• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Otl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
how complicated and oversized most OTL designs are
Some of that seems to be to stabilize the output votage, so you can throw away the ouput cap. ;)

Would 470K be enough leak to hold all those 6080's down?
I meant that each valve has a minimum recommended leak value, so it doesn't go "runnaway". When you parallel valves, I would think that value should be divided by the number of valves - though I could be worng..:xeye:

Re: SPREAD THE WORD...

fdegrove said:
Assume a recommended gridleak R of 500K...now if one // the two how about the gridleak R now?

Frank, Rg is not a "gridleak"... this is the same thing we were discussing yesterday. The 6080's are cathode biased. The cathode is referenced to ground, and raised postive by the resistor in series with it. Meanwhile, we need to also reference the grid to DC ground so it will "see" the cathode as postive... we do this with a resistor. The resistor also happens to be a load for the previous tube, so we make it big, in order to not lose a lot of signal.

Is there still confusion??:confused:

A tube always has some input impedance. Whether it is 1 meg,10 meg, or 100 meg there is current flow.
I think the reactive component (C - Miller)exceeds any perceived resistance that might occur due to spacecharge.
So in the absence of a grid leak R, you're just charging and discharging a few pf's.

To reiterate:
I don't believe that any current flows through the grid leak resistor, except at startup, and in the case of current runaway.

I'd be interested to be proven wrong:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.