Opening the new DacMagic????

Tasters notes on the 840C with the same Anagram tech as the DACMagic.

The DAC in the 840C takes the plus points of the DACMagic onto a much higher level. The detail is there with the width and depth of the soundstage, so is the low bass. But the 840C goes deeper into the sub-bass and any track with surround reverb or effects extends out to where you are sitting.

I am not sure what the key difference in the 840C is that gives it the "extra" over the DACMagic. I suspect it is a combination of the factors discussed in this thread like the microprocessor, the DAC chips, and the separate power supplies.

I've been lurking around this thread for a while looking for ways to improve my CA DacMagic.

Glen2's idea to utilise the Balanced outputs to give a non balanced output with minimum tweaking led me to find this on ebay.

1M Gotham 'XLR SOCKET - PHONO' stereo interconnect set on eBay (end time 02-Feb-11 16:25:14 GMT)

The guys who makes these will do it leaving pin 3 floating for the same money. He delivered within a couple of days and the cables are very well built. This may seem a little supicious for my first post, but I thought I'd just help if anyone was looking to make their own - here is a quick way to get going. I am in no way affiliated with this seller. But the speed with which he turned around something mildly bespoke was quite impressive.

Hope this helps.

I've been lurking around this thread for a while looking for ways to improve my CA DacMagic.

Glen2's idea to utilise the Balanced outputs to give a non balanced output with minimum tweaking led me to find this on ebay.

1M Gotham 'XLR SOCKET - PHONO' stereo interconnect set on eBay (end time 02-Feb-11 16:25:14 GMT)

The guys who makes these will do it leaving pin 3 floating for the same money. He delivered within a couple of days and the cables are very well built. This may seem a little supicious for my first post, but I thought I'd just help if anyone was looking to make their own - here is a quick way to get going. I am in no way affiliated with this seller. But the speed with which he turned around something mildly bespoke was quite impressive.

Hope this helps.

Good tip/lead (sorry about the pun!)

Has anyone got the Dacmagic service manual ? I tried the link but it didn't work.

I've replaced most of the caps in mine and i've got a Teddyreg feeding the dacs (Not the new Superteddyreg)

I'm thinking of replacing the 7815/7915 that feeds the opamps with a couple of Teddyregs too.

Just wondered if it would be possible to upgrade the supply to the clock. I did this in my Cambridge 640v2 cdp and thought it was a good improvement.

Hi,
would you be so kind and post a picture from the implemented
teddyreg? How did you manage to fit it in?

Greetings Ulf

Hi Ulf,

Sorry, I forgot to take a photo. I promise to take one the next time I open the Dacmagic (Probably next friday)

I sat the Teddyreg above the dac chips on flying leads. I bought some large heatshrink tubing (ebay) of around 50mm wide and covered it in that.

High frequencies are starting to shimmer and the midrange seems more alive. I would imagine it'll improve as bit more with running-in.

Hi Fatmarley, do you still want a service manual?

Yes, if you've got a copy that would be great ! My email is mattfarley at msn dot com

I echo le 'flu's respect for fitting the Teddyreg in the box, well done! The DAC regulator is the next step after the cheap capacitors as more experienced contributors will probably confirm?

I've got to try and stuff two more Teddyregs in there yet (to feed the opamps). I'm hoping to fix the regs to the existing heatsink. Looking at your photo, I will have to cut the wings off the heatsink to make it flat (angle grinder at the ready !) and then drill some holes in the heatsink to fix the regs - should be fun.

I'll try to remember to take some photo's (assuming all goes well)

Cheers
Matt

Yet Another Picture

Since the Elna caps have larger footprint than the stock NPs, a little creativity was required :) . This could give trouble when trying to fit AD797s on Browndogs...

The observant viewer may notice an 11k class-A bias resistor across one of the OPA1612s.

Did anyone else notice that playback temporarily stops when using the flash on a digicam? My guess is that the dacmagic is not very "EMC-proof". Or could it be the light?

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

Attachments

• dac_1.jpg
    dac_1.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 893
Since the Elna caps have larger footprint than the stock NPs, a little creativity was required :) . This could give trouble when trying to fit AD797s on Browndogs...

The observant viewer may notice an 11k class-A bias resistor across one of the OPA1612s.

Did anyone else notice that playback temporarily stops when using the flash on a digicam? My guess is that the dacmagic is not very "EMC-proof". Or could it be the light?

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

Is that resistor across pins 1 and 5? Is it worth doing?