Papa! I want to have Zen V5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
>III<

Uhh . . . about 85% . . . ?

Attachments

• zv5-pic2.jpg
    zv5-pic2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 753
Joined 2006
Zen Mod said:
what's 85%

???

:confused:

These days, I can’t remember words very well . . .
I didn’t know or remember which word should come after the 85% . . .
More correctly, my knowledge about English words was no good and getting even worse . . .

I wanted to mention about the progress of the building . . .
Uhh . . . I could count the building time, for example
> Steel cutting … 25%
> Keel laying … 50%
> Launching … 75%
> Delivery … 100%
So, Launching already happened, and delivery time is coming . . .

I am pleased to hear that the sinks are looking good.
Actually, the front view is ugly . . .
The top view is so and so . . .
The bird’s-eye view is good . . .
The different views of the sinks are giving me a mixed feeling . . .

The music should be good . . .
I expect so . . .

Joined 2006
>>V<<

Here is the left channel . . .

Without power switch, plug-in, power-on . . . no pop noise at all.
J-low is dead quiet when no signal.

wOw wOw wOw . . . :bigeyes:

Very nice sound.
I am now listening to Al Jarreau . . .
Withour loosing details . . . relaxed . . .

Papa, thanks. :smash:
Now, I understand why you said that you could live with this couple of years . . .

Attachments

• zv5-pic4.jpg
    zv5-pic4.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 624
Babowana said:

Very nice sound.
I am now listening to Al Jarreau . . .
Withour loosing details . . . relaxed . . .

Papa, thanks. :smash:
Now, I understand why you said that you could live with this couple of years . . .

Passdy!

Yjou did good work, Babowana
( after correcting some bad connetion in shown layout )

this is one amp i seriously can consider building
as told before in this and other topics

Search this forum for: Zen v5
by author lineup

What's next, BABOWANA
... ZENY
... ZEN V5
... ???? :cool:

I must say you have a good taste for amplifiers
and your projects are always in interest of me, lineup
... keep up your good things, thank you ...
regards

Joined 2006
Zen Mod said:

lineup said:
your projects are always in interest of me, lineup

Thanks, Choky and Lineup.

Yeah, looking ugly, but inner spirit is pure and beautiful. Don't you think . . . ? ;) During the construction, I had few concerns. The original used IRFP9240/IRFP240. But, mine had to be with IRFP9240/IRFP250N. As you know, IRFP240 and IRFP250N have different transconductances . . . The original used two coils of 2mH. Comparably, mine had to be 0.92mH because I could get only this size . . . And, possibility of hum and noise . . . ?

I forgot installing power switch and the thermistor at the door of the transformer's primary side . . . As Choky says, often me Babo . . . :D

I am really impressed about quietness of the amp and the music reproduction quality. No amp is perfect. This amp might be the same. Nevertheless, the music through this amp comes to me very easily. I am living quite stressed life, and the music sound is, I’m sure, well qualified to save me . . .

Rolling Stones . . .
John Lennon, WONSAPONATIME . . .
Leonard Cohen . . .
Queen . . .
Mahler, Symphonie No.4 . . .
Beethoven, Symphonie No.6 . . .

The continuous music listening make me uneasy in packing of check-in luggage to the next morning flight. My home leave is for 3 weeks . . . Sorry to wife, however, I wish I could stay here and just continue listening more . . .

The attached picture shows where I stopped for some thinking during construction . . .
having my home leave holidays, I will study this circuit more . . . to understand the basic things better before I go for another project. Babaefish . . .? . . .? I don’t know yet.

Attachments

• zv5-pic5.jpg
    zv5-pic5.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 649
ingvar ahlberg said:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=46487

This is a set of questions directed to Nelson Pass and Gray Rollins:

Comparing the v5 to a Accuphase p300 (modernised modified raised bias etc)playing pretty loud,
about realistic level from a grand piano or small acoustic set,
the v5 sounds much more powerfull
than the much larger p300,
especialy the bottom seems very fast and powerfull,
the v5 naturally starts compressing and then audibly clipping way before the p300 when raising level towards rock´n roll.

