• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parts from Salvage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Frank,
That's great - hope this gives people the ability to get into tubes at little or no cost - that's how it helped me - I had dipped into the tubes section of DIYA to peek at what was going on but was always put off by the cost of different PS & OPT Trafos, caps & tubes, so this route proved to be my painless intro & I'm glad I heard what tubes can sound like.

Keep us posted

John

I'm happy, had a good day, but a long day. The motto of the Freecycle group is to keep stuff out of the landfills. There are about 4000 members in Freecycle in the Asheville area, a lot of environmentalists & hippies here. I had to drive 35 miles each way and then I met the two young ladies, late 20's each had 2 kids, their dad passed away last year, and he lived in a rotting double wide next to a creek. They said they will burn it down soon. Me & them spent 3-4 hours digging through the mounds of stuff, and this guy was a real packrat, must have had 15 computers, mostly from the 80's and loads of software, hundreds of boxes & stuff. I only went for the radio stuff. When I got it all home, sorted through much of it and took a picture, here's what it looked like in my garage.

stuff.jpg

2 soldering irons, several microphones, incl one ham type, a good 150 tubes mostly new, including a few brand-new Mullard GZ-34's and RCA metal 6V6's. over a dozen transformers, some big power xfmrs and several filament xfmrs, a big pile of transistors (many IC's but I threw them out), all types of components, pilot lamps, switches, etc. The box of new tubes is at the top, above the tube tester, includes a lot of JAN's.
Also an HP 120AR (1960) oscilloscope, HP 3480A Digital voltmeter, a TV-10D/U Military tube tester based on Hickock (made by Western Reserve to Hickock specs?) which sells for $500-$700 on ebay if working, a Lafayette HA-460 6 meter tube transceiver, a Heathkit post-marker TV sweep generator, and Heathkit audio analyzer 1G-57A. Some DC microamp meters, about 3 somewhat rusted big boat anchor receivers for parts, but both a Hallicrafters boat anchor SX-101A ham receiver and a HT-32A trnasmitter that should be easily restorable (clean) if they don't already still work to some extent. Lots of wire, a brand-new "Baird Atomic" Abacus GM scaler (some type of geiger counter device (new in box with manual), one of these sold for $915 on ebay. A few "halogen leak detectors" misc meters (grid dip, field strength, etc.)
So it was definitely worth the trip. Wish I had more time off, as this is going to take a while to sort through and test.

Dunno, but I had a lot a Hallicrafters gear in the past which I let go. I was from NJ, born 1954 in Paterson, lived in Bergen county before leaving in 1974 and lived all over since (west coast CA-OR, Boston, upstate NY 14 yrs., & the south)
At one point I had my dad's Hallicrafters, plus a newer smaller one that one guy ripped off from me at the convenience store I worked at, the day I quit, before I got back to pick it up. I had the store wired for quadrophonic sound back when I was 16 in NJ (around 1970).
But besides this new stuff I got today, I'm also getting a supposedly working SR-150 Hallicrafters CW/SSB transceiver plus power supply as well, which I hope to get back on the air with

Joined 2002
Paid Member
WOW....
What an interesting thread....
Freestyle I think I need to look into..

YOU SCORED VERY WELL .... Frank754
The tubes along are worth your trip along with all the other
good stuff....That picture is very impressive.. Good Job

Jkeny...
Jackinnj power supply is an old HP or Harrison Lab
800 series power supply still very desireable...

Steve @ Apex Jr.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jkeny said:
Does anybody know a cheap/free source for litz wire? In other words, where is this wire used industrially?

Some CET monitors (IIRC some Apples for example) use litz wire in the focusing coils. Magnwt wire in the others (and even if you don't use it, it is worth cash at the metal recycle).

Also a good source for ay least 1 500 or 450 V cap, some 200.250s, poly caps, resistors, lots of little heatsinks, and aluminum (also a good ecycle metal -- pure Al is worth ~2x Al with steel bits (at least at Budget Steel where i take mine)

dave

Shoog said:
One of our local councillors complained that people were taking stuff out of local recycling centres. She didn't seem to understand what recycling is all about.
Anyway the upshot is that there is now an effective blanket ban on removing stuff.

