Ottawa DIY winter 2014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Come anyway. We enjoy the company.

You do not have to bring anything.

You can simply show up and enjoy the stuff that gets there.

And if you can bring a projector that would make my presentation much more enjoyable for all.

Hey Mark, No luck on the projector. I stopped by my son's house this afternoon to check if it might be there, but it looks like he may have left it at his office after the last time he used it.

Is that OPC jr helping Mark setup some Funk Audio speakers, it must run in the family

Attachments

• Ottawadiy2014001.jpg
    Ottawadiy2014001.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 273
And now to break the ice on what I heard.

Some people say that a designer always loves his work.

Not me.

I listen. If I like it, then great. If I don't like it I find out how to make it better.

To characterise the listening space, well it is fairly live. But not insanely so.

We set the enclosures about 1/4 of the way into the room driving them the length of the room.

In the past I have found that the more faithful and revealing the speakers, the more I found I had a love hate relationship with recordings. This happened to the nth degree with these speakers. If you ad a mediocre recording, it was taken apart with a rusty saw and an old pair of pliers. You can hear every edit, every contrivance a recording engineer uses to trick us into thinking you are listening to a decent recording.

Ouch!

But.

Play a truly great recording and the beasts come alive. They are so clean and dynamic that you tend to play them quite loud. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I'l leave it at that.

I have heard many things on these speakers that I have never heard before.

And we auditioned some very demanding recordings that Medium John (MrSlim), and Little John (Multisync) brought.

Drums, whips champagne corks. All very interesting tests of a speakers dynamic range.

The Straus music and sound effects was provided by Eric Kunzel and Cincinatti POPs Ein Straussfest on the Telarc label CD-80098

I think we enjoyed Champagne Polka, Banditen Galop, Explosions Polka and the favorite heart stimulator Unter Donner Und Blitz Polka (Under Thunder And Lightning Polka).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.