Pearl Acoustic Sibelius

Nice to hear these again today. My memory of them was pretty good, and I’m a big Mark Audio fan so know these (10.3 I know these are not the same but they sure are similar) drivers really well.

They do what all good full range do, really musical, tonally accurate at low to medium volumes, fast transients, and these have great bass. There is a warm and heft to it, that the smaller drivers can lack.

I do find the 10’s to be a touch shrill, but found these more pleasant than my sealed cabs.

I still think the A7 pensil edges them on transient speed and clarity. If you do loose a few db of lower registry.

The oak cabinets do look nice, and the new amp sounded good, nothing much to compare it too. It was a good sounding room.

I took a few videos too. Not sure if they will do it justice. Can’t seem to post them from my phone.

The Lyngdorfs on the other hand exceptional…3 times the price though. I’m definitely buying some Purifi drivers as soon as I can afford it. I would love to try and cross to an MAOP5 or 7…

IMG_2590.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2588.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Hondasnl,

By making the opening of the enclosure duct-shaped, the frequency range below 300Hz can become flatter or the lower limit can be extended. Please give it a try once.

View attachment 1276068

Dear nandappe,
what an admirable gift to the DIY audio community has received from you from the beautiful Hitachinaka and Christmas is still so far away! Something good can then be even better and then with such well-founded approving comments! All respect and many love thanks for this gift. Regards Stefan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dear nandappe,
what an admirable gift to the DIY audio community has received from you from the beautiful Hitachinaka and Christmas is still so far away! Something good can then be even better and then with such well-founded approving comments! All respect and many love thanks for this gift. Regards Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Hitachinaka's National Park is especially famous for its Nemophila in spring and Bassia scoparia(kochia) in fall.
Chimonanthus praecox are beautiful during the Christmas season.
Primulas bloom in my garden from January to April.
Both music and flowers soothe the soul.

Attachments

• Primula sieboldii.jpg
    Primula sieboldii.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Chimonanthus praecox.jpg
    Chimonanthus praecox.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 30
  • Bassia scoparia.jpg
    Bassia scoparia.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Nemophila.jpg
    Nemophila.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 5 users
Nice to hear these again today. My memory of them was pretty good, and I’m a big Mark Audio fan so know these (10.3 I know these are not the same but they sure are similar) drivers really well.

They do what all good full range do, really musical, tonally accurate at low to medium volumes, fast transients, and these have great bass. There is a warm and heft to it, that the smaller drivers can lack.

I do find the 10’s to be a touch shrill, but found these more pleasant than my sealed cabs.

I still think the A7 pensil edges them on transient speed and clarity. If you do loose a few db of lower registry.

The oak cabinets do look nice, and the new amp sounded good, nothing much to compare it too. It was a good sounding room.

I took a few videos too. Not sure if they will do it justice. Can’t seem to post them from my phone.

The Lyngdorfs on the other hand exceptional…3 times the price though. I’m definitely buying some Purifi drivers as soon as I can afford it. I would love to try and cross to an MAOP5 or 7…

View attachment 1277218 View attachment 1277221 View attachment 1277223

View attachment 1277216
Very nice no nonsense speakers!

Hey Hondasnl,

I am in the process of using your design. Since I can't find 32mm of anything, I opted to go with 30mm plywood which I guess would be close enough.

Is there a reason not to cover the whole inner surface with felt textile?

Also in your new design you have a 22mm MDF in the middle in contrast to the 32mm of the previous one. Is there a reason other than not finding the proper width?

Thanks!

Again a small modification.
I'll use sandwich panel consist of 18mm solid oak wood and 14mm plywood all properly glued together.
Because 32mm solid oak wood is hard to find.
Sandwich panels are very good to use, very strong and dimensionally stable.
Also a nice effect the plywood in combination with the solid oak panels.

View attachment 1276267

So I went on with my Sibelius clones, they played for now over 80h and I can't perceive any minor changes in sound.

To me I truely like how they sound, I mostly hear like modern classic, experimental etc. kinda music and its a pure plessure.

