Pearl Acoustic Sibelius

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Screen shot 2023-10-11 at 5.23.14 PM.png

dave

I’ve not been paying much attention recently but stumbled on this thread. To address the original post, these were quite popular in the past, particularly amongst diyers in New Zealand. I sold a fair number of pairs, even right up to 2016. Judging by the price of the Sibelius I’ve just seen, these presented a bit of a bargain ready made at £750. I’m not sure I could make them for that right now though, based on the price of Baltic Birch.

https://vitalstates.org/vsl/vofo/

vofo reduced.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve not been paying much attention recently but stumbled on this thread. To address the original post, these were quite popular in the past, particularly amongst diyers in New Zealand. I sold a fair number of pairs, even right up to 2016. Judging by the price of the Sibelius I’ve just seen, these presented a bit of a bargain ready made at £750. I’m not sure I could make them for that right now though, based on the price of Baltic Birch.

https://vitalstates.org/vsl/vofo/

View attachment 1222857
Nice work on the boxes, I like the way you addressed the edges, walnut? What's the finish?
thanks,
Rob

Not AFAIK, although realistically the only conclusion you could really draw is that they're not the same (different loads, with different design goals and different drive units that have different responses). Some might prefer one or the other, but they exist in completely different segments of the audio market too, each of which have different requirementments.

@Scottmoose
Hmmm... well the essential premise of this thread is that if you liked the Sibelius (or the idea of it in any event) but couldn't afford it or get it then you could get significantly close (or do better) through pursuing the diy efforts -- yours particularly -- that informed the Sibelius and using drivers from the same family. How different can the design goals be?
So if not the Pensil -- which (mostly?) shares a basic outer appearance with the Sibelius -- perhaps the Festival (or a folded version) gets one most of the way there.
Or maybe in constructing the Pensil (or Festival or Metronome.. ) the diy-er can do what he/she often wants out of this hobby... to do better than the commercial chappies because the commercial considerations don't apply.