Papa, Watt's next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Gracias

Srajan Ebaen said:
You're a prince, Vladimir.

srajan@6moons.com

If these are monster files, one per e-mail perhaps to prevent the server from throwing a fit. Otherwise, all in one would be swell -:)

I'm web-based so I end up with middling resolution again to not load down user servers. But if you send something, say 1500 to 2000 pixels across, that would be awesome.

Thank you very much.

What should the photo credit read besides "Vladimir, DIYAudio member since 2002"?

Pretty soon I will be asking for benefits and vacation time from 6moons. :) :) :) :D
You already have some on my work:
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dclass2/dragan.html
:)

Jill and Nelson, thanks so much for having us by - great foods and drinks and the sound... wow! :worship:

I have a few more photos I'll like to share.

AR2 said:
Finally the Visitors minus photographer behind the camera.

Here is one including the photographer. :D

Attachments

• img_0241.jpg
    img_0241.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,226
I really liked the setup Papa had for testing drivers in an open baffle. The drivers could be replaced easily by unscrewing them and inserting a new one.

For the filter he used an active crossover, F5 on the woofers and various amps for the full range drivers. As a good scientist he had a lab journal with optimal filter settings written down for each driver, so changing was performed quite swiftly.

Attachments

• img_0273.jpg
    img_0273.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,000
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bwahahahaha!

I had this posted in the Pass Pub, but moved it here as that's where the action is..

Last saturday, cviller, N-Brock, AR2 and Variac (that would be me) were honored to be invited to the Pass hideout up in the mountains of the California gold country.

That's pretty good for Christian (cviller) - he has been in San Francisco for barely a month and he is now having listening sessions at Papa's! Since he will be designing the circuit boards for the Burning Amp BA-2 he needed a reference for the BA chassis that were given out at the showso he could figure out how to fit the boards into it. As we left Nelson gave him one of the small BA chassis. I had to laugh- it was like visiting the bread factory in second grade and they give you a little loaf on your way out.... ;

We arrived about 11 and spent the day listening to about 5 different First Watt amps. Two were NEW & UNRELEASED but they were Very Very GOOD, and involving stuff that Nelson has hinted about around here. Then we got a tour of his "skunkworks" where he designs and builds the First Watt amps. There we spotted some more CRAZY stuff which were still in the experimental stages.

Here is a prediction: While First Watt has done very well it seems, including some unusual amps for specialized purpose, the new ones are gonna be VERY popular for a more general audiance , with emphasis on popular.

They were really sweet sounding. Plenty of resolution , but always
pleasant. Pleasant doesn't sound like a strong term, but it seems like all the detail is there, and great S/N as they are dead quiet, but also so agreeable..with great imaging.. We listened all day after the tour, and everything we put on the system (CD's and vinyl) that was good music, was good to listen to, even some stuff that wasn't really that well recorded.

I couldn't sit still when he put the "Disco Hits" album on!! hmmm.... maybe the wine was kicking in at that point..

The F5 held its own well with the other amps, and we also listened to the F-3. AR2, who is a tube midrange fan was really excited by the F3's. I suspect he will be making a pair really soon!

If he wants to say more about the new stuff, Nelson can post here.

So, what speakers were we listening to? This is Nelson's DIY side, and they we no disappointment either: Big open baffles that have a 15" bass driver, easily changeable baffle inserts for various "full range" drivers, and a variable active crossover. We heard some very pricey Lowthers which were very good, but the very pricier FEASTREX drivers kicked their butts IMHO. We listened for hours to the 8" feastrex and with the 6" (?) Feastrex. Disappointing only because, like single malt Scotch the expensive stuff was better!
One bright spot: The 8" drivers weren't necessarily better than the 6"..

Set up as Papa had them, with carefully studied crossovers, they are superb drivers. Unbelievable really, but credit has to go to the amps for the great tone too. As is usually the case with full rangers, the tone is consistant throughout the spectrum. All credit to Pass for how well the bass driver was integrated. The high end -especially wih the smaller Feastrex, absolutely doesn't require a tweeter. I'm no teenager though so my requirements may not be as strict as someone with younger ears. I heard no complaints though from Cristian or N-Brock who are young enough to hear everything.

Well Thank you Nelson for a memorable day, including a memorable dinner at a very nice local french restaurant. Most of all thank you for giving us an entire day of your time, with all the activity we saw, it is clear that free time isn't something you have a lot of..

Mark

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lest anyone get the impression that Feastrex is king over Lowthers,
I would add that in the four categories, 8"/5" and Lowther/Feastrex,
each has a lot to offer, and it's very much a horse race still.

After several months of playing with these, there are still anecdotal
experiences pointing to the superiority of each in some area. The
only generalization I would offer is that they are all great drivers,
and they all respond well to careful tweaking toward our individual
tastes.

If you ever considered any of these, I would say Go for it.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrismercurio said:
Would you be willing to compare/contrast the Seas Exotic to the Feastrex and Lowthers?

The SEAS is a different sort of beast. It has comparable sensitivity,
and slightly flatter response. My pair are 4 ohm pieces, but you
can get them in 8 ohm if you have amplifier issues.

If you want to say nice things about them compared to Lowthers and
Feastrex, you would say that they are more neutral. If you are being
unkind, you might say that they are less lively.

One thing is certain is that they have high excursion capacity and
would be the best candidates for full range in open baffles without
a woofer to help out.

I understand that SEAS is continuing to do development in this
category.

Here is a near field bass curve (good below 500 hz or so) in an OB

:cool:

Attachments

• seas exotic nf.gif
    seas exotic nf.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 856
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.