• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pavel Dudek's super Gainclone group buy

Colour of the pcb

• Black

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • White

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Red

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Blue

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Green

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters
If you are using a bulb tester, the output protection circuit will not work consistently. If all your voltages check out, but the protection circuit is still wacky, plug it in without the bulb tester. Instant joy!

You're absolutely correct.

Smaller receivers or amplifiers will sometimes power up with a 60 watt series bulb. Some units require a 200 watt series bulb (biggest I ever needed to use) to power up without activating the protection circuit.

I even listen with the series bulb. You can see the bulb getting brighter as you turn it up and then the protection circuitry will kick in. Once it passes all those tests, I feel confident to power up without the series bulb.

Woohoo! The first order has arrived. 31 calendar days. Canada Post is incompetent, but I got 'em. Thanks P-A. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8593.jpg
    IMG_8593.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 383
Just a quick thanks P-A. I have finally completed the build and am test listening to the amp now...it's awesome! Just have to get a case sorted along with the final touches (which may include a new heatsink as I am using a modified and recycled one for now). Can't believe how good it sounds. And as my first foray into amplifier building it's been great fun and great learning. Photos to follow when I finally get it done. Have to warn you it rtook me 6 months to put it together...life is so busy!!!

Hi P-A,

I just put myself down for another 2 boards. The totals on the group buy list don't add up so I just updated the figure for the number of boards left from 3 to 1.

Can you please take a look and hopefully I won't be disappointed and there will be one more lucky buyer :)

Thanks

Asking the experts: Suitable Toroidal Transformer for PA03

I am ordering the parts for my PA03 build. Based on the BOM I have found the components required.

But, for the toroidal transformer I am in doubt.

Based on the information on P-A's site I have selected Amplimo 68027 (http://www.amplimo.nl/images/downloads/ds%20standardrange/68027.pdf)

However, electronics are absolutely not my field of expertise; I am but a simple bookkeeper.

Could I ask the experts to comment if I understood the instructions correctly, and if my choice will be suitable?

Suggestions for better / cheaper alternatives (available from Europe (shipping / import duties)) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Laurens

Not an expert by any stretch
but Epop's build guide states that transformer can be from 15-24v - so you are good there
Remember that a rule of thumb is that the rectified DC voltage (Rail voltage will be approx 1.4 X secondary AC voltage so you should expect 28Vdc rail voltage -- fine)
The Power rating of 225VA is a measure of the 'Oomph'you can expect your transformer to give ie 5.6 Amps - enough for the PA03.
As a bit of (essential) light reading, have a look at what Rod Elliot says about power supplies
Power Supply Wiring Guidelines

His Whole website is a mine of information for us beginners
Steve