Output capacitor: subjective and objective views?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
OTOH you could try to use these errr..varicaps to generate a lot of distortion like the "high end" tube guys love. H2,H4 would be nice but knowing my luck, the non-linearity will give H3,H5...etc out to VHF. Darn!

Its ironic, you know. The electros distort signals when they have no polarizing DC and ceramics distort themselves with it. You'd think they'd get together and cut a deal for linearity.

In my dreams you say?

There aren't many opportunities for most of us to test sound gear, let alone capacitors, with real instruments. You would seem to be uniquely placed there, though I imagine trying higher frequency percussion stuff like triangle, 'sandpaper', maybe harpsichord harmonics etc. that might be appropriate to focus on the upper registers, would be a bit weird to test. I can imagine the neighbours peeking to see what we're doing whacking a triangle at a mic. at 4 a.m. heh heh!

You're right about the effect of the 5uF being swamped by the 5,000 of electro - at frequencies below those where the impedance of the ceramic becomes substantially lower than the electro. At that point, most signal is now flowing via the ceramic and its capacitance is prone to modulation by the AC voltage across it. It's then a non-linear device at AF. In RF, correctly applied, they can be less of a problem. In amps and general AF work they do fine on PSU and rail bypass where such effects are no drama. BTW, if you crack open an FM or AM ceramic fiter you wont see a lot of difference. That should say something. I don't think resonance is an issue here though. Pehaps there is another view...

Well thanks for the details on HF caps. I'm using vile Z5U dielectric Aerovoxs, at $7 each and since they are made in Mexico there are not likely to be quality problems, but as far as Audio Frequency modulation of capacitance I don't know. I have some left over from the organ recap project is the main reason, also as a former digital (TTL STTL) designer, I was taught to put ceramic caps everywhere to cover switching transients. I've designed hundreds of .01 uf ceramics to go in boards in the JSC communications room (1979). NPO 10 uf 50V Aerovox ceramics are $17 each and weren't available in stock when I recapped the organ last winter. The ceramic cap has the wonderful feature of fitting where electrolytics used to be. I have 1 each 10 uf 63 V metalized polyester cap left over, otherwise the next size is some .022 uf polypropylenes left over from the PAS2 recap project. Or a lot of 1960 vintage paper .1 ufs removed from the PAS2. Funny the ST120 sounds so good with the Z5U 5 uf ceramic at the input, but the imput impedance is so high with the hi-gain input transistor (BC108A original Dynaco) that maybe impedence modulation doesn't matter much. Experiment paused until I need to spend $6 shipping something from Newark in NC. Also I need to dissect this 555 containing pcb marked "parts only-defective" and figure out what I need to do to change it to an AF square wave oscillator with .5-1.2 VAC output. Also a second scope probe would be handy, this HH Smith probe I got for $30 twenty years doesn't seem to be made anymore.
I make a lot of weird noises at 1AM in the morning. I live across the street from the industrial park and 50' from the nearest house with 1" plaster walls, so I play anything as loud as I want anytime I want. Scott Joplin on the Steinway, Pictures at an Exhibition as hard as I can hit the piano, JS Bach with the go pedal all the way down and the bass pot in the preamp turned all the way up. The H182 has a 15" woofer and a 40 W 7591 woofer amp, I can drown out the cars driving by with the boom tubes. Joan Jett or ZZ Top on the SP2's, also Moussorski Bald Mountain last night. I got my training in a high school band that marched 12 tubas and 24 drummer with twin bass drums and 10 tenor drums, there is no such thing as too much bass.

