• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Paradise phono stage

Joined 2005
Paid Member
By the way - when matching with the circuit in the guide, i always see the voltage (mV) rising slowly while having the multimeter over the parallell 1K resistors, even and backs when removing the multimeter. i take it the value from the start is the value i want, and that the multimeter in some way makes the the voltage rise during measuring?

Yes, I noticed that too. This is due to the transistor heating up during the test. The safe way would be to wait until the value changes no more, and then take the reading, but that will take a while. (I did take the first stable readout, after a second or so, and match that way - I admit I am a little lazy.....)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thanks to all who commented about the issues i raised..

With all the changes additions and progress that went into, Which is the prefered supply configuration for it ?? "The holygrail"

Beny, I think that with the "standard" configuration (Paradise with Benedetto's prereg) you should be very happy. As mentioned by many here, the most important factors are the precise gain matching of the input stage transistors, input bias adjustment, and most precise matching of the RIAA components, all of this as identical as possible between the channels. NExt comes the chassis and cabling (mostly to avoid hum and noise issues), then the power supply and then you can think about boutique parts etc etc.

One modification I heart about but have not tried it yet, is to shorten one of the LEDs of each of the four shunt regulator LED strings, so that the supply voltage comes down to 16.2V. This allows you to use 24V batteries to supply the Paradise (24V is not sufficient otherwise, you need at least 26V). It is said that battery supply improves over the pre-reg, but that may also have to do with the (noise) quality of the grid voltage).

Yes, I bought the copper-teflon caps, and they do sound nice, nicer than what I had before (and I admit my ears may not be up to the task to hear the last, subtle, almost mythical differences), at an estimated 7500% higher price than Wima FKP2. Decide for yourself.....

What also makes a big difference who is in the room.

Last year @ Krefeld A³ Audio-Fair, i had the chance
to peep two guys (one of them a rather famous producer
of expensive valve equipment) who induced real different
hum to the setup by just standing behind it, complaining
if it could be a result of one of them beeing a vegetarian.
In fact he was humming louder. :cool:

The next group buy will take some time as the board will be redesigned to incorporate the Calvin buffer, probably early 2014. The group buy after that - 2015 - will include a volume control, the 2016 one will allow for a few line-level inputs.

Joachim will then have a thorough re-think and the 2017 group buy will be for a digital phono stage.

:D

I think for archiving it makes sense.
I designed a really nice MC stage and a separate MM stage, both balanced.
Then comes a Muses volume control and a fully differential input stage before the AD converter. That way we can optimize dynamic range. The AD/DA is an ESS chip.
It is now very easy to implement other EQs then RIAA.
If that sounds any better or even as good as a well designed analog solution i do not know but it is nice to have. When it is finished i consider a new thread how to build it and how it works. I have now tried virtually everything that can be done in analog and this is a new challenge.