Output protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:
This is how it looks for point B on the urve, I'm sure you recognise it Mike. The odd thing that was not in your article IIRC is the part between zero and 9V Vce. That one took some time to figure out.

Jan Didden

I think you'll find that the low Vce part of the SOA curve is not an issue with reactive load-drive....

The key is using as much of the SOA at Vce>=Vcc as is safe...

You may of course wish to utilize more of the SOA in the Vce<<Vcc region in the interest of improving the amp's ability to drive purely resistive loads....

Whether this is worthwhile or even realistic is moot...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sam,

Good point. But an amp with a well-designed V/I limiter should be able to survive an event as you describe. In fact, it should be able to survive a continuous short, except for the thermal factor. Although the short-circuit dissipation should be within the device capacity, it does raise the heatsink temp until the point where the device still fails. So, for longer-time shorts etc maybe we should include a thermal breaker.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mikeks said:

I think you'll find that the low Vce part of the SOA curve is not an issue with reactive load-drive....

The key is using as much of the SOA at Vce>=Vcc as is safe...

You may of course wish to utilize more of the SOA in the Vce<<Vcc region in the interest of improving the amp's ability to drive purely resistive loads....

Whether this is worthwhile or even realistic is moot...

Hmm. Yes, I guess you're right. Well, I tried the best I could do at the Vce>=Vcc part. It just seemed such a waste to not try to keep the part at the low Vce. Maybe for very-low-impedance speakers? (Just trying to justfy myself here...).

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Hmm. Yes, I guess you're right. Well, I tried the best I could do at the Vce>=Vcc part. It just seemed such a waste to not try to keep the part at the low Vce. Maybe for very-low-impedance speakers? (Just trying to justfy myself here...).

Jan Didden

Nothing wrong with seeking perfection as an end in itself... :nod:

...I reckon you'll find the zener diode bit in:

Becker, R. B. H., ‘High-power audio amplifier design’. Wireless world, February 1972, pg. 81.

janneman said:
.......... So, for longer-time shorts etc maybe we should include a thermal breaker.

Jan Didden

Vital...:nod:

The choice of SOA protection locus may also need to accomodate the choice of heatsink...viz: derate locus to roughly march tolerable dissipation with selected heatsink for indefinite shorts...AKA prolonged SOA violation...

janneman said:

Jan Didden

If you accomodate a 4ohm<60deg. load, you should find virtually all common resistive loads taken care of......roughly down to 2ohms with double slope protection, or 1ohm with a triple slope regime.......

Sam,

Good point. But an amp with a well-designed V/I limiter should be able to survive an event as you describe. In fact, it should be able to survive a continuous short, except for the thermal factor. Although the short-circuit dissipation should be within the device capacity, it does raise the heatsink temp until the point where the device still fails. So, for longer-time shorts etc maybe we should include a thermal breaker.

Jan Didden

A well designed VI limiter should be able to do all that AND not effect sound quality. I believe there are some that do all this. I also have experience with some that don't. And as you say some that are OK for a while until thermal failure enters.

BTW, I also note that the voltage and current present at some amplifier outputs, at least the more powerful ones, are potentially hazardous. VI-limiters provide protection from this as well. This is another reason why I'm not fond of bare binding posts. Of course it is good to know that there is protection should I become the "shortest path to ground", I really would prefer not be in that situation. Same for guests, pets, and small children.

I'm all for VI limiters - always use them -- but it should never be forgotten that anytime a VI limiter becomes active it means some other system has failed.

"No..."

Yes, the VI limiter should NEVER engage on program material into a normal load. If it does:

There is an operator fault (heavy clipping)
There is an operator fault (too many drivers)
There is a load fault (short in speaker wire)
There is a load fault (shorted turns on coil/rub)
etc.

Yes, the VI limiter should NEVER engage on program material into a normal load. If it does:

There is an operator fault (heavy clipping)
There is an operator fault (too many drivers)
There is a load fault (short in speaker wire)
There is a load fault (shorted turns on coil/rub)

Add the general category of "design fault". Not necessarily of the amplifier. For instance speakers having drastic impedance dips. Very analogous to software that is incompatible with other software or hardware that any reasonable person would expect it to encounter routinely. The reverse is also valid.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
True, but excepting a poor load design, everything else is an operator fault. I say this because only the operator can control these situations. Running a set of Ohms on most amps would be an operator fault as well. Like using a car to plow a field - it ain't designed for that.
-Chris

This discussion points out one difference in DIY vs. commercial considerations. If you are designing something for commercial use it is wise (if only to limit warranty returns) to build in as many protection from operator error and "other Product" compatability as you can think of. For DIY you can restrict the design to actual requirements.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
Sorry, but yes. If you are sure of your load and operation you don't need SOA protection. As a DIYer, it's your own call (pro choice :D ) For a commercial (sold to others) product I fully support your opinion.

Having said that, there are many products without much protection at all. Many of them British over the years, so ....

-Chris (flame suit on)

Hi Chris,
I don't like your answer but your absolutely right, protection is optional. Maybe that's why so many British brands no longer exist!
The only reason any designer might leave all protection out is to preserve the sound quality.
Good design will ensure that sound quality is not compromised.
Oh, there is another reason to omit - cheapskate!!

There are many simple protections available, that are cheap including fusible resistors which can replace individual Re on the outputs and 'PTC fuses or polyswitches' that can be put inside the feedback loop.

But not many amplifiers even have off cycle tailored SOA limiters, relying on pulse region. Why? Reactive loads are not suddenly pulsed as soon as Vout goes to the off half voltage.

My PA amplifiers had 2 slope SOAR limiters (slowed) in 1974 with MJ15003/4's and supply fuses. We had few problems in practice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.