Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

Hi Uriah,
being a preamp moron I'm glad you're on the list :)

The batch file package is not continuously updated with the new .elf files, so you will need to download the latest .elf. Then you can do C:\flip_directory\bin>prog latest.elf. That requires that you hold prog, pres reset, release reset, release prog.

Alternatively, use test.bat which will tell you what to do. However, test.bat doesn't point to the very latest firmware.

Børge

This noise I am experiencing has come up when I switch songs but infrequently. Also comes up in maybe 1 of 10 pause/play pushes. Later it started coming up by itself in the middle of a song. It lasts from 10-20 seconds.
if you have an older firmware, such kind of noise may be caused by unexpected loss of streaming (i.e., underruns). Though in your case the noise seems to last for too long to be that.

Nevertheless, do you possibly have some heavy and/or I/O intensive process(es) running on your PC which may interfere with proper real-time operation of the USB stream?

If you install the latest firmware ( audio-widget-nik-2011-12-29.elf ), loss of streaming (underruns) will cause silence ("gaps") instead of noise.

Should that happen in your case, you'll know what to look for... ;)

Last edited:
Output impedance: LED source 30 mOh. TL431 source 180 mOh.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In case anyone is interested this is a design plate 33 mm x 22 mm you can put into AB-1.1.

(*)The LED source has the option of resistance (R = 634 for a red LED about 1.7 V) or potentiometer is more advisable (the voltage varies with each LED).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Borge et al,

I'm glad I got a new AB1.1 from you a couple of days ago.

Comparing the new AB1.1 with the stock firmware and my AB1.0 with the latest audio-widget-nik firmware, the stock AB1.1 just sounds WORSE :-( The bass is weak and the voice range just a tad harsh.

This morning I updated the AB1.1 with the latest nik branch firmware and voila, the SQ improved significantly and is now on par with my AB1.0.

So I strongly advice all AB1.1 users to upgrade your firmware.

Borge: you might like to ship new AB1.1 with the latest firmware.

Alex

Today Oneclock and me, we made some listening tests with three AB1.1 (And one Buffalo II+Legato 3 for reference). One AB1.1 with the led regulator, other with the 431 regulator, and other is a original unit.

The best sound for us........without any doubt.........is the 431 regulator (AVcc and clock), have a more open and detailed scene than the others and more dynamic sound. The led regulator is a bit more open than the regular one, but is a bit dark and veiled in comparision.

6696276289_7c4521735e_z.jpg

Today Oneclock and me, we made some listening tests with three AB1.1 (And one Buffalo II+Legato 3 for reference). One AB1.1 with the led regulator, other with the 431 regulator, and other is a original unit.

Hi. I've been following the thread for a while and was wondering how the 431 reg AB1.1 compared to the Buffalo. I ask because I have listened to a Buffalo II a friend has and like the sound a lot, so I would have a reference point for the comparison!

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I've been following the thread for a while and was wondering how the 431 reg AB1.1 compared to the Buffalo. I ask because I have listened to a Buffalo II a friend has and like the sound a lot, so I would have a reference point for the comparison!
Basically all audio quality assessment is relative to the listener's past experiences. It's also very dependent upon the amplifiers and speakers used, not to mention the source material. In other words, there are a huge number of variables and no clear winners.

Thanks in advance.

IMMO the buffalo II (+Legato III) is better, more relaxed sound, more defined bass...... But the AB1.1 is very good (Especialy for the cost).

In other hand, all the variables is on the photo: Quad ESL2805, Pass XA30.5 and Pass-Salas DCB1. Three devices playing on the same equipment and same place, all devices identical but with diferent regulators. A lot of different music (Some mixed by me).

Of course, like all listening tests, all are subjective, but I prefer the 431 mod :D

Basically all audio quality assessment is relative to the listener's past experiences. It's also very dependent upon the amplifiers and speakers used, not to mention the source material. In other words, there are a huge number of variables and no clear winners.

Strictly as my own personal experience, I have found the reviews where the sound is compared to something I've listened to before, whether on my own system or a friend's, to be easier for me to picture in my mind. I'm not looking for a clear winner, I just wanted to know how the sound compared to something I've listened to before in several different systems, including mine. Thanks for the warning, I'll refrain from asking such questions in this website in the future.

In other hand, all the variables is on the photo: Quad ESL2805, Pass XA30.5 and Pass-Salas DCB1. Three devices playing on the same equipment and same place, all devices identical but with diferent regulators.

Thanks ramallo, that is very helpful. I too have a DCB1 for a preamp and electrostatic speakers (Acoustat, not Quads). The AB1.1 seems to be an excellent value for the price, and it comes assembled and is open source. I think I will get one!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a small change to add. I'll post the detail tomorrow when I am back in front of a computer. I realized I need to add a protection diode on the E-B junction to protect it. Nothing difficult.

I have no problem with you doing a group buy. I would like to review the layout beforehand. You can never have too many eyes on one. Surface mount is fine, just manage the power and the big caps.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

J-test signal

Hi guys,

I have read through the paper on the J-test signal at http://www.nanophon.com/audio/diagnose.pdf

What strikes me is that this input signal is designed to fool a clock regenerator / AES3 receiver to generate its maximum amount of jitter. This is done by transmitting what is essentially the same fs/4 signal with mainly zeros or with mainly ones. A full cycle of zeros... ones... has a frequency of fs/192.

As far as I can interpret the paper, this signal only applies when the performance of the clocking circuit depends on the actual data bits. In the Audio Widget the clock stems from precision oscillators, not from an AES3 or S/PDIF receiver.

Thus, for jitter purposes, we might as well study the frequency-domain response of a pure tone as the J-test signal.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstood here!

Børge

Updated batch file programmer

I'm catching up a bit after travelling.

An updated programming kit is at Add_to_flip345_bin_20120115.zip

This time around the .bat file is generic, and you provide the firmware file as the 1st parameter. "test.bat audio-widget-nik-2011-12-29.elf" should do the trick. That .elf file, being the latest from Alex in the downloads section, is also included in the Add_to_flip... zip file.

BUT: I pulled from github both today and on 20111229. Using make-widget-win7 based on AVR32Studio 2.7.0 build 851 the .elf files I made on 20111229 and today both differ from Alex's uploaded audio-widget-nik-2011-12-29.elf.

Alex, do you have uncommitted code?

I'd appreciate your help in finding out how I can compile the same on my system as on Alex's. Perhaps that is the reason some kits have shipped with non-ideal firmware.

Børge

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The JTest signal is optimized for stressing the interface but it works well for any jitter and there have been a number of test results published that you can compare against.

You can use a tone and look at the sidebands. Make sure the tone is a exact subdivison of the sample rate.