Pavel Dudek's (Upupa Epops) LM4780 amp

Pavel, I must say that I'm kind of surprised. 2000 people have downloaded your schematics and layout now. Impressive! :up:

Lot's of the downloads are of course "noise" but I think there is a sincere interest in your design. Mr Daniel's and Mr. Bells' concept is one flavor and yours is an another. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Has anyone else beside Pavel built an amp based on Pavel's design?
Eventually has anyone compared this design to the brian/peter's design(only sound quality the other stuff out of comparison please)? If so, could you share with us how you find it?
I am really looking forward to hear more about this. Also a group buy if enough people are interested would be a great idea.
I don't think either one is better until someone does a good and fair comparison and even then, some might like one version and some others the other one. Beside it is stupid fighting :/

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
roibm said:
Has anyone else beside Pavel built an amp based on Pavel's design?
Eventually has anyone compared this design to the brian/peter's design(only sound quality the other stuff out of comparison please)? If so, could you share with us how you find it?
I am really looking forward to hear more about this. Also a group buy if enough people are interested would be a great idea.
I don't think either one is better until someone does a good and fair comparison and even then, some might like one version and some others the other one. Beside it is stupid fighting :/

I haven't even gotten the boards made yet for Peter's/Mine pcb layout, so I doubt anyone has compared the two designs.

--
Brian

This is a brand new PCB design that Pavel has made. We were listenning to it for the first time here as Pavel described several days ago. I was quite surprised by the sound quality of Pavel's module. For the chipamp it is fanatastic and can beat many of the discrete amps. But a few of the very good discrete amps are still better.

Chipamps have their limitations that cannot be neglected. But they can be recommended as quite a simple way to good result, if done properly.

Attachments

• bok_.jpeg
    bok_.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,536
The schematic doesn't include the values of most of the parts so not much coments do do...
But from what I see, many things could be removed, some things could be included and some things could be made in a different way for a much better sound.:D
Ooopps...
Sorry, seams that I'm alone here...
Everyone agrees this is a very good PCB and a very good amp, right?:confused:

PMA said:
Carlos, could you speak in more concrete terms? I would substitute Pavel here.
From my point of view, it was very wise that he included input opamps into the design.

Of course it was!
I use them too.:cool:
Much better with them than without them.
Without knowing many of the components' values (including PSU caps), allow me to make some suggestions based on my experience with GCs (yes, I tested all that you can think about, except valve buffers).

- Input op-amps yes yes yes! OPA627 (non-inverting).
- LM4780 - yes, very good, but I would use it as inverting, it's the best combination: NInv. input buffer + Inv. amp.
- Change that dreadful zobel by two paralleled 0.47 ohm/3watt resistors in series with the output, much better.
And... last but not least:
- Change the PSU caps on the LM4780 for 33~100uf and regulate the PSU with LM338.
tbla reports very good results too with LT1083.
BTW, trafo with independent secondaries and two bridges.
:D

PMA said:
But I would have one comment. You MUST keep signal polarity of the amp as a whole. It makes difference if you invert it. At least loudspeaker wires should be turned when using non-inverting OA + inverting LM.

Of course.
Forgot to say.
I invert the wires inside the amp.:D
+ speaker terminals connected to ground and - speaker terminals to output.