Last edited:
High value Ceramic is crap. Please measure them for DISTORTION at low frequencies or IM, they have 'non return to zero, and very high DA. Indianjo, you would do better with an aluminum cap. I published this in 1978. For DA, look at Walt Jung's website. There is no worse cap than a high value ceramic.

the numbers suggest bypassing a 5000-10000 uF output coupling cap with a few uF of anything is not likely to have audible effect

if it does it just means you've suceeded in coupling in RF pollution to your feedback loop - because it has no meaningful effect on audio frequencies where the esr of the big electros is milliOhms and |Z| of 1 uF is 16 Ohm @ 10 KHz - remember you have to divide the "effect" again by the esr/R_speaker and you easily get -100 dB and that only at the highest audible frequencies

Thanks J Curl, your LF distortion results for ceramic caps did not make wikipedia, which warned me of microphonics on ceramic caps beofre I bought them. On the loud Hammond organ recapped with 10 uf Z5U ceramics, microphonics so far not a problem. Distortion on a sine wave addition organ may be audible but not obvious; what is an electronic organ "supposed" to sound like. Everybody on the internet tells me a Hammond H100 is tinny and lacks bass, which means to me they haven't changed their electrolytic caps since 1968. JCX, this3300- 5000 uf output cap is outside the feedback loop, outside the terminals of the amp. (I was proposing 10 uf, not 1uf). JW Erath built speakers that had the optically sensed feedback from the woofers of speakers into the amp feedback loop, but including feedback for speaker response for treble would inolve microphones and bit bucket delay lines to align the phase with what is going out, not really a viable idea considering the slow speed of sound in air, and that music involves many transients, not just sine waves.

A short story for everyone else: Back 1971, I was trying to improve my Fisher FM 60 tuner with improved output caps. What did I choose? A 2 uF monolythic ceramic. Why not?. Yes, I got improved bass transmission. However, over time, I got listeners fatigue. Yes, that's what the cap gave me. Later, in 1974, I saw a graphic reproduction of what ceramics actually do. They actually have hysteresis. Non-return to zero. It was on the screen. No other cap does that in any significant way. IF you want hi fi, go for fidelity. If you want an effects generator, then maybe ceramic might be an interesting way to go.

Z5Us are really horrible if the voltage across them varies, they are only useful for logic supply decoupling and hf switched mode.
Any decent electrolytic has negligible inductance at audio frequencies. Poor track design and long flying leads can easily have orders of magnitude higher inductance.

We are still unsure aren't we ?

Some real world pictures to illustrate.
Note the PSU and just 10uf caps to give masses of ripple. Note the 10 ohm in series with each (think of the e.s.r. with those) added to enable the current to be seen.

The "amplifier" is as bad as it gets... an unbiased buffer.
I used 100 hz as a test frequency to enable pictures to be photographed from the scope.

Image 1 shows the input to the buffer as the top trace at 10 volts pk/pk, the output across the load as the middle and the correspnding ripple component in the lower. The ripple is approx 1.5v pk/pk measured across the upper 10 ohm.
The output is perfect, even with only 10uf in the PSU and masses of ripple. In fact the ripple is larger than the signal... but the output is unaffected.
Due to the way the scope triggers the phase relationship between the ripple and the signal is not accurate... more on that later.

Image 2 shows the above but with a 10uf cap "in series" with the load... as we expect it's effect is dramatic as it forms a low pass filter.

The output current really does pass through this.

Image 3 shows a sinwave input... DC coupled, so no loss of LF.

Image 4 again a sinewave, now AC coupled via 10uf, loss of LF.

Image 5 is with the buffer fed from the 50 hz secondary voltage (via a divider of course) to show the true relationship between the ripple component and the signal. The waveform is distorted because that's exactly what it does look like on the secondary when the transformer is supplying the current to the circuit.

So I hope that explains what I am trying to put across.

Hi Moly, your explanation is very good but i think it's is incomplete yet. :D

For your split supply and dc coupled amp figures, can you illustrate the complete AC signal Path (also in the power supply)?

Then you must redraw this AC Signal path, if you substitute the input symmetrical signal with a unsymmetrical signal.

Now the result is very different, i think. ;) and that way is more important because an audio amp not manages symmetrical signal or at least proper circuit distortion transform the signal to unsymmetrical.

Francesco.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi mos57

Oh heck ;) not again... post #126 I thought I called it a day on this one.

So why not try it and see for yourself :) and post your measurements.

Do you think the output signal would be distorted in some way if for example I switched the 50/50 squarewave to say 90/10 ratio ?

