Pass Amps- JUst insensitive or is something wrong with my ideas and builds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm in a small room so even lower efficiency speakers (90dB) have worked fine for me. For a few months, I was using an F6 driven
directly from an Oppo player (2.1V RMS max output) and trimming the volume using the player's digital control. I did not find the
volume lacking across the materials I played even though I could get at most 14W or so vs the F6's max 25W.

Recently I tried a 10dB gain preamp with an F4. Now the power is limited to less than 6W and volume was a bit low on some materials.
So for me it seems 14dB of gain is adequate but 10dB is not quite enough.

Cheers,
Dennis

Yes, I have a pair of 91 db speaker's in one room and they reach plenty high levels, and in an even smaller room, a set of 86 db speakers hooked up to my vinyl system, but the pearl2 has plenty of gain, and I am using a BA3 preamp, which is the other recommendation I give people seeking more gain. Those drive a M2 amp.

But in the living room, with B1 (no gain) pre and either F5, F6 or M2 I needed more gain even with 90 db speaks, so I put the BA3 amp in there, more "normal" gain. Building another BA3 pre amp gave all the gain and more anyone woulx need. The 98 db efficient Tekton Enzo speakers and the F6 with B1 is plenty of volume, I just like the sound of the BA3 pre much better, so use it.

Russellc

@ Victoriaguy

You don't need a preamp only with an integrated amplifier.
Those are simply power amplifiers.
This means you have to add a volume control and some gain, or a preamp.

Gainclones have about a 30dB gain.
That's a lot of gain, but there are cases you need all that gain.

So, simply put, you want always from 26 to 30dB of gain in your chain.

F6 is 14dB, add 12dB and you are ok.

Forget about Vrms, ptop, p, impedance, etc.
You don't need them to listen to your music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.