Pass SLOB Build Discussion

Yes, those are the plans I used.

I don't know the Cube audio driver. I used an old Fostex FE206En at first and changed to a Lii Audio Fast 8. I'm very happy with the Fast 8.

Lii Audio Fast 8 Is supposed to be very good. Did you you use the eminence delta as well?

I am just unsure as to how these compare with the full bodied sound of the LX521 which uses vastly more expensive seas drivers. I’m not sure if these single driver designs will sound too clinical (chi-fi) / lack dynamics? Cube audio is supposed to be a step ahead, that’s why I ask.

No, my woofers are Hawthorne Audio Augie 15's.

I bought both the Augie's and Fostex FR as NOS from members here, projects that never came about, I think. I didn't know how the speakers were going to turn out and I didn't want to spend too much on the components.

Papa's design turned out much better than I expected. At first, I used an old op-amp based crossover. When I changed to the ACN LX Mini crossover I noticed a large change, same again when I switched to the Fast 8. If I had to buy new woofers, I'd buy the Lii Audio 15s.

I liked these speakers so much I sold the pair of upgraded Zu Audio Druids, that were my normal listen. These are more lively and produce much more bass.

No, my woofers are Hawthorne Audio Augie 15's.

I bought both the Augie's and Fostex FR as NOS from members here, projects that never came about, I think. I didn't know how the speakers were going to turn out and I didn't want to spend too much on the components.

Papa's design turned out much better than I expected. At first, I used an old op-amp based crossover. When I changed to the ACN LX Mini crossover I noticed a large change, same again when I switched to the Fast 8. If I had to buy new woofers, I'd buy the Lii Audio 15s.

I liked these speakers so much I sold the pair of upgraded Zu Audio Druids, that were my normal listen. These are more lively and produce much more bass.

How did you modify the ACN for SLOB?

"The Cube Audio system I heard was decent, as far as single driver systems go, but it was a bit peaky and lacked bass. The ideal listening window is quite narrow with this speaker, but, that is also the case with most full-range drivers."
High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Narrow listening window puts me off. I'll wait till I hear the voxativ before making judgement - perhaps I'll consider slot loaded woofer + 2 way open baffle in the same design format.

Rise... RISE, from slumber, ye thread! :p

I too am wanting to try a higher WAF build like the SLOBs detailed in this thread. Have OB FRs over 18" H-Frames, per MJK now.

I read every post in this thread and was hoping it might have some sort of a conclusion... I like the principal of running two 15" drivers (one slot loaded, one front mounted) to possibly get away with not needing bass boost/EQ. Is this the ideal build or is the single 15" in a slot the way to go? Limited on budget but have some FRs I can recycle and kind of wanting to try the Lii Fast8 anyway.

And how do these parameters look?

Nominal Diameter15"
Power Handling (RMS)350 Watts
Power Handling (max)700 Watts
Impedance (Z)8 Ohms
Sensitivity93dB 2.83V/1m
Frequency Response30 to 6,000Hz
Voice Coil Diameter3"
DC Resistance (Re)7.4Ω
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)2.1mH
Resonant Frequency (Fs)28Hz
Mechanical Q (Qms)11.7
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.43
Total Q (Qts)0.41
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)137g
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.24mm/N
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)829.6cm²
BL Product (BL)20.2T·m
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)8.55ft³
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)7.8mm

Last edited:
ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The beginning of a SLOB2…..got that angle down.
Fun project. Looking forward to results.

Attachments

• BFF828AE-4DDF-493E-B096-22B101AD340C.jpeg
    BFF828AE-4DDF-493E-B096-22B101AD340C.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: 2 users
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AE94632E-70FD-4AD3-8E62-49528A83E884.jpeg

So I finally finished my SLOBs thanks to SPEAKER Camp! Clearly a work in progress, the cables and components will go onto shelves I’m having made for the niches. I have conduit in the floor so the speaker cable will be hidden also.

D2DCEC5F-CBF5-49D9-B0DB-1A15F56EFE93.jpeg
From the Kitchen

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
4 channels of ACA, N P told me how to mod the crossover for the drivers which are the awesome SAL ones we sold for awhile in the store. Woofer is Hawthorne Audio Augie 15” (made by Eminence) Both driver companies are out of business.

It’s a pretty large room, 9x10M, and the second photo show the way it connects with the kitchen. It’s a bit live, with rather a lot of hard surfaces.The OB radiation pattern helps a lot, as the tall ceiling is also reverberant. They sound spectacular, mostly because they aren’t close to any walls. The high’s and low’s are not super extended, no silbilence in the highs, no boom in the Bass…But the SAL tone just takes your breath away for the beauty of the notes!

Finally, a system that could still be tuned a bit (I have the PASS VFET amp kits to build) but I love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice work Mark! I can't wait to see the finished product when you tuck everything neatly into your soon to be built shelves.
That’s what my wife said!
When we bought the house and I started on the remodel drawings, I mentioned that there would be speakers in the living area and she said “Well, I figured that’s always the deal with you”. One of those good women! That inspired me to have the tubes in the floor to hide speaker cables…um, real soon now!

Mark

Last edited:
4 channels of ACA, N P told me how to mod the crossover for the drivers which are the awesome SAL ones we sold for awhile in the store. Woofer is Hawthorne Audio Augie 15” (made by Eminence) Both driver companies are out of business.

It’s a pretty large room, 9x10M, and the second photo show the way it connects with the kitchen. It’s a bit live, with rather a lot of hard surfaces.The OB radiation pattern helps a lot, as the tall ceiling is also reverberant. They sound spectacular, mostly because they aren’t close to any walls. The high’s and low’s are not super extended, but no silbilence in the highs, no boom in the Bass…But the SAL tone just takes your breath away for the beauty of the notes!

Finally, a system that could still be tuned a bit (I have the PASS VFET amp kits to build) but I love it!
Is it possible to sticky this thread and change title to Pass SLOB builders or similar? It would probably be useful for future builders... 🍻

Reactions: 1 users