• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PCB for cascoded IXYS CCS (tube)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to luvdunhill

input to output voltage diff is typically in the 200V ballpark as a maximum and only a couple points in the PCB (~1mm distance) might experience that difference while difference to GND (connection to GND is optional anyway through the upper-left mounting hole) can be as high as 4-500V typically. all that said, I have other preamp boards I packed as the one of the GB and running at 500V with no issues since ages.

suggestion to use IXTP01N100D is mainly because that FET proved to be much more reliable and sturdy to startup spikes (in my experience) than the DN2540. usual disclaimers while working with tubes and high voltages apply.

to gmant123

I have a spice model running ... I'll try to post a few simulation if I find a few spare minutes

to luvdunhill

input to output voltage diff is typically in the 200V ballpark as a maximum and only a couple points in the PCB (~1mm distance) might experience that difference

Wouldn't the input and output pads of the top FET (which I assume are less than 1mm apart) experience this voltage differential?

I think using the ground connection is probably bad idea, the distances are very small there.

Even 1mm clearance, assuming the PCB has a solder resist coating, gives a maximum of AC + DC voltage of 327 V according to specifications I see, and if one is in a relatively humid environment, that number drops further.

Just be careful.

Last edited:
I mailed the very last envelopes this morning. Here it is the balance with all the payment received so far ... I'll wait more days to collect all the remaining money before donating.

A few more hints on the boards.
I usually set before the current of the CCS using a 9V or 12V battery and that is strongly suggested. In case you will be using the VCCS (install Q102* and Q202* and other optional parts, install >0.1uF hi voltage rated caps at the bypass jumpers) you'd better set the CCS current as before and then install Q102* and Q202* and adjust the gate voltage at the lower FETs (Q101 and Q201) which sets the output voltage.

Attachments

• PCB_BALANCE_08_08.JPG
    PCB_BALANCE_08_08.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 237
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.