• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope, sorry no photo's. My girlfriend won't let me use her dig cammera... they are in a old showbox .. 'vanBommel' full brooks .. i didn't have anything else .. .. ... but I did finish my Pearl with your boards and components. They sound wonderfull.. really nice wide and defined spatiality... lovely to listen to... thanks!

promitheus,

Hey what parts are you using for the new psu board and could you post the layout possibly? It's simple enough that I might just build them myself if thats ok? I'm almost done with my Pearl.. it's some wonderfully nice parts and very nice boards thanks for all the hard work.

Naz

I just got the new PSU boards for the Pearl.
A discrete rectifier bridge can be used with caps across the diodes and an MKP MCap Mundorf on the output.
In the picture you can see the Board with the big Panasonic snap in on it.

Attachments

• pearlpsu.jpg
    pearlpsu.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,047
promitheus,

I have it mostly finished. I'm still trying to get the chassis all done, it's going in a case with a balanced zen line stage that I had previously built. Mostly I need to bug my friend about getting around to machining my knobs and connecting shafts for me. :)

Naz

MC cartridge+pearl: additional input or output stage?

I have an MC cartridge (Shelter 901, 0.5 mV). The phonostage I'm currently using has a gain of 62 dB.

After searching other threads, I saw several recomendations for adding an additional stage before the input, just replicating the first gain stage (4 jfets in parallel and a cascode transistor). But after reviewing the THD curves, I came to the conclusion that in order to have a gain of about 62 dB, I was getting a distortion bigger than 1%.

What I am finally planning to do is to add an additional stage but at the output instead of at the input so I stay in the optimal range of the Pearl phono stage according to Wayne's article. The circuit I plan to add is basically an Aleph P1.7 which has enough gain, can handle bigger signals and can easily generate a balanced output. If I use 1K for R19 then I have a gain of 48 dB for the
Pearl and then I only need a gain of 15dB for the P1.7.

I am quite ignorant so I would like to know if my reasonment is correct.

Do you guys think I will get better performance adding the additional stage at the output instead of adding it at the input?

Xavier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.