PCBway Ordering Experiences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How long does the review process take? I can't pay for my order yet as it's "under review" ?

update: never mind... it's currently 5am in China at the moment.

Usually I give them 24 hours. And yeah don't forget about the time difference! From here they are 16 hours ahead of me... I like to think about it as time of day = 8 hours ago, day = tomorrow.

I think the biggest challenge is the obvious language barrier. It is difficult communicating, when the responses in obviously broken English make it at leaat doubtful that all issues have been conveyed. But lets face it... the bottom line is the money, and the quality. Those collectively make it worth it. When i consider that for years I've been paying up to 4X these prices for a US based company, which actually just did all this interfacing with Taiwan for me, I'm ready to take the next step and glad I did. I guess this is a testament to the technology and science. Modern Gerber and drill files accurately convey what we want, beyond the limitations of human language.

PCBWay website has been down since this morning...
But when their website works, it's very nice user interface. But seems very unreliable.

I gave iTeadmall a shot, and have been very happy with their quality. I paid $55 incl. shipping for (5) big boards (larger than 10cm x 10cm). http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/264512-my-power-supply-build.html

My order to PCBway cost me $59 (incl shipping). Also for 5 boards. Haven't received my boards yet so it will be interesting to do a quality comparison iTead vs. PCBWay.

One question I'm waiting for from PCBway, is whether you can get a break on the shipping by combining multiple orders. Next, I have a 4 layer board that's about 125 mm x 75mm, so that doesn't qualify for their super rates anymore. The difference is so drastic, I'm almost considering splitting the circuit into a 100mm board connected by a header or something. Maybe I'll give this "iTeadmall" a try for that one.

I have always used Advanced Circuits (4PCB.Com Monthly Ordering Specials and Discounts.). They are in Aurora, CO. If you watch their monthly specials they are not too much more expensive than China. All of the group buy PCB's I handled for the KSA-50 and KSA-100 group buys were made at Advanced Circuits. Why build your time consuming projects with junk from China? You get what you pay for no matter how "good" it may look!

Mark

Joined 2011
It certainly was in my case as that's where the boards arrived from! It wasn't just a proto,run of boards either. It was a production run of them? Hundreds! Send the money to Canada and get the boards from China. Now if you've actually been in their board shop and seen it then fine. Perhaps they finally made enough $$$$ selling Chinese boards to get their own equipment.

Are you thinking of Gold Phoenix? This is how they work. I've also had good experience with them.

Last edited:
No, this is the place I used... I'ts been a long time too but they are just a middle man for the Chinese. If you are fine with Chinese then go for it. I for one am not and enough work has left and gone over there already. Anyway, we thought we were getting PCB's made by a canadian firm and that was not the case nor do they mention anything about it on the web site. Some what deceptive...

PCB Prototype and PCB Fabrication

I found them by searching here: EverythingPCB, The Printed Circuit Industries Service, Product and Resource Guide

Mark

Last edited:
I'm about to try using PCBway for the first time as I've finished making my first ever PCB using ZenitPCB software.

The thing that worries me (from a novice) perspective is that it's not clear what files they want. I can output my gerber files: silkscreen top and bottom, copper layer top and bottom, soldermask top and bottom as well as a drill file. Is that it?

Their website doesn't really detail how to call the files, what different extension is required, etc. Do you just give them logical, sensible names and hope they figure it out?

Joined 2011
I'm about to try using PCBway for the first time as I've finished making my first ever PCB using ZenitPCB software.
The thing that worries me (from a novice) perspective is that it's not clear what files they want. I can output my gerber files: silkscreen top and bottom, copper layer top and bottom, soldermask top and bottom as well as a drill file. Do you just give them logical, sensible names and hope they figure it out?

It's best to send along a text file listing: what each layer is for by name, quantity and size of pcb, whether inner layers are positive or negative.
Don't leave anything to chance. Good luck, but most first pcbs do have mistakes that require workarounds. One common thing is holes too small
for the leads, or a mirror-imaged footprint. Remember that square leads, like on some connectors, require 1.414 x post width for the mounting
hole diameter, plus the clearance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.