Pearl Two

Rich
I would guess the problem is with the solder joints... again.
You could fix this board - or start anew. Make sure you test your components because others beside R29 might be gone now...

Or a short vs ground plane ... :rolleyes:

I would get a new soldering tip, and remove all - resolder all new. With shiny / well done joints.

For a simple resistor/pad joint, heat with screw driver type tip, at 45° angle so it touches both component lead and pad. Heat for about 3 seconds or so, by tight contact. Pressure must be enough to transport the heat. So, holding the pcb in a vice is a good idea for this ;)

Then, apply flux. It must go all over and flow, don't add too much at the same time; better joints are done with minimal quantity flux. Otherwise it takes more time to cool up, will overlap with ground plane adding complications later. When flux as "wetten" all wanted, quickly remove the soldering tip. It must consolidate in about a second. You should see the process with your very eyes !

Optional : After each soldering, verify there is no short between pad and adjacent ground plane/pad.

Best,

nAr

Last edited:
thanks guys.

I'll remove everything from the output and test the input again . I need to order new tips and a couple of parts. Obviously , I would like to keep the board
if the input is still good , if not , I'll order a new board .
nAr , if you could spare a couple of ZVP 3310 that would be great ?
. I can't find them in the UK .

Thanks for your help ,Wishing you all a wonderful holiday , Rich

Just re-read your post, try connecting the turntable ground to the Pearl chassis instead.

6L6 beat me to it. ;)

Here's an update on my grounding issue. I'm getting a buzzing sound from only one of my two tables (a Mitsu LT-30). All is quiet when using the other one.

Oddly, whether grounding the Mitsu to the star, or leaving it un-grounded, makes absolutely no difference in the noise level. Holding the end of the ground wire between my fingers reduces the noise quite a bit. This is strange, I never owned a table that behaved this way.

Update 2: This was happening with a Pickering XSV-3000 cartridge. Using a Grace F-9 cart, there is tremendous hum with the table left un-grounded. The one difference between the carts is that the Pickering uses a grounding strap between one of the pins and the metal cart body.

Update 3: Problem solved. Since the Pearl 2 reverses phase, I reversed the polarity of the cartridge leads to compensate. Apparently this causes grounding problems, since putting the leads back to the proper polarity eliminated the buzz.

Last edited:
Final update on Pearl 2 grounding...

Grounding issues can be tough to troubleshoot, because the noise tends to come and go, is different with different turntables, and can change depending on the location of equipment and cabling, what's being touched, etc. I kept making changes based on the advice of various individuals, thinking they worked, only to find that the buzzing sound came back with a vengeance.

Well, I finally have a completely quiet Pearl 2, based on 6L6's advice. My config is what he recommended:

• Earth only connected to the PS chassis
  • Output jack grounds connected to the PCBs (I had connected them to a star ground instead)
  • PCB starground and turntable ground to Pearl 2 chassis (I didn't know the PCB starground existed)
  • v+, v-, vground floating
  • Shielded turntable interconnect cable from the input jacks to the PCBs

So a hearty thanks to 6L6, this had been bugging me for some time!

Mark

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, I finally have a completely quiet Pearl 2, based on 6L6's advice.

I am so very glad that your build is quiet!! Congrats! Now you can stop breathing solder fumes and listen to some of your prized records!

Also, credit where credit is due, it's not really 'my' grounding scheme, but our esteemed designer's, Wayne. He does suggest letting the ground post float and connect it to the chassis only if it is, in fact, quieter that way. FWIW, both my Pearl and Pearl 2 have been quietest with the ground post connected to the chassis.

Rich - I'm glad to hear that the card arrived. There are lots of people cheering for you to have a successful project! :D :D :D Hang in there, victory is sweetest after a challenging battle.

Last edited:
Got some post today . nAr - bits from France and a lovely card from the 6 clan cheering me on ...

your the best :) thanks guys , Rich

Hope the bits from France will help you finish & enjoy that wonderful phono stage :)
And use good soldering tip, nice solder, perfect joints. It will help.

You have 5 tries for the ZVP; or, meaning, 4 smoked and one last good attempt !!! :cool:

I hope the board is strong and still in good shape.

Best,

nAr

Well, I finally have a completely quiet Pearl 2, based on 6L6's advice. My config is what he recommended:

• Earth only connected to the PS chassis
  • Output jack grounds connected to the PCBs (I had connected them to a star ground instead)
  • PCB starground and turntable ground to Pearl 2 chassis (I didn't know the PCB starground existed)
  • v+, v-, vground floating
  • Shielded turntable interconnect cable from the input jacks to the PCBs

Mark

Nice setup. I'm gald it helped. Then, PSU chassis to Earth, exact; and what about Pearl enclosure potential ? Did you keep it floating, with no extra reference ?

I'm just wondering as now I have a bit of hum in right channel, whilst UGS attenuator at max level (no attenation). Left ch. is still silent at this position.

That doesn't matter, as I will be soon making upgrade of the 78XX/79XX with an UGS style reg. This time, the Pearl II will become a dual mono config, even for the PSU. I will be dealing with ground noises issues, but maybe in a different way.
Perhaps I will use star ground of PCB, ATM it's just soldered, but not linked to anything. I will maybe try to get each ch. Star PCB ground to chassis via a 10R/1W. Dunno :) That's where the fun is ;) :joker:

Turntable ground will need not one channel gorund reference. So, to be equal against each channel, maybe TT GND will be directly to earth, the PSU GNDs are each channel refd to Earth via 10R/1W.

Oh well :rolleyes: :D

Best,

nAr

Nice setup. I'm gald it helped. Then, PSU chassis to Earth, exact; and what about Pearl enclosure potential ? Did you keep it floating, with no extra reference ?

I'm just wondering as now I have a bit of hum in right channel, whilst UGS attenuator at max level (no attenation). Left ch. is still silent at this position.

That doesn't matter, as I will be soon making upgrade of the 78XX/79XX with an UGS style reg. This time, the Pearl II will become a dual mono config, even for the PSU. I will be dealing with ground noises issues, but maybe in a different way.
Perhaps I will use star ground of PCB, ATM it's just soldered, but not linked to anything. I will maybe try to get each ch. Star PCB ground to chassis via a 10R/1W. Dunno :) That's where the fun is ;) :joker:

Turntable ground will need not one channel gorund reference. So, to be equal against each channel, maybe TT GND will be directly to earth, the PSU GNDs are each channel refd to Earth via 10R/1W.

Oh well :rolleyes: :D

Best,

nAr

Yes the Pearl enclosure is floating. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

Hope the bits from France will help you finish & enjoy that wonderful phono stage :)
And use good soldering tip, nice solder, perfect joints. It will help.

You have 5 tries for the ZVP; or, meaning, 4 smoked and one last good attempt !!! :cool:

I hope the board is strong and still in good shape.

Best,

nAr

Yeah,

the board is my worry too . I dropped the temp to 335 C and things look much better - still not perfect though . I count to 5 then add solder .Everything on the output stage is new and tested . I checked continuity after soldering each component . I have finished for the day now,but will test and add the actives tomorrow .

I'm really nervous !

Rich

Yeah,

the board is my worry too . I dropped the temp to 335 C and things look much better - still not perfect though . I count to 5 then add solder .Everything on the output stage is new and tested . I checked continuity after soldering each component . I have finished for the day now,but will test and add the actives tomorrow .

I'm really nervous !

Rich

Today is the day .... I've done it . Set P1 +/- 50 mV . All voltages are spot on . I have 2 meters so I thought I would measure both boards while in use .

I'm sure there will be a few ?'s ,but I'll wait for the US celebratory fog to clear... :D