:whazzat:

Shoog

Perhaps you should stand for council ??

Or write to every councillor, your MP (?), and the council recycling officer with the suggestion that they should take recycling seriously and allow removal of useful items and even go as far as to facilitate it by providing covered storage for such items. With copies to the local and national press!!!

Andy

Shoog,
That's absolutely ridiculous, she has no clue about recycling but I have come accross the same attitude in my local recycling centre - I wonder what is behind this attitude? What exactly happens to the electrical goods that are recycled?

I've identified an electrical recyling company in a previous post who sell stripped out electrical parts to the public (mostly computer parts) & to industry.

BTW, I found this site today, it sells some recycled parts from electrical equipment http://www.electronic-recycling.ie/

I presume that this company buys selected waste from the recycling centres. So maybe this financial transaction is behind the reluctance to allow the public to take away items from these centres? Follow the money - it's usually at the heart of a self serving attitude.

To decide who to complain to it's useful to know the background to the recycling process & what its lifecycle is.

Andy, good suggestion

John

Just before I left Aus last year I went through my father's old workshop and sold a lot of old bits and pieces to a scrap dealer. This really was old rubbish, I don't throw out much, as my wife will attest.

I can say there is a hell of a lot of money in it. Comparatively small amounts of copper and aluminium fetch very good money these days (trannies are worth quite a lot by weight), it's no wonder they don't want people walking away with the gear they have, it's money walking out the door.

Having said that, I don't agree with disallowing people to take what they want. If the idea is to use less resources then it is far better to re-use rather than recycle materials.

One other thing I have noticed about Ireland is that it seems to be essentially illegal to sell secondhand electrical items unless they have been tested. Given that your local Oxfam (and all the others) can't test them they refuse to accept donations of them. No wonder it all gets thrown out. In Aus electrics are simply sold with a disclaimer that it may eat your cat (etc) unless looked at by a tech, which seems to get round the law.

/rant

Sorry I should have made it a bit clearer.

As far as I am aware there is no restriction on an individual selling electrical gear.

The auction house I live near, however, requires a declaration from those putting forward goods for auction that they are in safe working order. That's fine for your old VCR, but it means old radios and old valve gear cannot be sold at auction, because it cannot be declared safe. It means you cannot sell grandad's collection of old radio bits at auction, simply because they need repair. I believe this is to comply with legislation, though what legislation I'm not sure.

I've not seen any charity shops in Ireland that accept electrical gear, most have a notice on the front door to say so. I assume it's for the same reason.

I'm open to corrections...

Hi Thevoice,
You're right about charity shops, etc not taking electrical goods - I always assumed it was because they weren't saleable items but you're probably correct.

BTW did you find any of the charity shops on Georges/Aungier St? Were they useful to you?

You will also find 2nd hand record (vinyl & CD) shop in George's Market called "spindizzy" I think.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread has both engendered some interest in recycling/reusing old parts & also providing some tips for where to find items of value to us in DIY audio.

John

thevoice said:
Sorry I should have made it a bit clearer.

As far as I am aware there is no restriction on an individual selling electrical gear.

The auction house I live near, however, requires a declaration from those putting forward goods for auction that they are in safe working order. That's fine for your old VCR, but it means old radios and old valve gear cannot be sold at auction, because it cannot be declared safe. It means you cannot sell grandad's collection of old radio bits at auction, simply because they need repair. I believe this is to comply with legislation, though what legislation I'm not sure.

I've not seen any charity shops in Ireland that accept electrical gear, most have a notice on the front door to say so. I assume it's for the same reason.

I'm open to corrections...

As far as I know, the situation is the same in the UK.
A lot of stuff sold at auction has the cable cut off short and a notice saying words to the effect "Unsafe - see a qualified electrician".

Andy

Just stumbled upon this thread - building a valve amp for my end of year project!
I've dealt with that company in dub before - bought a perfectly working (bits) of a 1GHz PC for €100! I think it's currently the staple of a friend's DJ rig! Now, to go trafo hunting... :) Galway has slim pickings tho

L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.