter if it rings like a bell as there shouldn't be sufficient energy available to excite it.

Thanks everyone. I actually have a serious computer I've appropriately named 'Monster Rig' that I built early last year with top quality parts. The onboard sound from the motherboard is quite nice with fiber optic and digital coax outs, plus Real HD via the headphone jack supporting up to 7.1. I also have a nice Sony cd unit in there so maybe quite possibly I'm perfectly set up already, no need to buy an expensive stand alone cd player. That money could be used for a DAC instead. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I actually just received my kit from Peter yesterday in the mail after about a week and a half of waiting. I was completely shocked. Here I was expecting a medium sized box in the mail and instead I receive a slim package. The contents are TINY. Hahahaha oh well, I'll start assembly in a couple days and will throw together a super pencil while I wait for them to arrive. I'll start a build thread with my choice veneer of ribbon striped mahogany or burly walnut laying down on 13-ply void-less plywood. Can't wait can't wait can't wait. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I feel I have a slight advantage on building cabinets as all of my parts will be precision cut using my CNC router (Komo VR510) down to 1/1000th of an inch. I can split hairs :D

Had a chance to listen and compare Pensil 10.2 and Pensil 12 for a few minutes at Mark's office last week. The time was not enough. We need to have a intensive listening. High quality amplifier is needed for the demo.

Today, I went to listen Kenneth's Pensil 10.2. It is my first time to intensively listen this new full range speakers from Mark Audio. Controlled by Kenneth's nice 300B power amps, Alpair 10.2 on Pensil 10 has high speed and top-end details. Very good dynamic range on playing orchestra, smooth mid range and deep bass really made me surprised. When I close my eyes, I couldn't hear the sound coming from speaker boxes, I heard the whole sound stage where every instruments playing in their positions. The speakers disappear.

Attachments

• P10.2-1.jpg
    P10.2-1.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 271
  • P10.2-5.jpg
    P10.2-5.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 260
  • P10.2-7.jpg
    P10.2-7.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 259
Thanks for Mark Fenlon's high quality Alpair 10.2 full range drivers. If Alpair 10.2 works with right cabinets and good quality amplifier, high-end sound performance is possible.

(Hi Tony, Have U got a pic of the Pencil 10.2 cabs without the vents being blocked? I know Kenneth is using this control method while you get him more damping material but we don't want to mislead any new guys on how to adjust the cabs output) - Thanks Mark

Attachments

• P10.2-4.jpg
    P10.2-4.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mp9,

The sound of Alpair 10.2 is really magical and remarkable. The silky high range and rich mid range of 10.2 are very impressive. We highly recommend to use high quality 300B class A single end amp to work Alpair 10.2. Kenneth's double C-core output transformers is good partner of 10.2.

Musik007, they look nice, and wow to the magical sound you described!

Steve, i bet your monster/dac/96/24 and such will be a top-notch front end source, what type of amplifier will you use to drive the super pencil?

O.T., a bit of humor in link to the Fabio reference of post #65:
YouTube - Tom Green's Celebrity Home Tours

Attachments

• DSCN4089.jpg
    DSCN4089.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 283
Mp9, I'll be using Peter Daniel's LM3875 premium dual mono gainclone kit that I received yesterday in the mail. I'm a complete newbie to building electronics so Lord knows how long it will take me to assemble the amp. Hopefully it's easier to build than I'm thinking and everything will go smoothly so I can start testing it out on some various full range drivers I've got laying around before I put it to the test with the Alpair's. I'm still beating myself up on which Alpair's to purchse though, everyone's saying that the 10.2's are nothing short of phenomenal, though I haven't read quite as much praise about the 12 other than that it's extremely critical and has a dynamic adavantage over the 10 because of it's cone area. I'm just not quite sure.

I got my drivers! I got my drivers! I got my drivers! Sorry, I had to get that out of the way. I'm really not that excited, just trying to be encouraging to Mark.:D can I break these in using an appropriate sized cardboard box?

Hi Buzz,
Excellent news. Sure, most any box to start with. Gently does it. Keep vols low, no big bass. Easy going vocals is usually the best. See post No.2 on this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/177064-alpair-10-gen-2-introduction.html

Have fun!
Mark.

I'll try to describe it.
~19'x13'x8'H, one short wall/~5' opening centered 4' from each side and opens to a 7'W hallway. One long wall has a ~8' opening into another room that's 11'Deep from the entry with a similar window to the 19x13x8 rooms 7'Lx4'H window on the long wall. Both have full window treatments. The long wall with window is where i keep the speakers, more so that they're out of the way when not in use. I have two french provincial chairs by the 8' opening where i sit ~9' away. Sometimes i move speakers out into the room and sit 8'-10' away on a couch that spans the windowless 13' wall. There is a baby grand piano in the corner by the short wall with the 5' opening that messes up the layout. A french prov (all the furniture in that room is fp), marble top bench with cushioned seat tops on each end and a ~2'W full length gilded mirror behind it. Large oil on canvas paintings hanging on two walls, round marble top coffee book table that i move out of harms way for music listening. Extra thick oriental carpets/oak hardwood floors. The room beyond the long walls ~8' opening has a full dinning room set.
I toyed with Hiro's for a while which ended up to visually imposing for the room plus i tired of tucking them away in a corner when not in use. I removed the 166es-r's, installed standard fe166 drivers and gave them to my sister for her basement HT and Stereo setup. She has a Sonic Frontiers Anthem int pp el84 tube amp next to a HT receiver/surround system. The Hiro blows away the HT stuff.
(or something like that).

Hi Mp9,
I'll concentrate on your existing "music" room (Baby Grand et.al.). Can I right in thinking your'e a musician?
Anyway, this room is reasonable sized and is typical of many home environments. I don't see any major challenges although speaker optimal placement will need some experimentation. Given your listening tastes centre on the "smooth", I'd be tempted to put the Alp10.2's as No.1 on the list.
Now comes the tricky bit. I think the 2a3 amp is lacking steam for this job (3 watts?). But on the other hand, I've tried Derek's N3 Miniwatt on the 10.2's with surprisingly good results. A bit lacking in bass but very sweet. The quick test was done in my studio which is big (approx 7 metres wide by 18 metres long). Whereas your sister's EL84 could offer more power (can you "borrow"?). Have you got any more info on these amps? Or remind me (more details) of the other amps you have.

(Has your sister got a digi camera, or friend? Pics come in so handy)

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Mark,
What do you think of the 10.2's being driven by an Aleph J?

I've found this thread on the J:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/61803-aleph-j.html

I'd love to try this amp on the Alp12's. Also the 10.2s could be very nice, but I have the feeling the copper coil on the Alp12's will like this amp very mucho. Remember guys, this is only my off-the-cuff thinking. Wish a had a ton on money to buy all these amps!

Cheers

Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.