Hi mos57

Oh heck ;) not again... post #126 I thought I called it a day on this one.

So why not try it and see for yourself :) and post your measurements.

Do you think the output signal would be distorted in some way if for example I switched the 50/50 squarewave to say 90/10 ratio ?

Hi Mooly!!!

I am going OT, i think, because my consideration was mainly for class A bias circuit and not for class B as you seems suppose it.

But analisys of signal paths for class A, class B, simmetrical and not symmetrical input signal was very interest.
The psu caps have different importance

Sorry but now i not have the time to prepare a real circuit. :(

Have a good day, Francesco

Read the first four pages and wanted to reply. Mooly has it right. If the PSU caps are in the signal path why dont the relatively huge charging spikes get in the output signal? These caps are buffered to the output by the output transistors. As stated earlier this is the PSRR, and its usually very high for well designed amps. The one thing that may be audible with PSU caps is increasing there value to increase the amps peak current output. (but this also depends on the size of the transformer).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The thread

Capacitors are used at the outputs of some pre and power amplifier designs to block DC offset. Some people have the opinion that these capacitors can be subjectively detected and that they ‘do not sound good’. I would like to ask for your opinion on the subject…

> Preamplifier:
Have you changed a circuit to replace an output capacitor with a DC servo, and if so what was the subjective difference?
Have you made objective distortion measurements with and without the capacitor… any difference?

> Power amplifier:
Large value electrolytic capacitors are placed at the output of single ended transistor amplifiers that use single supply voltages…
Have you heard amplifier designs with electrolytic output coupling capacitors (your own designs or commercial)... what was your opinion of the performance with these capacitors in the circuit?

Well folks, its been great to read the examination of most of Gordy's above posers. The contributions have, I'm sure, been appreciated. Would anyone care to step up to offer their findings on servo substitution or even dare to utter (qualified I suggest) subjective opinion on electrolytic types in the o/p of power amps? :D

I conclude from the thread that these are the only practical type of power o/p capacitor. There are many flavours of electro apart from the already treated bipolar construct. Low ESR, High ripple current, AC power etc. may be a consideration for optimum sound. Of course there are brand and graded series of audio capacitors but this may be asking for a bun fight on just that brand/undefined type preference. :flame:

But the views are......

Last edited:
Hi people, what i try to tell you is that after Mooly's explanation, we can think that psu capacitors, not being in the signal path, they not are important for sound reproducion: Its' false!!!! :nownow:

In the past years i have substitute the two Mallory 10.000 microF. psu caps in my Spectral DMA50 (50W class B complementary amp) with these others:

1)LCR
2)SPRAGUE
3)ROE
4)JENSEN 4 POLE.

The sound was very different for each type of caps, the influence was for me as strong as series output caps!!!

So we need a better and a deeper investigation about. :magnify:

Francesco.

Ok, but my last comment was derived from fig.1 in post 111.

Indianajo, i think that ps supply caps in this tipical circuit aren't a simply "filter" element and my experience wrote in the post above, confirm this.
So it's difficult separate ps caps from output caps

Speaking rigorous, nobody answered to Gordy questions, seems to me!!!! :D:D:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Gentlemen, it has been a very interesting thread. Overall the conclusion seems to be that there is no conclusion, and no definite agreement as to impact of output capacitors.

I will be experimenting with the output of a power follower shortly. As for sound quality of PSU caps I feel that it is a potentially complex subject as it is difficult to separate the cap from the system, as they work as one whole network. Indeed it would need to be assessed with and without regulation, with different types of rectifier, different configurations of active circuits, etc., etc.. This suggests a separate thread, but not one for me to start.

As for here, then let conversation continue as however you please. I think Ian's call for opinions on output servos (and their impact on the substitution for capacitors) is a sensible request...

... so any opinions?

physics, engineering truth isn't determined by popular vote nor does the the journalist's "balanced coverage" dialectic view with the truth "somewhere in the middle" replace scientific method

some nut cases are just wrong, their views deserve no weight

things "unpopular" can be right

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.