So if i want to stay with excellent caracter of the v5 but need more power.
(the bridging tried and covered in another thread here, works but is a pain to adjust and to get staying reasonably close to no DC output).

How far could i raise the rail voltage and keep idle current, cooling no problem, around 2 amps or so,
whitout killing the output devices during dynamic conditions.

Having become adict to the fabulous bottom end of the RCF l12p48 units and also not ready for the negotiations of placing kleinhorns in the livingroom since we discarded the last set of Schmackshorns a few years ago.

As you see, here is another review of Zen v5, with an un-answered question still hanging in the air.

Well, sometimes we can not answer. Nobody can know for sure.
There are things our limited human minds do not know and can not find out.
Until we try those things in a practical application. ( empirical knowledge )

Often called testing ... a schematic, hypotes or an idea

jacco vermeulen said:

Hypothesis is a marvellous word to pronounce after a bottle of scotch at 3 o'clock in the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis
hypothes :bulb: ..... result maybe :Pinoc:
One definition of Hypothesis:
The statement from a causal explanation or a proposition
that has at least one independent and one dependant variable
but has yet to be tested
Babowana said:
I took this picture hours ago . . .
Rolling Stones . . .
John Lennon, WONSAPONATIME . . .
Leonard Cohen . . .
Queen . . .
Mahler, Symphonie No.4 . . .
Beethoven, Symphonie No.6 . . .
---------

I am a great John 'give peace a chance' Lennon fan.
My favourite LP Album is 'Bridges & Walls' - have to try to find me a CD version of that recording.
Queen I have quite a few original Vinyl LPs from.
Beginning with 'Sheer Heart Attack' ( Killer Queen, Bring Back That Leroy Brown )
and several of those 'A Day at The ...'
:)
Mahler ... havent discover him, yet

Joined 2006
jacco vermeulen said:
Aaah, X-rated movie.
Now i know why you need the big audio equipment.

As a young boy, I started my music listening from DIY earphone radio. Ahh . . . I remember many songs from AFKN (American Force Korean Network) radio programs. I enjoyed the musics many deep nights in bed. These days, I still like headphones in bed . . . and also when I have any chance to watch the X-rated movies and also when I play computer . . .

I also like compact audio system which is looking pretty and charm. But, for me, just looking pretty things are not all. No, no, I am not a girl. I am a man. I love the music in which richness and easy manner exist, and the music in which natural light of both brightness and darkness exist.

The size of speakers are big. But, it does not mean that I need big volume of sound. In almost all cases, I listen to the music at low volume, and at this volume I want to still get the rich, easy-mannered, bright and dark sound. I need big speakers for this . . . and I find that Zen V5 is really very good in this sense . . .

Few observations from my Zen V5:

• [>] Bias is only with 1.4A, but the sound is still good . . .
    I do not feel any measurement is intersting at the moment, but when I have time to do it, I will do it to write down the measured references on my notebook . . .

[>] Each heat sink size is 120mmx120mmx250mm. I can touch it long time. The transformer is getting just warm while the caps and coils are staying cold.

[>] Total big caps are of 6x33,000uF = 198,000uF per channel. So, even if I kill the power, I can still hear the sound quite long time. And, the blue LED light remains really long . . . I might need to consider adding bleeders to the caps. Where . . . ? Which position . . .?

Now, I am thinking how to finish the boxes . . .

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babowana said:

[>] Total big caps are of 6x33,000uF = 198,000uF per channel. So, even if I kill the power, I can still hear the sound quite long time. And, the blue LED light remains really long . . . I might need to consider adding bleeders to the caps. Where . . . ? Which position . . .?[/list]

you don't need them ,I mean -bleeders ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.