It also goes on with finishing the cabinets to get a better look.

Some later this week I will try @nandappe s tip with the plate at the and of the port, I m interested in how far there will be a difference.
Also I plan to sketch and build some speaker stands for them also if i like @Hondasnl s design a lot !

Attachments

• IMG_5877.jpeg
    IMG_5877.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 517E10B5-BA69-494A-AC18-8BF8A4248CE7.jpeg
    517E10B5-BA69-494A-AC18-8BF8A4248CE7.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
This Veneer is of an brand called SaRaiFo (Safe the Rainforest). It s made of different quick growing trees, in this case poplar, linden and ayous. They take slats of these glue and press them into big blocks to cut it down to these veneers after.
I just can recomend to take a look there, they got some great veneer styles for a resonable price.

This one is is a birds eye cherrywood style veneer

Reactions: 1 users
So I went on with my Sibelius clones, they played for now over 80h and I can't perceive any minor changes in sound.

To me I truely like how they sound, I mostly hear like modern classic, experimental etc. kinda music and its a pure plessure.

It also goes on with finishing the cabinets to get a better look.

Some later this week I will try @nandappe s tip with the plate at the and of the port, I m interested in how far there will be a difference.
Also I plan to sketch and build some speaker stands for them also if i like @Hondasnl s design a lot !
Very nice results!!

Hey Hondasnl,

I am in the process of using your design. Since I can't find 32mm of anything, I opted to go with 30mm plywood which I guess would be close enough.

Is there a reason not to cover the whole inner surface with felt textile?

Also in your new design you have a 22mm MDF in the middle in contrast to the 32mm of the previous one. Is there a reason other than not finding the proper width?

Thanks!
Hello dear Kotlos,

the thickness of the "channel board" is in itself for the acoustic by means of the "channel board" only the length of the folded Voigt Pipe (TQWT) is formed - only the sound/air flow is conducted. The thickness is ultimately only relevant for gluing/screwing or for supporting the side walls. Thicknesses from 12 mm - 32 mm are possible, whereby 32 mm is not a real advantage.

Regards Stefan

Thanks @fullrangepointsource !

this will be my first speaker so I am trying to understand what are the important aspects of the design..

I used the online calculator to find the most close distances of the design by @Hondasnl but not all parameters are specified so I wasn't sure if they matter. Also in the online calculator the channel board is inverted relative to the bottom opening (?) so I guess only the angle is important? How about Lv? Does the 1cm that @Hondasnl has calculated implement the same functionality?

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.36.30 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @fullrangepointsource !

this will be my first speaker so I am trying to understand what are the important aspects of the design..

I used the online calculator to find the most close distances of the design by @Hondasnl but not all parameters are specified so I wasn't sure if they matter. Also in the online calculator the channel board is inverted relative to the bottom opening (?) so I guess only the angle is important? How about Lv? Does the 1cm that @Hondasnl has calculated implement the same functionality?

View attachment 1278335
Hi Kotlos, the 10mm (1cm) I geuss from the photo.

Attachments

• Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
Thanks @planet10 & @Hondasnl

@Hondasnl Yes, I saw in this thread your picture, but when I tried to design it in Blender again (to account for the 30mm width wood) using 10mm in the opening with different sized wood ends up in different angles of the channel board. Do you think the 10mm is more important than the angle, or are these differences so small that it won't affect the response much?

@kotolos, I probably won't use a 30mm piece at the inside, because the chamber isn t that big already and this would take a lot of space for e.g. damping, but also for creating the lower frequencies sound. And as hondasnl said, these are more or less sibelius clones, where in the originals is also just used a 15-20mm piece.

Attachments

• IMG_4381.png
    IMG_4381.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Bild 2.jpeg
    Bild 2.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 81
I still don't quite understand how the cabinets remain stable, there is so much power in that wood to move, and with compound mitres it's going to move in different directions. But I heard Harley himself say they (that after many failures in the past/development stage) that they are now rock solid and don't change dimensions/split, maybe the brace restricts movement?